Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Well the Wrangler isn't the most premium vehicle out there and there are far, far better cameras in some others... yes, often in much more expensive vehicles. I want to get a better camera in my JL just like people do aftermarket upgrades to suspension, bumpers and everything else the Wrangler comes with but people get rid of.

Also not sure how this is relevant to the original question to be honest.
My camera in the 2018 Sahara is great, high resolution at 1080 and great wide angle, but I replaced my tire carrier and the angle is a bit different than stock. My son's high dollar GMC pick-up is no way as clear as mine. I think his is only 720.
Sponsored

jred321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have no issue with the resolution on the camera but I do wish it wasn't dirty all of the time. My last car's camera folded away when not in use so was basically always clean. The JL is basically always dirty which makes the image look like crap.

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
The original post screamed troll, to me anyway. However the OP seems to be quite serious. I do not have eyes on experience with a Jeep Wrangler backup camera but can speak of the two I have mounted to my JK. The first is mounted just above the spare tire hub and sees out between two spokes of the rim, it is viewed on a rear view mirror mounted display and is always on with the vehicle running. It is very good as a rear view mirror but not so good at backing into a spot, the view down low is lacking depth perception. It does have very good night clarity without a night vision green. The second is mounted in the rear bumper and is great for backing into spots and when hitching to a trailer, haven't used at night though. Any backup camera on any vehicle, to me, is a joy.

Ya now life on Earth has become frivolous when you are debating backup cameras on an SUV.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know the specs on the OEM camera? Resolution, view angle, etc.
Back-Up Camera is 1080, Front Camera is 720. Viewing angle is 120 or 150 degrees I think but sure as heck wide enough for me.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
"Good enough"
For you.

Back-Up Camera is 1080, Front Camera is 720. Viewing angle is 120 or 150 degrees I think but sure as heck wide enough for me.
Where did you find this info? I'd be interested in part numbers also. Maybe there is a common case size that could be easily swapped out.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
The view is wide enough that with my Tazer mod when I turn on the turn signal it shows the rear view and blind spot to left and right on my display for lane change.
Tazer will turn on the rear camera when you signal? /jealous

Does it still show the distance lines when turning? Is there an option to eliminate the "CHECK YOUR SURROUNDINGS" message when reversing? As much as I love the warm blanket of idiot messages all over the Jeep, it blocks what I'm trying to see from the backup camera to begin with.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
For you.

Where did you find this info? I'd be interested in part numbers also. Maybe there is a common case size that could be easily swapped out.
Someone already asked, but I am really interested to hear what vehicle has a better one. Go wider and the wide angle distortion will make error worse. Can't see? Upgrading the camera won't help, wire up some pod lights. Not sharp enough? The screen won't display a higher resolution any way.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For you.

I found the info on one of the threads here, just can't remember which one it was now. I was thinking about adding a front camera to my 2018 Sahara and it the discussion was about resolution difference between front and rear. I think you can also find some more info at Tazer JL Front Camera site. As for the part numbers, you would most likely have to check with a Jeep dealer.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Someone already asked, but I am really interested to hear what vehicle has a better one. Go wider and the wide angle distortion will make error worse. Can't see? Upgrading the camera won't help, wire up some pod lights. Not sharp enough? The screen won't display a higher resolution any way.
According to @harleypap57 : "Back-Up Camera is 1080, Front Camera is 720". What is the resolution of the screen?

There is always room for improvement.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Sort of related. From https://www.zautomotive.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-front-camera/
Cargo camera input is not a Hi-Definition input like the backup camera; so the video quality will not be as good! This is a high quality standard definition (480i) camera. There is no way to add a high-definition cargo camera input to the JL radio.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sheesh, I just went out to my driveway and started up and backed up just to confirm my feeling that mine was pretty damn good. Confirmed, it's clearer than I'll ever need, accurate lines and depth as well as having plenty of viewable area.
Now if I was going to travel to work in reverse for 37 miles, it would suck! Oh, I forgot, I'm retired. It will work fine

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
Just curious, have you been in a vehicle that has a better backup camera than the Jeep JL? I'm trying to understand your point-of-reference, as I think the camera is fantastic. The resolution is excellent. The dynamic steering lines, especially with the middle dashed lines, are top-notch. My 2016 F-150 was my previous reference standard. The JL is equal to that one.

I will say that the nighttime performance using only the OEM reverse lights is, like nearly all stock vehicles, terrible. But that is no fault of the camera. I wired up a Baja Designs S2 Pro light on the right side of the bumper to the Aux 3 switch (3 to see - ha ha) to throw another 2,450 lumens and help out there.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to know about this other vehicle with better camera as well. If you want to see a camera needing improvement, come see my wife’s 2019 Jaguar F-Pace Sport. Car is fast and fun, but the camera sucks!

My ‘19 Wrangler has the best backup camera I’ve ever experienced. I travel nearly weekly for work and get to experience a lot of different cars.
Sponsored