Sponsored

Jeep with Manual Shift and ESS

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So I still am unable to get a definitive answer to my question.
Is ESS work with a manual shift?
The button on the dash is able to shut it off but I can't get the ESS to work
Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
So I still am unable to get a definitive answer to my question.
Is ESS work with a manual shift?
The button on the dash is able to shut it off but I can't get the ESS to work
if you come to a stop, put in neutral and take foot off clutch, ess will engage, if you don't have the button shut off of course. Then as soon as you depress the clutch to put it into gear, it'll restart. Works ok, I shut mine off most of the time, turn it on if if looks like its going to be a long light...

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So you are saying that the ESS does work on your manual.
Hmmm, mine doesn't
And when I asked the Jeep service guy her said it's not available on a manual

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So you are saying that the ESS does work on your manual.
Hmmm, mine doesn't
And when I asked the Jeep service guy her said it's not available on a manual
There wouldn't be an ESS button on your dash if it didn't have the system, sounds like the service guy needs to learn a few things.

There is menu option on your dash display that will show your ESS status. It will tell you if Start/Stop is ready or state the reason it is not ready. If it is constantly in battery protection mode, and never comes out of it I would have your batteries checked.

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Interesting! I think you found the issue. I also found here on the blog that there is a separate battery that controls the ESS and it possibly needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the good info!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting! I think you found the issue. I also found here on the blog that there is a separate battery that controls the ESS and it possibly needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the good info!
It might be the case. I would give it a good long drive and see what it says.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Another manual owner here. Also keep in mind that there are other situations that ESS does not engage, even with foot off clutch in neutral, so its not a given that it will engage every time you might expect it to. It all depends on the current load on the battery, like when A/C or heat on full blast, or if the vehicle just started and still warming up.

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Another manual owner here. Also keep in mind that there are other situations that ESS does not engage, even with foot off clutch in neutral, so its not a given that it will engage every time you might expect it to. It all depends on the current load on the battery, like when A/C or heat on full blast, or if the vehicle just started and still warming up.
Thanks Dave you hit it!
I just went our and started the Jeep and went through the options and it said START/STOP not active because car to cold. So you were right and the dealer is wrong. There is ESS on a manual but it doesn't aways mean it will work

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Thanks Dave you hit it!
I just went our and started the Jeep and went through the options and it said START/STOP not active because car to cold. So you were right and the dealer is wrong. There is ESS on a manual but it doesn't aways mean it will work
Kind of wish mine didn't work. It can be annoying. I'm used to it for the most part, but then it will turn off at a long stoplight when it's 0 degrees here. So then I hit the button to turn the ESS off. I'm thinking about disabling it.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I'll say that I like the implementation on the manual better than the automatic loaner I had the other day while mine was in for the stabilizer recall. I like that on my manual I can control it by just leaving the clutch pedal in when I know I'm at a quick light or short stop situation, vs. it kicking in all the time at nearly every stop on the automatic.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll say that I like the implementation on the manual better than the automatic loaner I had the other day while mine was in for the stabilizer recall. I like that on my manual I can control it by just leaving the clutch pedal in when I know I'm at a quick light or short stop situation, vs. it kicking in all the time at nearly every stop on the automatic.
Those of us with autos manage it with pressure on the brake pedal when we know its too short of a stop to do an autostop. Pretty easy once you get it figured out.
Sponsored