OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Stuffed (5) 37" milestar's into our minivan...weighed 2 of them at about 74 lbs/ea. Gotta love the smell of fresh rubber permeating the garage.:involve: Found a great deal on new kmc xd229 machete beadlocks 17x9 with 3.5 backspacing that I couldn't pass up. The 3.5 backspacing provides a little wider stance than I wanted with tires outside the fenders about 4"...but the deal was too good to pass up and they look good and it will be awesome to air down low without popping a bead as I did a few months ago at 12psi on a tough trail. New wheels/tires are going to weigh around 115lbs/ea.(previous 35s mounted were about 90 lbs ea) Ordered a teraflex alpha HD tire carrier to bring the spare close to the tailgate and ditch the current LOD relocation bracket. I'm looking for a less expensive mopar style hinge reinforcement(red rock or rough country are less than $80/ea) or the rugged ridge hinge upgrade system. I can't justify paying $600 for the mopar one that doesn't beef up the hinges.

gWgiz2e.jpg

V46FpGg.jpg

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
As someone who is also long in the torso at 6'2", do you have specifics on the changes you did to the seat padding? Like where it was removed, and what you replace it with? As in, just the bottom, or the side bolsters as well?

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Had the steps/sliders sandblasted and powdercoated and added some red accents
WCKQyiX.jpg
I'm curious how you went about adding the red accent behind the roam rock rails. It looks great!

EDIT: nevermind! I just realized that they come with a plate that you can simply paint.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
As someone who is also long in the torso at 6'2", do you have specifics on the changes you did to the seat padding? Like where it was removed, and what you replace it with? As in, just the bottom, or the side bolsters as well?
After about 6 months of having an inch of padding removed, I started feeling the seat support beams in the seat. I took it back to upholstery shop and had it restored to stock padding...it's back to being comfortable and I've learned to live with the stock seat height. I wouldn't recommend removing padding.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Drove 5 hrs to pickup kmc xd229 beadlocks and have 37" Milestar's mounted. It was a beast of trip...barely fit all 5 in our minivan with seats folded up. Put them on and retorqued all beadlock bolts several times to 25 ft lbs. Painted middle cap black and red. The stance is alot more aggressive and clearance increased by 1.5". Beefing up tailgate with reinforcement to support the heavier weight this week. I will have better feedback/pics coming when I get a chance...been working and juggling kids.
4Mez9op.jpg
7d3tTsI.jpg
MkdiHXo.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Drove 5 hrs to pickup kmc xd229 beadlocks and have 37" Milestar's mounted. It was a beast of trip...barely fit all 5 in our minivan with seats folded up. Put them on and retorqued all beadlock bolts several times to 25 ft lbs. Painted middle cap black and red. The stance is alot more aggressive and clearance increased by 1.5". Beefing up tailgate with reinforcement to support the heavier weight this week. I will have better feedback/pics coming when I get a chance...been working and juggling kids.
4Mez9op.jpg
7d3tTsI.jpg
MkdiHXo.jpg
Oh I do like.

Look forward to your reviews. Those wheels are heavy but they are the next level's choice wheel.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Oh I do like.

Look forward to your reviews. Those wheels are heavy but they are the next level's choice wheel.
I researched the Method 701 trail series and these kmc wheels and preferred the look/function of these while allowing true beadlock capability. The 701 weighs 30 lbs, which is heavier for a non beadlock and these weigh 42 lbs ea...pretty typical for beadlock. I found these wheels new for a killer price and it included mounting tires.(same price as 701's before paying to mount) I couldn't pass on the deal. I'm only driving jeep on wknds, so these tires should last for several years. I'll prob sell it before new tires are needed bc kid #4 is coming in May and I doubt I'll have alot of time for the jeep following that.

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I researched the Method 701 trail series and these kmc wheels and preferred the look/function of these while allowing true beadlock capability. The 701 weighs 30 lbs, which is heavier for a non beadlock and these weigh 42 lbs ea...pretty typical for beadlock. I found these wheels new for a killer price and it included mounting tires.(same price as 701's before paying to mount) I couldn't pass on the deal. I'm only driving jeep on wknds, so these tires should last for several years. I'll prob sell it before new tires are needed bc kid #4 is coming in May and I doubt I'll have alot of time for the jeep following that.
Great find! I was looking at them too and was going to have to spend quite a bit more. For my purpose though, non-beadlocks were the way to go. I like the tech Method came up with so close enough and a "bit" lighter for daily use.

Grats on #4!

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
4Mez9op.jpg
7d3tTsI.jpg
MkdiHXo.jpg
Looks good, love the stance

K007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Quick question! When you put the Rubicon D44 axles with ELockers, did you use a new wiring harness and hooked them up to AUX switches? Are you satisfied with the lockers and they work good?

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Quick question! When you put the Rubicon D44 axles with ELockers, did you use a new wiring harness and hooked them up to AUX switches? Are you satisfied with the lockers and they work good?
I used a new dana spicer wiring locker harness hooked up to the mopar aux switches. Yes, they work great.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Weighed tire/wheel combo at 120lbs. Added Teraflex alpha carrier and hinge reinforcement. The teraflex brought spare nice and tight to the tailgate and maintains the camera and brake light...everything fit good and feels secure.
YXaqrLu.jpg
Z3VApho.jpg
Liday9W.jpg