Towing Jeep Light Set UP

k1hog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
As I am going to transition from a bumper pull camper to a class B, I will be setting up the Jeep for flat towing. I was talking to a friend that has towed his Jeep for many miles, I asked how his jeep was set up. He said that he took his Jeep to the RV dealership and they installed the Blue OX base plate and the tow bar.

To the point of the thread: my friend said the RV dealer installed the light set up by removing the tail lights, added a 1157 bulb and socket to each tail light, and ran the 4 wires to the front of the Jeep. He said the Jeep is setup like a boat trailer, the tail lights are totally independent to the Jeep wiring.

Thoughts on this set up?

Thanks
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
That's exactly what I did on our two JKs. I have no idea if there's room for an additional socket and bulb inside the JL taillight housing. I also used the Blue Ox baseplate on the JKs.

For the JL I've gone in a different direction. I've already installed the Maximus 3 tow loops, a much cleaner look than the Blue Ox and relatively easy to do. I have the Cooltech harness for the lighting but haven't gotten it installed yet.

There are a couple lengthy threads here on setting up for flat towing. Search them out, you'll get a number of tips.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Mopar has a kit to install when flat towing and it’s pretty slick. @Hibypass has this installed on his JLUR

Brett

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If I recall, it's almost three times the cost of the Cooltech kit.
No idea of the cost but looked factory and he said wasn’t terrible to install.

Brett

Sponsored

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
I also use the Blue Ox tow plates. I choose not to alter my taillights or wiring. I bought magnetic based lights that stick to the body below the taillights when I tow. I ran the wire front to rear along the frame rail along with wiring that is already there. I use a normal flat trailer plug to attach my tow lights to the wiring that goes to the front of the Jeep when in use.

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Like Bret said, the install wasn’t that bad at all. Take your time and pay close attention to the instructions, (they’re pictorial in nature) and its a nice kit. Very happy Mopar decided to offer their own kit instead of after-market make shift. Best option in my opinion. This is second Jeep I’ve towed around the country and I’m much happier with the factory wiring setup. If anyone is close by, I’d be happy to help with an install...

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I have the Mopar light harness. It works great. No room in the LED tail lights for the extra bulb assembly. That is what I did to my last Jeep I flat towed. I have also used magnetic lights on 2 other vehicles(non jeep) that i have flat towed. I have well over 100k miles flat towing vehicles behind RV's. For me the mopar harness works well because they installed it and it is under warranty.
And I'm lazy!!
Sponsored