Sponsored

Who's going to LA auto show? what will they show?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Nothing like driving a new Jeep thru a large glass window, so that it can "escape" out into the wilds.

Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Anybody know what day they will be revealing the JL at the auto show? I live about 3 hours away and plan on attending just as soon as I know which days to go. Or will they have them there the whole time?
If they reveal it at the show it will be during one of the media only days. Then they would have it there for all of the days the show is open to the public. That's how most of the new vehicle debuts are done at least.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Definitely going to see the power soft top
I'm cautiously optimistic about the power soft top. Hope it folds better/lower than this one.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah - those are terrible. I'd presume it will be a partial power top where just the roof over the occupants slides back. Then the whole top with the side and rear curtains must be manually removed/lowered.

But you could get that open air ride and close it with the power button.

Hoping it's more than that - but not holding breath as it's quite a fold with the side and rear windows in there.

Redeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197, E90 M3, '13 JK
Yeah - those are terrible. I'd presume it will be a partial power top where just the roof over the occupants slides back. Then the whole top with the side and rear curtains must be manually removed/lowered.

But you could get that open air ride and close it with the power button.

Hoping it's more than that - but not holding breath as it's quite a fold with the side and rear windows in there.
I think a simple power slide back and forth over the entire front and back seats would be adequate. Designing the entire top to fold completely into the trunk adds a lot of complexity and more things that can break down. Also the issue of how you get it to fold the side and rear windows without damage.

I also recall it being called "power sliding hard top" which seems to tip off how it will operate.

Sponsored

jedijeep

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU "Big Bear"
I plan on attending! I bought a 2017 JKU (July of 2017) and I am looking for the upgrade already... so this trip to the LA Auto Show will make/break my decision for an "OEM upgrade" versus an "aftermarket upgrade" for my current JKU's interior/infotainment/etc.

I plan on going on Saturday December 2nd, if anyone else is going same day! Doors open 9am and close at 10pm, tickets are $15 for those hours, or you can get "early entry tickets" (which allows you in at 7am) for $30.

LAAS.jpg

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Definitely going to see the power soft top
I just hope they show the power top to the public at the reveal. But since it won't start production until May 2018 I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I just hope they show the power top to the public at the reveal. But since it won't start production until May 2018 I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.
They will more than likely show a fully spec'd JLU Rubicon with power top to gain as much attention as possible. The Renegade debuted with many features that weren't available until later on in the model year (glass and power roof).

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
They will more than likely show a fully spec'd JLU Rubicon with power top to gain as much attention as possible. The Renegade debuted with many features that weren't available until later on in the model year (glass and power roof).
Good to know. Hope that's the case!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The Renegade debuted with many features that weren't available until later on in the model year (glass and power roof).
As a European made import vehicle, I wouldn't really use the Renegade as the example to go by, as it launched long before it sold it first models in Europe, and then in North American a few months later in the following year.

Although I would expect/suspect they will have at least a working mock-up of the top to give people an idea of what's coming for the Sun worships on the West Coast and those Easterners & Northerners already looking beyond Winter to their next Summer in a Wrangler with the top down.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also remember that the reveal will be during the LA Press days during AutoMobility Nov 27-30.

However, they will likely post the reveal info here around the same time, and hopefully have a live stream.

https://laautoshow.com/manufacturer/jeep/

I would also expect something directly from FCA too.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand delaying it as they have unless there is some issue
Biggest issue was early delays in getting the plant figured out, then there was no major auto show since Detroit's NAIAS for North America, and it wasn't ready last January months before the Cherokee production had even ceased at the plant, let alone started retooling for the JL line at the end of April. Even Geneva was too early, and not the right venue for an American icon.
LA is the first big auto show, but it's so late in the year that it's only about 1 month before Detroit again, however they wanted to show it close to production launch.

I still think it's going to break cover at SEMA and that LA is just for the average folks, but that may also be an issue where only insiders, including press insiders, and enthusiasts get to see it at SEMA and under some disclosure restrictions, and then LA becomes the general public hands-on.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The order codes have it as a 'soft top' rather than a code for the two hard tops that start with 'HT'.

It's going to be the Bestop hybrid top that has been around. R&D ain't cheap.

VegasGT

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I will be going to SEMA and LA auto show. I really want to see it in person before I order one.
Sponsored