Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
In 1990 I was offered a job at scenic design and fabrication shop in Pittsburgh. I was just starting out in my career and had moved back to my hometown, which was over an hour's drive north. I used to bus back and forth which wasn't very efficient. My boss matter the offer of the promotion and full time only if I got myself transportation as he felt he needed me to be more available. He also wanted me to buy a truck so I could use it for him. While I agreed that I needed my own wheels, I didn't feel I needed to offer him a free work truck. Since I was REALLY into camping and running around whenever I had the ability to, and I grew up listening to my grandpa talk about his WW2 Jeep, I got a brand new YJ. I had it for 15 years when it finally feel apart from so much abuse. I can't recall the mileage, but I do recall people being shocked that I put around 37k miles on it just in the first year.

That was followed by 2004 TJ. I drove that for 13 or so until it too wore out. I don't know why but I just didn't like the JKs. I was looking for a replacement for my old TJ, going a while without any wheels because I just couldn't find any particular vehicle to take it's place. Then one night last November I happened to go to the Jeep website, just to look for fun. There I found out there was a NEW MODEL!!

I had my new Jeep by Christmas! This is t he first one that I'm really getting into as far as modding and taking care of. I'll most likely drive it until I'm gone. You never know though.

Papa-Jeep.jpg

1991_PA_007 (1)-4917x3006.jpg

RL2_8656_2014-08-16-4320x2880.jpg
Sponsored

NukaCola

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Turbocharged 2.0
Occupation
Mechanic Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
This is my third jeep (4th if you count my husbands current) and I just love everything about them.
I have driven SEVERAL other vehicles and none have compared to a Jeep.

Matx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU
A friend took me out shooting guns around a large property, while driving the jeep, then had a nice wheeling trip at Hidden Fall park out side of austin.
Yeah traded in my fast car obsession for a jeep. Turns out I was not ready for the community support, and how bonded everything is. So many willing to help for nothing in return. I do towing so I help when I can. I usually dont have cars this long. Have a 14 jku, have a 3.0 jlu on order. Would hate to loose a group that people misunderstand . The AUSTIN JEEP PEOPLE in Austin TX. I've seen local shops go out of their way to get people back on the road with free parts or really good parts on their budget. The jeep family is somthing I'm proud to back.
I Was up in Maryland last year and seen the dedication of jeepers getting emergency personnel to work. Good job.

So when I get asked why I'm buying a jeep I just tell them its a Jeep Thing

20170326_095252.jpg

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Our first Jeeps were for a combination of fun and practicality, living where winter had a real bite. Our 1st was a '76 CJ7 V8 with quadratrac. For you younguns, quadratrac was a fulltime system with essentially a third differential in the transfer case. It worked very well. That Jeep was our daily transportation. It was replaced by a new Scout. At this time we were very active in a local 4X4 club and I ended up buying a '60 CJ5 that had belonged to the city where I went to high school just for fun. Not long later it threw a rod (but still got me back to camp on 3 cylinders) and I bought a '67 Buick convertible only to rob it of it's V6. Our first outing post swap was to the sand dunes on Michigan's western shore. Eventually that Jeep ended up getting traded for some upgrades on the Scout. A bit later we bought a very nice '67 CJ5 out of Colorado. It came with that same Buick V6 except this time it was a factory installation, Jeep bought the rights, tooling and even the assembly line from Buick (Buick later bought it back in response to the energy crisis). That one was used as a second car as well as for fun weekends but it too was eventually sold to make room for other "toys". In the early '80s, however, I bought a '46 CJ 2A, strictly for fun. It wasn't in the shed more than ten minutes before a buddy and I had it stripped down to the frame rails. I did a total resto mod on that one (see my avitar). It too ended up with a rebuilt Buick V6, seats from a Honda Civic, a steering column and wheel from a Pontiac and a steering box out of a Chevy Vega. It came together great. Only thing I didn't do was the engine rebuild or the paint. I simply told the painter to use "the brightest red known to man". Sadly this Jeep got sold to finance my newest hobby & passion, flying.

Skip ahead 25 years, we decided to move from a towable RV to a motorhome. There's nothing better as a toad that a Jeep. Easy to set up, rugged and it offers so many more adventure opportunities at our travel destinations, not to mention the raw personality just dripping off it's slab sides and high fenders. We bought a 2007 JKUR for toad/exploration duty. It servered those purposes as well as being my work commuter for 5 years, 80k miles (not counting another 20+ as a toad) before I was rear ended while at a stoplight. It was immediately replaced by a 2012 Sahara. The Jeep was by then our only vehicle, we'd both just retired, and I couldn't find a new Rubicon to save my life. We were due to hit the road within days for our first post retirement extended RV trip, had already sold the house, we needed wheels now. Our first stop heading west was in Rapid City where I found a Jeep builder to install new gearing and while he was at it, lockers. That Jeep served us well for the next five years.

Post retirement we started wintering south of Orlando. We'd never lived anywhere with constant very heavy traffic before. After a few years of "rowing" our 6 speed manual everywhere we went we ended up replacing it with a GMC Acadia. A very nice vehicle, my wife loved all the tech features, and it fit right in with all the other geezer mobiles one our central Florida highways. It was even Florida geezer white in color. It just didn't have the personality or capability we were used to. With the upgrades made in the JL over the JK my wife could get excited about the possibility of getting another Wrangler, thus our current 2020 JLUR. Why, personality, fun, easy to set up as a toad and rugged. Now if it only didn't steer like the the linkage was made out of rubber bands...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
A friend took me out shooting guns around a large property, while driving the jeep, then had a nice wheeling trip at Hidden Fall park out side of austin.
Yeah traded in my fast car obsession for a jeep. Turns out I was not ready for the community support, and how bonded everything is. So many willing to help for nothing in return. I do towing so I help when I can. I usually dont have cars this long. Have a 14 jku, have a 3.0 jlu on order. Would hate to loose a group that people misunderstand . The AUSTIN JEEP PEOPLE in Austin TX. I've seen local shops go out of their way to get people back on the road with free parts or really good parts on their budget. The jeep family is somthing I'm proud to back.
I Was up in Maryland last year and seen the dedication of jeepers getting emergency personnel to work. Good job.

So when I get asked why I'm buying a jeep I just tell them its a Jeep Thing

20170326_095252.jpg
I tell people all the time that getting a jeep is like getting 500 new friends.

Sponsored

Riversslivers

First Name
Rivers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr rubicon, Pontiac firebird
Occupation
Lineman/handyman
I spend over an hour in my jeep per day. Thats 365+ hours a year that I need to be in my vehicle. Im going to enjoy those hours if possible. I also drive in the worst weather and road conditions for work so AWD is a MINIMUM requirement. Thirdly, and the reason to make the switch, having a vehicle my partner cant drive is a PITA so it needs to be auto and small. So the criteria is a fun, weather capable, automatic, small, and .....oh yeah fun.
The pop top was a definite plus in the fun category, so the only vehicles I could think of that fit the bill were wranglers, broncos/blazers, and first gen 4runners. Wranglers were the only ones relatively new so I jumped. So far, very happy with my decision. :jk:

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Because my wife said I could! :like:

Third one in about a year. Sold 2001 TJ for 2018 JK Willys 2 door. Traded that for 2020 JLU Rubicon.

Jeeps and Jeepers are cool! Go about anywhere in stock form and plenty of mod options.

We love the improvements and changes on the JLU’s. Look forward to driving it daily and hitting the trails!

Ryder

First Name
Dian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited Sahara 2019
I have an emotional attachment to the Jeep that I haven't had with any other car except the grey VW bug I had in the 60s.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Greetings again...I could not find this question in the forum but am sure it’s out there. Why did you guys buy a Jeep? Value? Probably not. Comfort? Probably not. Cool factor? Off road capability? For me, I love the way I feel when driving it. I know there’s a zillion out there now but mine feels unique to me. Wondering what the rest of you think?
For me it was about having the ability to drive something fun with my young kids, take the roof off and go explore the outdoors and places that may be otherwise hard to reach

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I am after psychotherapy and the Jeep felt right away to be the right and only choice for me

Sponsored

bradsr1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU
Because I LOVED that Super Bowl commercial lol.... in reality this is #7 for me, I’m an outdoorsman. Here’s my last TJ, JK and JL

84E07562-31B7-4CB5-90FA-69E05C0A4189.jpeg

FEFF6F97-525F-4CFF-A89B-1D6DB8C07890.jpeg

1BF43A31-A1A2-4BA7-9668-C7FBC96F996E.jpeg

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
While on vacation in Colorado sIx years ago my then future son and law along with his father drove me to the base of mosquito pass, put me in the drivers seat of a jku Rubicon, put it in low 4wd, released the sway bars, and told me to drive over a boulder field...which I did, much to my amazement. I’ve was hooked....

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I always liked jeeps but But never owned one...i finally got the jeep and i love the way she drives. ..i have so much fun with her.... a bonus that i found since i bought the jeep is i get a nostalgic feeling, it brings me back to when i was younger and had a '65 VW bug! The flat, small windshield, the small wipers, the way it reacts on the road and drives... but with more reliability... so far! I love it!

20191029_091942.jpg
Funny, I feel the same way! My last of 5 Bugs was a ‘59 ragtop. I loved just driving it, especially with the top open. Definitely took the long way and enjoyed it, even in the AZ summer. The Jeep provides a similar, fun, simple experience, but in a far more modern and comfortable package. I love how there’s sheet metal even on the inside! It’s like a new old car.

The 4wd stuff tends to be a bonus, but is actually what brought me to Jeep. I have a GC that I wanted to beef up a little, but I kept seeing modded Wranglers and wanted more. When it came time for my wife to get a new car, we ended up in a Rubicon. We test drove a Sahara with the 2.0 and really liked it, but it was orange. I really liked it because it matches my ‘81 Mini, but there was an orange JK on our street, and she didn’t want to “copy” them. Found a white Rubicon in Anchorage, flew down and drove back to Fairbanks. Turns out she didn’t feel comfortable shifting into/out of 4wd in the winter, so I’ve been driving it for 1.5 years and counting. Absolutely the perfect vehicle for me.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Of all the trucks, SUV's and 4x4's out there, there is only one Jeep-a truly unique vehicle unlike any other! I am a truck guy and have a Ram Longhorn 4x4 (a luxury rig as trucks go) I use as a daily driver to visit clients and pick up clients / guests when needed from the airport...But I wanted something fun and something that would force me to occasionally take some much needed time off work and 'get off the grid' so to speak. Years ago when I worked for someone else and actually had vacation time, weekends & holidays off (haven't taken a vacation since I started my company) ...I enjoyed four wheeling, camping and just exploring Arizona history off the beaten path-this is why I bought a JLR and for me, it is the ultimate recreational vehicle!

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted a Jeep for a long long time. My wife kept saying no.............. Now I have a Jeep!!:)
Sponsored