Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Brandy, you lucked out. I went in for a new asthma med. They made me do a cardio stress test. That led to an angiogram. That led to a triple bypass, which led to pneumonia. Shot the shit out of five months. I know gallstones are no fun, but...
Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Everything turned out good.:like: No heart issues. But they are leaning towards it was my gallbladder, since after all the tests, they discovered some stones. I can say my local VA (Dayton Ohio) really tested me well, for the most part. The only real issue I had was the doc doing my heart cath didn't use any sedation. :facepalm: Once he started digging to find my femoral artery, I made it abundantly clear that I needed more lidocaine and some sedation. :angry: Thanks for all the well wishes. :captain:
Thanks for the update! Hang in there!

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Everything turned out good.:like: No heart issues. But they are leaning towards it was my gallbladder, since after all the tests, they discovered some stones. I can say my local VA (Dayton Ohio) really tested me well, for the most part. The only real issue I had was the doc doing my heart cath didn't use any sedation. :facepalm: Once he started digging to find my femoral artery, I made it abundantly clear that I needed more lidocaine and some sedation. :angry: Thanks for all the well wishes. :captain:
Good deal. Now relax and have a Merry Christmas.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Curious - in civies as active duty or as a veteran, do you salute the flag during the national anthem or remove your cap and place your hand over your heart?

I was given an "attitude" by a veteran about saluting the flag during the national anthem last night at a baseball game. His attitude changed after I showed him a copy of the "A provision of the 2009 Defense Authorization Act changed federal law to allow U.S.veterans and military personnel not in uniform to render the military hand-salute when the national anthem is played." - thanks Google :)
Did you make him drop and give you 20?

I work on a military installation and I will salute at Revelee and at To the Colors. I'll even salute the flag as it passes during parades.

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Joined the U.S. Airforce in 1977 and served as a Security Policeman, I worked in the minuteman ICBM fields in South Dakota. I was stationed in Turkey for one year and when stationed at Ellsworth AFB I worked at the Delta Launch Control Facility which is now a Cold War National Monument managed by the National Parks Services. Tours are available. I left the AF in 1981.
in 1983 I joined the U.S Army as an Infantryman and spent an additional 22 years in service till I retired in 2005. During my time in the Army I completed Airborne school, Pathfinder and earned my Ranger Tab. I have served 6 years in Germany. I have never been deployed!
My Father served in WWII as a paratrooper with the 101st and he was at Bastogne. I believe the spirit of my father had kept watch over me during my time in service which prevented me from being deployed. Every time I PSCed, the unit i left was activated and deployed within a few short months. That happened throughout my carrier. I missed Grenada, Panama, the First gulf war, OIF, Afghanistan, All in the same way. I even missed out on peace keeping operations to Bosnia. I have served and readied myself for combat, trained my men as best I could, contacted DA for reassignment to theatre only to be left on the bench. Although I have 26 years of active military service, I never considered it real time. I have lost friends that I have served with, men that I have trained. I do have service connected disabilities but I cannot bring myself to take up time at the VA when men and women more deserving than me are trying to be seen. You men and women with real time have my deepest respect and thanx. I am real sorry I couldn't be there and it should have been me. I am so humble in your presence.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Joined the U.S. Airforce in 1977 and served as a Security Policeman, I worked in the minuteman ICBM fields in South Dakota. I was stationed in Turkey for one year and when stationed at Ellsworth AFB I worked at the Delta Launch Control Facility which is now a Cold War National Monument managed by the National Parks Services. Tours are available. I left the AF in 1981.
in 1983 I joined the U.S Army as an Infantryman and spent an additional 22 years in service till I retired in 2005. During my time in the Army I completed Airborne school, Pathfinder and earned my Ranger Tab. I have served 6 years in Germany. I have never been deployed!
My Father served in WWII as a paratrooper with the 101st and he was at Bastogne. I believe the spirit of my father had kept watch over me during my time in service which prevented me from being deployed. Every time I PSCed, the unit i left was activated and deployed within a few short months. That happened throughout my carrier. I missed Grenada, Panama, the First gulf war, OIF, Afghanistan, All in the same way. I even missed out on peace keeping operations to Bosnia. I have served and readied myself for combat, trained my men as best I could, contacted DA for reassignment to theatre only to be left on the bench. Although I have 26 years of active military service, I never considered it real time. I have lost friends that I have served with, men that I have trained. I do have service connected disabilities but I cannot bring myself to take up time at the VA when men and women more deserving than me are trying to be seen. You men and women with real time have my deepest respect and thanx. I am real sorry I couldn't be there and it should have been me. I am so humble in your presence.
Great story, Dave. You still served, don't beat yourself up. :captain::flag:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those Military Veterans that have a disability rating of 10% or more and love to travel and visit the National Parks. Be advised that the National Parks service issues out "Access Passes" Free of Charge for Life to veterans with disabilities. All you have to do is bring your VA letter with an ID card to any National Park that charges a fee and they will issue you a card that will grant you free access to National Parks. Certain price reductions on campsites. Access to Army corp of Engineer lands, BLM and other federal lands. The card is good for free access to you and your vehicle and your passengers. Entry into National Parks can cost $30-$40 bucks per vehicle.

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Merry Christmas to my military family:like:
Also, beginning January, for those of you that have a service connected disability rating, you can use the PX/Commissary/MWR facilities:like:
  • Veterans
    • On Jan. 1, Veterans eligible solely under this act who are eligible to obtain a Veteran Health Identification Card must use this credential for in-person installation and privilege access. The card must display the Veteran’s eligibility status (i.e., PURPLE HEART, FORMER POW or SERVICE CONNECTED). Apply here: https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/vhic/index.asp.
    • Veterans eligible solely under this act who are not enrolled in or are not eligible to enroll in VA health care, or who are enrolled in VA health care, but do not possess a Veteran Health Identification Card will not have access to DoD and Coast Guard installations for in-person commissary, exchange, and MWR retail privileges, but will have full access to online exchanges and American Forces Travel.
    • Medal of Honor recipients and Veterans with 100% service-connected disability ratings are eligible for DoD credentials under DoD policy.
  • Caregivers
    • Eligible caregivers will receive an eligibility letter from VA’s Office of Community Care.
    • If you are a primary family caregiver under the PCAFC and lose your eligibility letter, please call 1-877-733-7927 to request a replacement. Please allow two weeks for processing.
Here's a link to the VA blog that gives you more info:captain:
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/67...r-access-extended-veterans-beginning-january/

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How the hell have a bunch of vets with a Jeep problem managed to not talk trash for two months? Especially with the Super Bowl! (Or the puppy and kitten bowl that my wife watched)
WTF! you went and did it now! It doesn't mean where not watching. some of us are in our hide position.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
How the hell have a bunch of vets with a Jeep problem managed to not talk trash for two months? Especially with the Super Bowl! (Or the puppy and kitten bowl that my wife watched)
I was maintaining a low profile so as not to get “volunteered” for anything.