NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for including the wheel offset. It is really needed to understand what is in the pictures.
It's really kinda annoying when people DO NOT do that. There are usually at least two offsets available and guessing which one somebody went with is just a bad idea.
Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Would an increase in bump stop height fix the rub?
Probably (?) But I’d like to maintain as much flex range as possible. My likely eventual solution is high clearance inner fenders. Not sure which inner fenders provide most clearance and (critically) will clear the King reservoir shocks. Will probably due tube fenders also, right now considering genright or Fabtech.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Probably (?) But I’d like to maintain as much flex range as possible. My likely eventual solution is high clearance inner fenders. Not sure which inner fenders provide most clearance and (critically) will clear the King reservoir shocks. Will probably due tube fenders also, right now considering genright or Fabtech.
American Adventure Labs offers their inner fenders with custom cutouts for a few different shock setups. They're also a quick release design to allow easy access behind for cleaning/getting to the engine compartment.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I posted pics earlier in this thread of 37s on 2.5 Evo overland enforcer stage 4. Thought I’d add here to say that I’ve learned recently, per Evo, that moving to 3.5 inch would require: “Springs, bumpstop extensions, swaybar endlinks, brakelines, shocks”

I had very mistakenly thought it was primarily just the coils. I’m new to this, so probably a rookie assumption on my part.

For the trails near me in northern Virginia - like flagpole and peters mill - the 2.5 on 37s is plenty capable. I haven’t yet encountered a thing where I’ve felt limited bc I wasn’t flexy enough. However, I do rub at the rears very slightly. I couldn’t care less, it’s so very insignificant. But I want to try more spots like Chaos in West Virginia and Rausch creek in PA where there are more interesting obstacles. I presume that more flex would probably be advantageous in those areas.

But this Jeep spends the very large percentage of its time on road, and my thoughts of possibly needing more flex have never been proven out.

I think the 2.5 looks well balanced and proportional. More importantly, and I admit that i have no large range of experience to make objective comparisons, but it handles phenomenally on road for running 37s. I also have little kids that manage the climb with no problems.

All this to say - I think I’m happy with the 2.5 and the compromises are good for me. But go 3.5 if you wanna be as flexy as possible.

Depending on how things go, I imagine putting long arms and coil overs in several years . But I’m super happy with where I am now. Then an LS engine. My goal is to obliterate my warranty.
It's a common misconception that adding taller springs will add flex...I used to think that swapping from 2.5" springs to 3.5" would add fender space and allow more room to flex. However, I was educated that 1" taller springs by themselves will not add any flex bc flex is largely dependent on shock travel and bumpstop height. To increase flex, you need longer travel shocks increasing travel at extension and/or less bumpstops to increase uptravel. To run less bumpstops, it typically requires chopping/changing the fenders to allow room for more uptravel.

In summary, if you have a 2.5" lift and simply swap in 3.5" springs, you aren't gaining flex and are simply raising the frame 1" which adds 1" of belly/bumper clearance and can help offroad. Going 3.5" lift does have some drawbacks...it raises the center of gravity, further away from stock symmetry changing driving feel...Also requires longer travel shocks, and typically an aftermarket driveshaft and adjustable control arms, jeep will get blown around more on the hwy with more wind resistance. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
IMHO...2.5" lift with rubicon fenders looks proportionate with 37s. At 3.5" lift, 37s start to look smaller and it looks better with 38s or even 40s if you chop fenders.
Here's my 2.5" lift with 37s and adjustable arms...tempted to go 3.5" to get another inch of belly/bumper clearance, but I'll really want 38s at that point. I'll prob keep the 2.5" and chop the fenders to gain more uptravel.
0vnStcn.jpg

HTjee5v.jpg

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
IMHO...2.5" lift with rubicon fenders looks proportionate with 37s. At 3.5" lift, 37s start to look smaller and it looks better with 38s or even 40s if you chop fenders.
Here's my 2.5" lift with 37s and adjustable arms...tempted to go 3.5" to get another inch of belly/bumper clearance, but I'll really want 38s at that point. I'll prob keep the 2.5" and chop the fenders to gain more uptravel.
0vnStcn.jpg

HTjee5v.jpg
This is my plan as well. I like how the 2.5 Metalcloak lift turned out with the 37's. I, too, plan to do a fender chop. I debated on going with 3.5 simply because I have aftermarket bumpers on the front and back, tire carrier, bigger tire, and plan to get skids at some point. Just wondered if the weight would eventually become an issue. However, I'll cross that bridge if need be. In the meantime, love the choice I made.

Btw, great looking Jeep!!

IMG-4880.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
0vnStcn.jpg

HTjee5v.jpg
This is my plan as well. I like how the 2.5 Metalcloak lift turned out with the 37's. I, too, plan to do a fender chop. I debated on going with 3.5 simply because I have aftermarket bumpers on the front and back, tire carrier, bigger tire, and plan to get skids at some point. Just wondered if the weight would eventually become an issue. However, I'll cross that bridge if need be. In the meantime, love the choice I made.

Btw, great looking Jeep!!

IMG-4880.jpg
I agree with you guys, the 2.5 and 37s look proportional. I feel with my 3.5 and 37s, I have a little to much fender space. I want to chop my fenders not for clearance, I just like the look of aal running lights. I will definitely have to go to 2.5” springs if I did though. But for now, I’ll trade ugly for my articulation, I have no rubbing at all even coming down from being airborne, lol.

47C80BEB-E16B-4F8A-B7C8-97D8997460B3.jpeg
35129C02-CAD4-4B88-9F4E-68AAA037614E.jpeg
18943ABD-8897-4E02-8F07-36972D27F719.jpeg

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I agree with you guys, the 2.5 and 37s look proportional. I feel with my 3.5 and 37s, I have a little to much fender space. I want to chop my fenders not for clearance, I just like the look of aal running lights. I will definitely have to go to 2.5” springs if I did though. But for now, I’ll trade ugly for my articulation, I have no rubbing at all even coming down from being airborne, lol.

Just go to 38's and keep the 3.5" springs. Problem solved. ;):rock: Looks great though!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Your jeep looks good with 37s...but 38s would look perfect.;)
In terms of articulation, it's a common misconception that a taller lift provides more flex. With your current 3.5" setup, if you simply dropped to 2.5" springs, your frame/bumpers/belly would obviously lower an inch, but the suspension would have the same amount of travel as it does now. To add suspension travel, you would need to to either increase uptravel by chopping your fenders to run fewer bumpstops or get longer shocks to allow more droop.(as long as springs/brake lines/driveshaft...etc. allows) Hope that makes sense..

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Your jeep looks good with 37s...but 38s would look perfect.;)
In terms of articulation, it's a common misconception that a taller lift provides more flex. With your current 3.5" setup, if you simply dropped to 2.5" springs, your frame/bumpers/belly would obviously lower an inch, but the suspension would have the same amount of travel as it does now. To add suspension travel, you would need to to either increase uptravel by chopping your fenders to run fewer bumpstops or get longer shocks to allow more droop.(as long as springs/brake lines/driveshaft...etc. allows) Hope that makes sense..
Thanks.... I am aware how the suspension works, lol, if I went to 2.5” springs and kept my 3.5” shocks this would be the case, however if I got the shorter shocks that go with the 2.5 “ springs it would limit the travel. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet though, that’s the beauty of Jeeps though, endless possibilities, lol.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thanks.... I am aware how the suspension works, lol, if I went to 2.5” springs and kept my 3.5” shocks this would be the case, however if I got the shorter shocks that go with the 2.5 “ springs it would limit the travel. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet though, that’s the beauty of Jeeps though, endless possibilities, lol.
The RK 2.5 and 3.5 use the same shocks...atleast that's the case with my RK 2.5. The same goes for Metalcloak's Rocksport shocks for 2.5 & 3.5 lifts.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The RK 2.5 and 3.5 use the same shocks...the same goes for Metalcloak's 2.5 & 3.5.
Not any more for rk, I asked when I started thinking about doing this unfortunately. They said I’d probably be ok in the rear but might want to run limiting straps in the front if I used 3.5 shocks with 2.5 springs. I think for some reason it’s the same shock for both heights on the 2 door, at least the last time I checked.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Not any more for rk, I asked when I started thinking about doing this unfortunately.
Interesting...must have changed since I bought. Considering you already have the longer shocks, did RK say you would lose articulation going to 2.5" springs?
Sponsored