Sponsored

Bumper and Tire Carrier Decisions

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I am trying to decide on a bumper and tire carrier. I was originally only going to upgrade the tire carrier to hold the 37s I have on order but after doing some research I am leaning towards a bumper and tire carrier combo.

I really like the LOD destroyer but the price seems a bit high considering you have to pay extra for everything including the camera, brake light, and license plate relocation pieces. The lead time is also killer.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives that they have found to be quality. Hoping for one step opening, sturdy, and no rattle.

The rock hard combo seems nice but I cannot get myself to like the design and it's two step to open.

Anyone have feedback on other options that might fit the bill? Poison Spyder and JCR have been suggested but I cannot find much user feedback.
Sponsored

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Well, I had some of that dilemma too.....and I chose to go with HR 4x4 for the Patriot Mid width front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier and the Patriot Sliders / step. Pretty happy with the results.....tho installing that rear bumper was a bit of a challenge. I feel good about the quality surrounding my Rubi now. Likely the best quality and strength to be had.....IMO.

side view.jpg

front bumper b.jpg

rear bumper.jpg

sliders.jpg

rear bumper b.jpg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I run an ACE Engineering bumper with a stand alone tire carrier. I have been very happy with the combo.

One of my long term friends just had the Roam rear bumper and tire carrier and another has the JCR rear bumper/tire carrier. These have not been installed yet as one friend iis in Thialand for the winter and the other is waiting for some other stuff to come in so he can send them off to get LineX.

I will end up installing them so I can report back when I am done.

In the end of the day, I do like Roam stuff..

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Well, I had some of that dilemma too.....and I chose to go with HR 4x4 for the Patriot Mid width front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier and the Patriot Sliders / step. Pretty happy with the results.....tho installing that rear bumper was a bit of a challenge. I feel good about the quality surrounding my Rubi now. Likely the best quality and strength to be had.....IMO.

side view.jpg

front bumper b.jpg

rear bumper.jpg

sliders.jpg

rear bumper b.jpg
I like the price point of the Rock Hard rear bumper and tire carrier considering that it comes with many of the options you have to pay extra for with the LOD but I just am not a fan of the styling. It is a bit boxy looking for me. I like the license plate placement better on RH and the fact that the hitch and wiring is moved out of the way of rocks. If they just had a few more lines and it was one step opening I would be sold. Hoping there is a third option with similar quality I have not seen yet.

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I like the price point of the Rock Hard rear bumper and tire carrier considering that it comes with many of the options you have to pay extra for with the LOD but I just am not a fan of the styling. It is a bit boxy looking for me. I like the license plate placement better on RH and the fact that the hitch and wiring is moved out of the way of rocks. If they just had a few more lines and it was one step opening I would be sold. Hoping there is a third option with similar quality I have not seen yet.
Have you checked out the Westin WJ2 tire carrier system? I don't have it yet, but it's on my wish list for future mods: https://www.quadratec.com/p/westin/wj2-rear-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked at a lot of rear bumpers and tire carriers and I keep coming back to the LOD. I just like the look and accessories options that are available.

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
saved these pics from Roam facebook page, really like the slimline design!

roamrearbumper3.jpg

Roamrearbuper1.jpg

roamrearbumper2.jpg

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I run an ACE Engineering bumper with a stand alone tire carrier. I have been very happy with the combo.

One of my long term friends just had the Roam rear bumper and tire carrier and another has the JCR rear bumper/tire carrier. These have not been installed yet as one friend iis in Thialand for the winter and the other is waiting for some other stuff to come in so he can send them off to get LineX.

I will end up installing them so I can report back when I am done.

In the end of the day, I do like Roam stuff..
I read your posts of the Ace setup previously and checked it out. It seems like it could fit the bill but after reading other comments on the Ace bumper and tire carriers in general, I was a little worried about rattles and quality of the coating they use.

The Roam one looks promising. I am not a huge fan of the 3 hitches, but the rest looks good to me. My main hang up with Roam are the general gripes about their customer service. I sent them an myself email over a week ago and still waiting for a response.

I have not found much on the JCR but would love to hear a review of installation and use.

EDIT: Roam reached out to me about my email. They had responded (same day) but it ended up in my spam folder. Anyways, I thought it was great that they took the time to care and follow up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I looked at this briefly yesterday. Do you know anyone who has installed or have you read any reviews of people who have?
A few months back, my wife and I went to Rubitrux in Boone, NC. They had a bunch of Westin products on their vehicles for sale and they looked awesome. I do not have personal experience with them outside of that. They look solid though.

Sponsored

AstroDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davescosmos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Ace Bumper and Tire Carrier on Black Friday as the deal was pretty awesome. I haven't received it yet and hope the rattle issues you describe are not typical. I should have it in early January and will post my experience.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m looking at LOD. But, OP, to your point...... with all the added options that bumper, carrier, rack, etc, etc...... is something like $2700.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I’m looking at LOD. But, OP, to your point...... with all the added options that bumper, carrier, rack, etc, etc...... is something like $2700.
Quality and engineering don’t come cheap. My LOD front bumper is arriving next week. Ordered Thanksgiving weekend. Not bad for a company just getting back after a fire at the factory. Very few products that I have bought have exceeded expectations like the LOD products.

084C426B-A84B-4A4E-AE40-3D37BABB6113.jpeg

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I've looked at a lot of rear bumpers and tire carriers and I keep coming back to the LOD. I just like the look and accessories options that are available.
I am the same. I have not found anyone mention any negatives but wanted to do as much research as possible. I would be severely disappointed to pay more than any other bumper combo and there is something just as good out there for less.

Yeah, if I go with LOD I would probably only do the bumper, Tire Carrier, brake light, and license plate mount for now. Maybe the antenna mount. It comes in under 1800 at least.

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Quality and engineering don’t come cheap. My LOD front bumper is arriving next week. Ordered Thanksgiving weekend. Not bad for a company just getting back after a fire at the factory. Very few products that I have bought have exceeded expectations like the LOD products.

084C426B-A84B-4A4E-AE40-3D37BABB6113.jpeg
That seems pretty fast. I order rock rails from them around the same time but no status yet.

Have you ordered everything coated or are you ordering it bare and having it done when you receive it? If ordering it coated, any issues after shipping. Are you ordering directly from LOD?
Sponsored