Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing special, when I took the wheels to discount tire to be mounted I asked them to swap out the stock chrome lugs to black ones, so they swapped in black splined lugs.
Sponsored

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Finally installed my Motobilt tire carrier today in prep for more things to come.

IMG_20191207_163502.jpg

IMG_20191207_163450.jpg

IMG_20191207_163457.jpg

IMG_20191207_142734.jpg

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Probably my favorite one I've seen. I think I'll go with that one.
Just wondering if you ever ordered the Hauk bumper and if so, have your received it? I'm ready to order a bumper/tire carrier, but heard the orders are taking an extreme amount of time.

roll

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
vw tdi
Just wondering if you ever ordered the Hauk bumper and if so, have your received it? I'm ready to order a bumper/tire carrier, but heard the orders are taking an extreme amount of time.
I ended going with a Westin. I bought a heavy duty tire carrier. I didn’t want a bumper tire carrier. I liked Hauk because it had a shaft coming out of bumper for tire carrier. I’m going to make a basket that swings like a tire carrier it will be contoured around spare tire and will be the same hight as the tail gate. I’ve not seen 1 basket that looks worth a shit and would be up out of the way, so I’m going to make my own.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
Here's the updated camera cover from Rugged Ridge to fit the factory sized hub. Thank you to Mike Whitelaw @ruggedridge for reaching out with a solution.
20191221_115706.jpg

20191221_114611.jpg

Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6

vaayl

First Name
Victoria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well without going into too much detail, I was pretty set on going with a 285/70r17 or 295/70r17 to start off with. I priced everything out, with lift/new tires/wheels/speed calibrator and labor on the lift. The combo I'm going with is approximately 80 pounds, which is under the recommended weight limit on the tailgate. I figured I'd look into getting a reinforcement panel/hinges down the road if I saw any issues.

I then decided that maybe I'd take a look at the cost difference of just jumping to 315/70r17 and calculated the approximate weight of my new tires and wheels, and one set up would be at least 100 pounds. I was hoping to find myself a relatively inexpensive, but sturdy, way to mount it on the back. After reading through a bunch of posts & reviews I saw the Motobilt tire carrier is getting a lot of awesome reviews, but I figured for the cost to get that one I'd rather just invest in getting a whole new bumper with a carrier.

I was interested in this DV8 one that is strongly lacking in reviews, because of the price it's at right now and the shipping weight is only 62 pounds. I just liked the thought of going with a lighter set up if possible. But like the post you linked, I've seen some not so great reviews for DV8s carriers. I may wait a bit and see if any reviews pop up for it.

Well, it looks like I went into too much detail... :facepalm:

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well without going into too much detail, I was pretty set on going with a 285/70r17 or 295/70r17 to start off with. I priced everything out, with lift/new tires/wheels/speed calibrator and labor on the lift. The combo I'm going with is approximately 80 pounds, which is under the recommended weight limit on the tailgate. I figured I'd look into getting a reinforcement panel/hinges down the road if I saw any issues.

I then decided that maybe I'd take a look at the cost difference of just jumping to 315/70r17 and calculated the approximate weight of my new tires and wheels, and one set up would be at least 100 pounds. I was hoping to find myself a relatively inexpensive, but sturdy, way to mount it on the back. After reading through a bunch of posts & reviews I saw the Motobilt tire carrier is getting a lot of awesome reviews, but I figured for the cost to get that one I'd rather just invest in getting a whole new bumper with a carrier.

I was interested in this DV8 one that is strongly lacking in reviews, because of the price it's at right now and the shipping weight is only 62 pounds. I just liked the thought of going with a lighter set up if possible. But like the post you linked, I've seen some not so great reviews for DV8s carriers. I may wait a bit and see if any reviews pop up for it.

I got a set of front and rear DV8 fender liners. Was totally surprised to see made in china on the box. Fitment on these where a bit of a pain as it took a few trips to hardware store to get everything needed. There are some other treads about their bumpers floating around so you might want to do some searching. LOD has a really nice bumper\tire carrier with tons of options. Also take a look at rustys off-road gate mounted tire carrier. I ended up going with a motobilt but I already had factory steel bumpers. The one thing about the motobilt is it will rust because there are areas you can't reach with paint. Really needs to be dipped but I don't have a place near me that does that. Outside of the rust it works flawless.

Last edited:

Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6

No worries at all! Details are good! Yea when I first started researching bumpers DV8 were actually quite high on my list as a few of them aesthetically were pleasing to me. But after some research I always come up with negative feedback and very few if any positive feedback, so they were off my list quick.

I got a set of front and rear DV8 fender liners. Was totally surprised to see made in china on the box. Fitment on these where a bit of a pain as it took a few trips to hardware store to get everything needed. There are some other treads about their bumpers floating around so you might want to do some searching. LOD has a really nice bumper\tire carrier with tons of options. Also take a look at rustys off-road gate mounted tire carrier. I ended up going with a motobilt but I already had factor still bumpers. The one thing about the motobilt is it will rust because there are areas you can't reach with paint. Really needs to be dipped but I don't have a place near me that does that. Outside of the rust it works flawless.
I second the LOD. I'll admit I'm a bit biased as I do have their destroyer series front bumper and rear tire carrier + bumper, and their sliding roof rack just arrived today. Their craftsmanship, packaging are amazing. Their tire carrier has a lot of options to addon, such as rotopax mounts, hi lift mounts, etc. It is expensive, but buy once cry once. The install was smooth, and doesn't rattle, is built strong. Check out northridge 4x4, they might offer some discounts.

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Finally installed my Motobilt tire carrier today in prep for more things to come.

IMG_20191207_163502.jpg

IMG_20191207_163450.jpg

IMG_20191207_163457.jpg

IMG_20191207_142734.jpg
this is where am leaning toward because I like the bumpers also. I’d like to keep everything the same. How has your experience been with the tire carrier..... does it take the weight off the rear door and support the tire well. I have 35s on the back of my sport and from
The dealer it bounces on a decent bump.... how they thought it was ok to do is beyond me.... anyway if you could give me a review for me

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
this is where am leaning toward because I like the bumpers also. I’d like to keep everything the same. How has your experience been with the tire carrier..... does it take the weight off the rear door and support the tire well. I have 35s on the back of my sport and from
The dealer it bounces on a decent bump.... how they thought it was ok to do is beyond me.... anyway if you could give me a review for me
The carrier from a functional stand point is probably the best on the market. The hinge system and build quality are top notch. The negatives are there are areas you cant reach with paint so there will be some rust on the inside. Also, where the hinge mounts through the gate there is nothing that covers the gaps left by the stock hinges. You can see that in that in my photos. Would I get it again? Yes, because it is rock solid with no rattles. The only other that I might look at would be from rusty's off road. Issue with Rusty's is if you are going with a pretty heavy tire/wheel combo you will need to drill some holes in your gate.

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
The carrier from a functional stand point is probably the best on the market. The hinge system and build quality are top notch. The negatives are there are areas you cant reach with paint so there will be some rust on the inside. Also, where the hinge mounts through the gate there is nothing that covers the gaps left by the stock hinges. You can see that in that in my photos. Would I get it again? Yes, because it is rock solid with no rattles. The only other that I might look at would be from rusty's off road. Issue with Rusty's is if you are going with a pretty heavy tire/wheel combo you will need to drill some holes in your gate.
I appreciate your input. The spots where the hinge mounts enter bothers me but something could be made to somewhat cover it. I don’t like that it’s left so open but from what I can see it needs clearance to open. I wonder if a custom gromet would work but seems far fetched. However I like the product and there bumpers and would like to use one company not a mishmoah of dif ones. Thanks

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
That’s not the case on the Rusty’s. The holes (which are “optional”) are to prevent twist in the handle area. It otherwise mounts exactly the same as the Ace, Motobilt, Evo, etc.
Sponsored