Sponsored

Bike hitch mounts

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ok last thing I did was add a couple springs I had sitting around. Swinging the whole thing up into place w just my mtn bike loaded was surprisingly heavy. The springs aren't a panacea but definitely helped.

IMG_20190623_135837523.jpg
Sponsored

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hi all,

(Thank you in advance for any guidance/advice/suggestions). I have a 2019, 4 door, Sport and need to get a bike hitch mount for a mountain bike. Curious to know if anyone has any recommendations less than $300. I read an article from ‘etrailer’ that suggested one from Thule which sounded good but it did not come with locks or straps ...which came at an additional cost making it more expensive in the end. I would like everything in all one package- unfortunately no knowledge or awareness regarding hitch mounts. Any help is sincerely appreciated ☀
We have a Saris Bones 3 on a rugged ridge hitch and 8" receiver extension. The bones 3 will accommodate bikes with narrow frames, too.

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I'm a cyclist & racer, have used Kuat racks for many years. For my Jeep I got the Kuat Pivot swing arm and NV 2.0 rack. Works perfectly! The Pivot has two different holes in it and puts it away from my spare tire the perfect amount. When it's folded it flat with no bike on it there is still about 2" of space between the rack and spare, even with my 37" Maxxis Razr back there.

**EDIT: I forgot to mention that to anyone that buys the Pivot swing arm. It comes with a release handle that points straight up and it will not allow you to fully secure it. You need to call Kuat and order the low profile handle (they sent it to me for free) in order to use it with your spare tire on the back. Kuat has the best customer service so they should take care of you.

https://www.kuatonline.com/parts/hitch-mounted/pivot/low-profile-toggle-clamp

UG35JTyl.jpg

aVZdoFxl.jpg
I just got my pivot installed and it's a nice fit. I don't have the tire relocation bracket for my 35" tire so the pivot fits snug right into the receiver. The kit I received had a handle that did't point upward so perhaps Kuat has changed the part they used to provide.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpg

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I just got my pivot installed and it's a nice fit. I don't have the tire relocation bracket for my 35" tire so the pivot fits snug right into the receiver. The kit I received had a handle that did't point upward so perhaps Kuat has changed the part they used to provide.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpg
Need to order one so I can have trunk access and use it as the extender but wondering when your rack is folded up, how far out is the end from the actual hitch? I need to confirm it is the right length so my garage will close.

Thanks for the help!

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
As many others have said: hands down the 1up is amazing. Expensive, but simple, quick to load/unload, strong, and no frame contact.

We put a long hitch from e-trailer on the JL and it fits flush with the back edge of the bumper - didn't need any extenders to make the 1up fit and the bikes clear the spare tire.

jeef rack.jpg

Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Another good excuse to share another photo of a 1up in use :).

I am using the Kuat high low extender with the stock hitch.

BEAA03A5-93BE-4C77-862D-3B3CA9573CC6.jpeg

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Need to order one so I can have trunk access and use it as the extender but wondering when your rack is folded up, how far out is the end from the actual hitch? I need to confirm it is the right length so my garage will close.

Thanks for the help!
It really depends on your rack. The pivot has two different holes for the rack to use so you can move it in or out. I wasn't able to push the rack all the way in to use the 2nd hole as the rack hit my tire when closed.

But I also take off my rack after I'm done using it. I don't think my Jeep would fit in the garage with the rack installed. Pivot stays installed.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93’ Wrangler & 2019 Rubicon JLU
Another good excuse to share another photo of a 1up in use :).

I am using the Kuat high low extender with the stock hitch.

BEAA03A5-93BE-4C77-862D-3B3CA9573CC6.jpeg
This is exactly what I want to do but then read that you can't lock the Kuat extender/
I have a few questions about your Kuat hi low extender:
1. Are you able to lock it?
2. Do you notice any wobble?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
This is exactly what I want to do but then read that you can't lock the Kuat extender/
I have a few questions about your Kuat hi low extender:
1. Are you able to lock it?
2. Do you notice any wobble?
You can purchase the lock that they should have included from Kuat. I have not noticed any wobble. I am happy with it, I just wished Kuat included the lock with their extender.

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
It really depends on your rack. The pivot has two different holes for the rack to use so you can move it in or out. I wasn't able to push the rack all the way in to use the 2nd hole as the rack hit my tire when closed.

But I also take off my rack after I'm done using it. I don't think my Jeep would fit in the garage with the rack installed. Pivot stays installed.
have you noticed your rear suspension sagging down a bit from the pivot being installed all the time? I feel like it does it to mine.

the pivot is pretty heavy on its own
Sponsored