TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Interesting... are you on 35s?
No, 33s; but 1” more ground clearance from 35s just isn’t enough. I’m taking the advice of a friend that went through the same transition with her 4 door JK, just 35s isn’t enough, she needed a small lift too. Her lifted, 35” tired JK had no problems on the same trails.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - exactly!!! Back when I was driving Xterras (no stranger to off roading) 33's were the holy grail.
Hello fellow former Xterra owner. Mine 2001 wore 33x9.50x15 KMs.

FB_IMG_1575735961731.jpg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Following. I think the goal is interesting.

While I’m new, I just don’t see my wife and I doing some of the extreme rock crawling that it seems that 37’s+ become an asset with.

I like how my Sahara drives and I’d consider myself more of an overland type that may encounter some smaller rocks where articulating may be required if I can’t go around. It’s more about seeing sights with some dirt roads, gravel, moderate trails with stock capable water crossings thrown in. Range is important. If I can go around to save wear and tire and not risk breakage, I’ll do that. I’d like to balance stock part availability and accessibility with only required mods to address minor shortcomings.

I’m thinking of 275/70/18’s on my stock wheels, Rubicon springs/shocks, track bars, diff skids, winch & recovery gear...

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Drive slowly and carefully, momentum only when necessary, and you can drag yourself up and through trails you wouldn't dream possible. 37s fit perfect with no lift. With sway bar disconnected they rub a little on inner fenders, but that's of no consequence. The factory skids are quite effective.

Weight is the enemy of performance. Many people shoot themselves in the foot in the name of "protecting" their rig

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Drive slowly and carefully, momentum only when necessary, and you can drag yourself up and through trails you wouldn't dream possible. 37s fit perfect with no lift. With sway bar disconnected they rub a little on inner fenders, but that's of no consequence. The factory skids are quite effective.

Weight is the enemy of performance. Many people shoot themselves in the foot in the name of "protecting" their rig
That all makes sense and I agree. Do you think that diff skids are too much? And if you don’t disconnect the sway bars, will that tend to keep from tearing up your fenders? Thanks

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That all makes sense and I agree. Do you think that diff skids are too much? And if you don’t disconnect the sway bars, will that tend to keep from tearing up your fenders? Thanks
Pay no mind to the inner fenders. Doesn't matter how worn they get. If your easy on the skinny pedal your diffs should be fine.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with the "learn to wheel low" philosophy. Started out on a 2inch spacer lift with 30 inch bfg ko's on an XJ. Drove it all over uwharrie. Had to pick my line carefully, but really learned how to wheel. Winched out a Grand Cherokee on 33's on the Daniel Boone that had nearly flipped being stupid.

But man do I like my icon 2 inch with 37's :muscle:

Last edited:

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Why did you decide to replace the third brake light and not just adjust the factory mount?

i was in a similar boat wanting to stay stock with the suspension and only upgrade tires to 35”. I got 35” tires and quickly realized for the trails I am hitting and planning on hitting, I needed additional ground clearance and having additional travel would be awesome. 2.5” Metalcloak game changer is getting installed Monday.

E7CF7C2A-AC2E-4B2F-80BF-99B889EF0725.jpeg

56C0CAAF-9B61-46A8-94FF-F0E1733B5AE7.jpeg

460E06A2-3455-4647-B763-4C76479B38C4.jpeg

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
still running no lift on mine, the 37s work great. the skids do have some drawbacks, heavy and decrease some clearance in areas, but the stability on and off road is un-paralleled with any lifted jeep ive wheeled.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'd like to see where you go with your build. :like:

I got the JL to replace my 4.5" lifted LJ on 35's. I think most of the down side was going to the heavier tires. I've resisted bigger tires so far, but added a winch and better recovery gear. Soft top on order. Will see where it goes.
Welp... I failed to hold off the bug and I'm back on almost 35's (315/70r17) and 2.5" lift. Unlike the LJ, the JL seems to drive just fine on them. The MetalCloak lift drives like stock and I love it. Not moving to 37's... Nope. Not going to do it.

:facepalm:

026bc3f7-1d5e-4458-8982-1c98ee835713-jpeg.jpg

I do like not scraping as much on the trail and hitting bigger bumps without getting into the bump stops. So there's that. :bandit:

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When I first got my JLR 3/19 I was impressed by it's ability off road. After many trails in the Sierra’s and The Rockie's I realized my focus was so intense on a line I was missing the beauty of the trails. I decided to lift and install 37’s for line options. Since, trails like the Rubicon still require attention but are way more enjoyable, lesser trails are a cruise in the park.
Rubicon ledge 1.jpg

rubicon ledge 2.jpg

rubicon ledge 3.jpg

Slickrock road.jpg

Last edited:

SGME9

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020
I have decided to not lift mine, may change to 35” tires. I like the stance as it is. I am also on of those people who doesn’t care what people think about my ride. I make the payments they don’t.

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@rocketship41 any updates on your setup now that you've had it a while? Had a chance to go off road? I was thinking about doing the same combo.
Sponsored