Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, wasn’t referring about the entire thread. Simply of one poster dissing 3.45 gears, LSDs, automatic transmissions and what not.
I am interested in hearing his reply to my question.
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Dave, having never driven the 8spd with 4.10 gear ratio, I guess I’m not spoiled against the 3.45. What are the noticeable differences? I’m running 33s; virtually no performance difference from the stock 245/75 17s, on or off road (Florida off-road, that is - heavy mud/water, deep sugar sand, mild to moderate obstacles). Thanks!
Is your's an auto? I think the 8spd probably handles the 3.45 gearing better. My comment was mostly relating to highway speeds on the 6spd/3.45 gears. It's not terrible, but it's not ideal and I'm sure it would be frustrating (for me) with larger-than-stock tires. Just an opinion, not everyone drives the same. I have been having to leave it in 4th on mixed 50-60mph highways or the engine sputters and bogs a lot (even maintaining speed on flat roads or slight acceleration on gentle hills). 1st is quite low though, so, it's not the end of the world for when you need oomph.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Is your's an auto? I think the 8spd probably handles the 3.45 gearing better. My comment was mostly relating to highway speeds on the 6spd/3.45 gears. It's not terrible, but it's not ideal and I'm sure it would be frustrating (for me) with larger-than-stock tires. Just an opinion, not everyone drives the same. I have been having to leave it in 4th on mixed 50-60mph highways or the engine sputters and bogs a lot (even maintaining speed on flat roads or slight acceleration on gentle hills). 1st is quite low though, so, it's not the end of the world for when you need oomph.
What's all the worry about highway speeds with the stock gears? If you don't like the RPM range 6th is providing, shift to fifth or fourth. I get the concern for some owners at 1st gear speeds but regearing for highway performance is silly.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Yay, another poster trying to convince the rest of us that his Jeep configuration is the only one that really works...
Sorry, wasn’t referring about the entire thread. Simply of one poster dissing 3.45 gears, LSDs, automatic transmissions and what not.
I'm guessing that was directed at me? I have 3.45s, so, I'm definitely not trying to convince anyone that my configuration is the only one that works. I also wasn't dissing the LSD, but there are some tradeoffs (as there is with anything), and since BLD works pretty good all I said was that I'm happy with an open diff. I think maybe you were reading what I was writing as me thinking I was some kind of authority on these subjects, but I was just chit-chatting.

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
While traveling with the Wisconsin Golden Gloves team to Chattanooga I got to do some trail riding. My Sport S had only been mine for five months. Aside from bumpers and rails it was pretty stock. We stayed in a river side cabin just below Prentice Cooper State Park. I went to a local 4x4 mod shop and got the skinny on the trails. My favorite was taking it on Haley Road. It handled it pretty easily. That's about the toughest type of trail it'll ever be on. Once the tires wear out I'll go for 33"s. I'm more of an overland exploring jeeper. I'll drive all over to camp and look around.

IMG_20190508_120403.jpg

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I wonder how the traction control/BLD interacts with the LSD (i.e does it do things differently, expecting the LSD will do what it should be doing). If so, will a malfunctioning LSD put you in a worse state than an open diff? I also read that certain road conditions or driving style can cause premature failure on the LSD, but I can't recall what it was... Maybe mud or snow or something where the LSD was constantly working.
The BLD works a little to quick for the LSD to work properly in a slick condition. The winter time I turn my traction control off in mine to allow the LSD to grab and work properly. I personally like the rear to lock up and the tires chew through the snow than the BLD to drag the brakes and cut throttle until full traction is achieved
Now since the the BLD is quicker to respond, it can wear out your clutch in the limited slip due to it dragging one wheel or constantly cutting power causing excessive slip between the plates

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
BLD does not cut engine power, ESC does. BLD is always on in all modes (2H,4H,4L)
ESC is on unless in 4L or you turn it off.
ESC cuts power and uses braking to keep both axles the same speed, it compares forward speed with rear and front axle speed. if either axle is spinning faster than the other and not the same as forward speed, braking and power reduction is used to correct it. Best used when driving on snow packed roads where having a tire(s) break loose and put you sideways an into a ditch. In deep snow or sand turn ESC off to allow keeping wheels churning and power too them, while BLD does its thing only to the tire thats spinning faster than the other on the same axle without cutting power (increased power/torque is needed during BLD engagement)

BLD does not care how fast the axle is spinning and does not compare the front axle to the rear or your forward speed. It only compares the speed of each wheel on that axle and uses braking only to trick the open diff into thinking there is torque at the spinning wheel and it transfers the same amount of torque to the other wheel. If you are stuck and it does not work at first, keep steady throttle or gently increase and let the brake gradually increase until the tire with traction starts working. If you use too much skinny pedal when it grabs.........it could launch you into the trees or other obstacles.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When traveling @ 50-55 my auto stays in 6th gear (1:1). 4th gear in the M-6 spd is also 1:1. So that seems normal.
I have 305/65's and have recalibrated the speedo. Likely the reason most say the Auto handles bigger tires better is because you have 2 more gears than the M6 spd to get to 1:1. Hence 6 gears closer together in the auto and it shifts so smooth you don't even feel it. It makes it a little less work on the drivetrain getting bigger tires rolling.

I have to look at the display to see what gear i'm in, and only feel the shifting when cruise is on and it down shifts for a hill or upshift descending a hill to maintain cruise setting.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My former Jeep was a 2003 TJ Rubicon. Having navigated the same trails in the Rubicon as my current Sport 2Dr, I can tell you there were a few spots where the rear locker was needed in the Rubi. The Sport handled it just as well with the BLD and about the same amount of clearance and similar tires. I'm very impressed with the Sport and BLD. The Ruby had none of the Electronic assist features (the lockers were air lockers).

2003to2018.jpg

50%Rubicon2014.jpg

70 percent copy.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
6-speeds get a D44 rear even without LSD. I prefer this configuration as there are fewer things to fail/replace (clutch plates), and BLD gets the does job done.
I checked my build sheet and it says M220?

I have the 6-speed.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
M220 is the dana 44 equivalent. And i agree that the LSD option seems pointless with BLD and just a money maker for FCA that adds more maintenance with very little return in capability.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
M220 is the dana 44 equivalent. And i agree that the LSD option seems pointless with BLD and just a money maker for FCA that adds more maintenance with very little return in capability.
thanks! I’m still learning about all this stuff, pardon my ignorance!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all this info. I am about as Newbie as you can get. Still learning !!! :like:

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I disagree, having driven and owned both open and limited in both the JK and JL platform, limited slip adds quite a bit traction aid over pure open with only BLD. It may not be the best LSD pack out there but it does well
Sponsored