First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
My JL is nearly 2 years old now. Carplay (8.4 inch screen) has cut in and out frequently since I purchased it. I like to use it for WAZE but with it disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes, it's nearly impossible to use. About 30% of the time, I plug my phone in to the USB (and the phone is unlocked) and the car doesn't even recognize it... nothing happens, even after 10 or 20 minutes. I have changed cables, using an official apple cable made no difference. My fuses are pushed in.

Just wondering if anyone else is having these issues rendering Carplay almost useless or I am in the room alone here?
Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have my Jeep for ~4 months. Just started having CarPlay problems. Same issues as yours. Was just about to change the cable to OEM.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yup same boat....I just use the bluetooth now The carplay is a major letdown!

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Really disappointed. Was working perfectly until a month ago. Maybe it’s latest update to IOS?

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I didn't update my phone because I had heard it may not play nice with the jeep system ...then it started to disconnect on my hour long commute to work at 4:30 am in the dark ...and I'd be unplugging and re-plugging phone while driving!!!! When that became a regular occurrence I honestly said to myself what a fkng PIA and just started using the blue tooth, which I might add always connects and stays connected. I love the system when it works but it doesn't work that often! I'm not willing to have the morons at the dealership take it either...it's my DD and not interested in having it sit until they get a chance to look at it. Sad I know but for all the good this jeep has there is def some parts that do not live up to the hooplah.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Sponsored

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No issue's since I switched to the cable that came with the phone. 24k miles. Last IOS update makes you use Siri now to change a playlist if you're still moving. You can no longer select a playlist while on the go.

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
Hi all,

Same issues from the Android side of the world and I'll tell you it's not related to the cable in many cases. Like the OP said, 10% of the times I start the car it doesn't recognize the phone and will not do so unless I let the car sit off for a while, I don't know why it locks itself out like that.

Also, I have used a ton of cables, from super cheap ones (USB 2.0) to super expensive ones (USB 3.0 and 3.1) and none change the frequency of this happening fyi...

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I will try the recommended cable above, perhaps it will work. Thank you for the recommendation. The problem has been consistent for me for nearly 2 years. Many different iOS updates and cables. No obvious link to one particular thing causing this. Such a shame because Carplay is fantastic when it works.

On a side note, is everyone plugging the USB into the the center console armrest area? Does anyone use the USB on the dash?

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
No issues here. I’ve been using CarPlay since I got the Jeep about 1.5 yrs ago. Running iOS 13.3 and plugged into the USB port below the 8.4” display using an Anker USB-A to Lightning cable.

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
Zero problems in the 10 months I’ve had my Jeep. I use carplay every time i get in my Jeep. I regularly use my iPhone 11 Max Pro or family members plug in (iPhone 8, XR, and X) haven’t seen a single issue.
Sponsored