King Bump Stops for the REAR

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Anyone use King's rear bump stop kit? It seems the only website that shows it is 4WheelParts. I'm surprised not to see this on the other sites or vendors. Anyone use these yet? I saw Rebel has their mount kit, but I'm not a fan of their version. Otherwise, I haven't found any other mounts, and I've see very few people using them. Is it just because the JL is so new? Sure, I know these types of things are mostly custom, but King's kit is a pretty straight forward installation (welding required).
Sponsored

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here's a follow-up. I did find the King kit. They offer two part numbers, one for a 1-1/2" bump stop for stock applications, and one for a 2" kit.

The TIG welding on the bracket is quite impressive for such a simple part.

The instructions said to use a 2-5/16" hole saw to cut the hole in the frame using the centerpoint of a steel template that King provides. Yeah, good luck with that. Though I didn't have any of that size, nor did local home improvement stores, I had some 2-1/4" hole saws...plus bought a couple. The Bosch hole saw I started with, barely touched the high-strength steel before killing it. Did the same to another no-name hole saw. A new Snap-on hole saw fell to a similar fate by losing its teeth. A Lenox died the same death. Unfortunately, it was too late on Saturday to make it to my favorite industrial hardware store to try and get some better hole saws.

I did have several packs of Harbor Freight 1/8" drill bits. No surprised, but I killed those quickly as well. But they got the job done! I used the bits that didn't break to wobble and connect the holes. When the piece was out, I used a 2" grinding wheel on my drill to clean it up. Sorry, I didn't get more pics along the way.

I have a 3.5" EVO lift, and so I was able to remove the 3" spacer and adjust the bump stop so I had just a bit of shock shaft showing when the bump stop is bottomed out.

End result is that on my initial testing, I can slam into dips, and the rear doesn't have the hard hit that it had before (same as when I slam it running fast in the desert). Yes, I have fronts as well.

20191214_154240.jpg

20191214_154404.jpg

20191214_153033.jpg

20191215_111338.jpg

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So here's a follow-up. I did find the King kit. They offer two part numbers, one for a 1-1/2" bump stop for stock applications, and one for a 2" kit.

The TIG welding on the bracket is quite impressive for such a simple part.

The instructions said to use a 2-5/16" hole saw to cut the hole in the frame using the centerpoint of a steel template that King provides. Yeah, good luck with that. Though I didn't have any of that size, nor did local home improvement stores, I had some 2-1/4" hole saws...plus bought a couple. The Bosch hole saw I started with, barely touched the high-strength steel before killing it. Did the same to another no-name hole saw. A new Snap-on hole saw fell to a similar fate by losing its teeth. A Lenox died the same death. Unfortunately, it was too late on Saturday to make it to my favorite industrial hardware store to try and get some better hole saws.

I did have several packs of Harbor Freight 1/8" drill bits. No surprised, but I killed those quickly as well. But they got the job done! I used the bits that didn't break to wobble and connect the holes. When the piece was out, I used a 2" grinding wheel on my drill to clean it up. Sorry, I didn't get more pics along the way.

I have a 3.5" EVO lift, and so I was able to remove the 3" spacer and adjust the bump stop so I had just a bit of shock shaft showing when the bump stop is bottomed out.

End result is that on my initial testing, I can slam into dips, and the rear doesn't have the hard hit that it had before (same as when I slam it running fast in the desert). Yes, I have fronts as well.

20191214_154240.jpg

20191214_154404.jpg

20191214_153033.jpg

20191215_111338.jpg
Nice, wanting to get me those as well to match my fronts! Looks great!

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Looks like a great spot to mount them! Maybe time for a plasma cutter ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a great spot to mount them! Maybe time for a plasma cutter ;)
You had to say it...you had to... *sigh*

I've been saying I've been wanting to buy one, but I've had no particular project that I couldn't do without. I usually initially buy tools and equipment for specific jobs in mind - rarely just to have them. But so many times one would one have come in handy. This was one of those times. Every hole I drilled, I thought about how much easier it would have been with a plasma cutter.

And you had to remind me. :)

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
You had to say it...you had to... *sigh*

I've been saying I've been wanting to buy one, but I've had no particular project that I couldn't do without. I usually initially buy tools and equipment for specific jobs in mind - rarely just to have them. But so many times one would one have come in handy. This was one of those times. Every hole I drilled, I thought about how much easier it would have been with a plasma cutter.

And you had to remind me. :)
Take a look here. You know you want it. ;)

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice work, I saw you're post on FB as well. How do you like the EVO king spec shocks?
So far so good. I don't have much time on them yet. And my first weekend pounding it in the desert (with all our camping gear onboard), it did very well. I did bottom the rear pretty hard a couple times, which would have been expected for the speed and hit it took. Of course, this was why I figured I needed these bump stops (already have fronts). I did lose all pressure in the front right shock, which I noticed right after while doing some other work. It may have just been a loose schrader valve - I hope. There were no fluid leaks. I just tightened up the valve and repressurized the shocks. We'll see over the next couple weeks, as I'll be doing a long road trip with a fair bit of offroading. Unfortunately, I won't be carrying nitrogen if I do, but oh well.

Performance wise, they do pretty well on and offroad. I opted to not get the adjusters, which makes them a little more plush than with the adjusters. Really, it'll take me a while to see if the valving is what I want, and if not, I can make the changes needed when I service them next. With other brands and other applications, I've rarely found the whateverbrand-spec shock to be valved where I want it, but I'm happy so far with these

I was debating on getting the Fox 2.5 shocks, but their extended/compressed lengths are a bit wonky. I think EVO/King nailed the lengths spot on with these, working within the existing limitations of the basically stock length arms (e.g., not long arm).

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the feedback, yeah thats weird you lost all the nitro in one shock. For sure wont be carrying nitro out and about haha I got my own refill setup at home as well..

True about the valving and such, I never experimented with shim/stacks etc just rebuild them (fresh fluid, seals etc.). I was looking at getting the fox 2.5 through accutune or evo spec king just havent made up my mind, I am running the same lift as you. Might just go with king otherwise when I get the bumps the different brands/colors will be too much for my ocd. Although the long travel has caught my eye and I dont want to spend twice for $$$ shocks. Maybe just get the bump cans for now, bottoming out hard hurts the butt dyno.

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback, yeah thats weird you lost all the nitro in one shock. For sure wont be carrying nitro out and about haha I got my own refill setup at home as well..

True about the valving and such, I never experimented with shim/stacks etc just rebuild them (fresh fluid, seals etc.). I was looking at getting the fox 2.5 through accutune or evo spec king just havent made up my mind, I am running the same lift as you. Might just go with king otherwise when I get the bumps the different brands/colors will be too much for my ocd. Although the long travel has caught my eye and I dont want to spend twice for $$$ shocks. Maybe just get the bump cans for now, bottoming out hard hurts the butt dyno.
My OCD is killing me on the King colors....The front bumps were available in black, so I got them. The rears weren't....ugh...blue. I wanted black shocks, and although that may have been possible, it would have been a long wait.

And I have a Fox ATS stabilizer, but it's one for a JK that's all silver with black graphics.

If you're already doing the full service, you're only one step away from changing valve shims!

Last edited:

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My OCD is killing me on the King colors....The front bumps were available in black, so I got them. The rears weren't....ugh...blue. I wanted black shocks, and although that may have been possible, it would have been a long wait.

And I have a Fox ATS stabilizer, but it's one for a JK that's all silver with black graphics.

If you're already doing the full service, you're only one step away from changing valve shims!
Haha yeah not only the wait for King in black color but the ridiculous price they charge. I ordered the same stabilizer to go with synergy draglink and tierod plus sector shaft brace. Waiting for all to come in the mail. Getting re geared to 5.13 monday!! So excited to have some power back..

OP
OP
2Wheel-Lee

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha yeah not only the wait for King in black color but the ridiculous price they charge. I ordered the same stabilizer to go with synergy draglink and tierod plus sector shaft brace. Waiting for all to come in the mail. Getting re geared to 5.13 monday!! So excited to have some power back..
I installed SteerSmarts drag link, tie rod, and track bar, and I'll say that fitting that steering stabilizer in there was like trying to fit 10# of....um....stuff in a 5# bag. The part that protrudes above the main stabilizer was not very cooperative. It took a lot of suspension cycling and lock-to-lock steering to get everything just right.

I have a 2.0, and I regeared to 5.13s a couple weeks ago. Honestly, on the street, the difference isn't as noticeable as I thought. Though just the same, going to the 37s wasn't that noticeable, either. It is better on super steep streets. We'll find out soon how it does on trails soon. But...that I'm saying the gears didn't make a difference on the street, it's kick-a$$ fun to drive. That 2.0 rips.

This weekend, I also installed the Currie Anti Rock sway bars. First drive seemed strange, but it feels good now.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the info on the steering install setup, Ill let you know how mine goes whenever all the pieces get here.

I have the 3.6 and I definitely felt the difference since adding 37's winch etc. Especially since I live in the high desert and drive mountain road's frequently with high winds, always in 6th gear on the hwy unless there's no wind and flat road.
Sponsored