JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That roller is for the lights in the footwells of the front seats. I bought a replacement dome light for a 19+ and swapped it in so all the lights come on when you open a door. It was ~$70, I think from myoemmoparparts.com.
Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I too have a 2018 Sport S. It's been bugging me that the map lights do not come on unless you press them on. But I drove a 2019 dealer loaner that the map lights came on automatically. I am/was thinking something is wrong with my dome lights.

So if I understand this correctly the 2018 models the map lights do not automatically come on when you open the door but in the 2019 and later models they do?

So what is the roller switch directly to the right of the headlight switch for? The icon on it looks like its for the dome lights.

I’m at the dealership now and was told that switch is specific to certain options. If your vehicle did not come with these options that the switch does not work. What options he is speaking of I’m not sure as he did not elaborate

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Russ,
As @JRod said, you need the 2019 dome light assembly. I too changed them out on both my wife's and my Jeep, they are both 2018's. An easy swap and about $70 but worth it for the extra light.

Gregj

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Russ,
As @JRod said, you need the 2019 dome light assembly. I too changed them out on both my wife's and my Jeep, they are both 2018's. An easy swap and about $70 but worth it for the extra light.

Gregj
Thanks Greg! Will the roller switch to the right of the headlight switch control those?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That second roller only controls the ambient lighting. In a Sport it only controls the light in the door handle, yes there is a light in there you have to be in a very dark place to even see them or the change. If we weren’t so cheap and bought a Sahara or Rubicon there would be lights in the footwell too which are easy to see the change in lighting.

The 2019 dome light is controlled by the roller that dim’s the instrument cluster just turn it all the way up and it will turn on the dome lights, all five of them in a 2019.

Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@NewTXJL I did take one of the old dome lights apart to see if we could change the led's and can verify that they are surface mount led's and not easily changed, at least not by me. They are mounted to the PCB that makes up the dome light. I also tried changing the color of the light with film gels which did work to some extent but the reduction in light output was significant. I had taken pictures but have since lost/deleted them.

Gregj

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@NewTXJL I did take one of the old dome lights apart to see if we could change the led's and can verify that they are surface mount led's and not easily changed, at least not by me. They are mounted to the PCB that makes up the dome light. I also tried changing the color of the light with film gels which did work to some extent but the reduction in light output was significant. I had taken pictures but have since lost/deleted them.

Gregj
Thanks for the response. Saved me the trouble of cracking it open.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

Gregj
Damn it! I bought tail light tape just for this

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
upload_2019-4-8_15-0-10.jpeg

The color difference doesn’t show up that well in the bright West Texas sun but maybe you can get an idea of the difference.

Gregj
Yes, in my 20' JLUR the center seems to be LED while the outer 4 are halogen. Wonder if the outer 4 can be swapped easily to LED?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, in my 20' JLUR the center seems to be LED while the outer 4 are halogen. Wonder if the outer 4 can be swapped easily to LED?
They are all LED's, for some reason they used a different color temperature for the outer four lights.
Gregj

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
They are all LED's, for some reason they used a different color temperature for the outer four lights.
Gregj
Can these be changed out with a different LED bulb?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can these be changed out with a different LED bulb?
Not really a bulb, they are surface mount LED’s that are soldered to the PCB. I am sure they can be de-soldered and replaced, I did look into different LED’s but there is a dizzying number of possibilities. Perhaps someone with some knowledge of them could suggest which ones to get.

Would be cool to have different color possibilities.
Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are curious this is what they look like.
Jeep Wrangler JL INTERIOR DOME LIGHT in 2018 JL Unlimited 073C0CB9-C310-4A9F-939A-8003D60183B6
Jeep Wrangler JL INTERIOR DOME LIGHT in 2018 JL Unlimited 1DC22CC7-7857-4BED-83C5-3CB37E5DBDB0

That was an experiment I did with film gel’s to change the color.
Gregj

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I know this is an old topic but I almost ordered the wrong part and thought I would update this thread since the dome light swap is not mentioned much. I ordered part number 6CD43TX7AH which now gives 5 lights but with a very close match on map lights vs the big temp difference on the 2019 version mentioned here earlier in the thread.
Sponsored