Sponsored

OEM Steel Bumper vs. ARB Classic (and AEV)

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Hello all,

I purchased my Rubi with the factory steel bumpers. Thought I would be content but one of those modification bugs has been flying around and pestering me. I would eventually like to add a winch (thinking Warn EVO 10) and two round lights on a grill guard.

Safety is my #1 concern. My commute consists mostly of busy highway miles. Are ARB bumpers crash-tested? I’ve only found older videos in my research. I’m looking specifically at the ARB Classic Deluxe Front Bumper (https://arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/bumpers-protection-equipment/arb-classic-deluxe-bumper/). How do their recovery points compare with the OEM steel? Should I be concerned with the grill guard and lights blocking air flow into the grill? How do these aftermarket bumpers hold up to the elements (snow, salt, sun) years down the road?

Also potentially considering AEV. How do ARB and AEV compare in terms of fit and finish, quality, and craftsmanship? Especially compared with OEM?

Hope that’s not an overload of questions. If you haven’t figured it out, I’m new to the Jeep (and mod) world. Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing your feedback!
Sponsored

Last edited:

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
great questions - curious to see others input. especially on some of the lower priced bumpers - they simply don't seem all that robust. Granted I'm just looking at pictures online.

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
AEV, ARB, and TJM are the only after-market bumpers I know of that are crash tested.
I hadn’t heard of TJM, thank you for suggesting another company to check out.

Has anyone found specific crash-test information on these bumpers?

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
I’ll buy the stock steel bumpers off of you if you’re upgrading!

Sponsored

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I’ll buy the stock steel bumpers off of you if you’re upgrading!
I appreciate the offer but if I eventually decide to upgrade, I will most likely hold onto my stock bumper. Good luck with your search!

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
@xeon You mentioned in the "Aluminum Bumper Safety" thread that changing your front bumper will change the crash characteristics of a vehicle. Makes sense as Jeep engineers are not involved. ARB claims an "airbag compatible mounting system" and I know they have performed crash tests in the past/on other vehicles but I cannot find any specific information on the JL. I've tried contacting ARB but as of yet, have not heard back. If you don't mind my asking, what is your take on it as a former airbag test engineer?

Link to product release: https://arbusa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/Jeep_JL_Wrangler_Deluxe_Bar_RETAIL.pdf

Last edited:

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The ARB is a good looking bumper and checks all the right boxes for me. However, at 195lbs (packaged) that is heavy plus the 80+ pounds of the winch. That is what is pushing me towards the aluminum bumpers.

Waiting to see what the AEV offers.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Hello all,

I purchased my Rubi with the factory steel bumpers. Thought I would be content but one of those modification bugs has been flying around and pestering me. I would eventually like to add a winch (thinking Warn EVO 10) and two round lights on a grill guard.

Safety is my #1 concern. My commute consists mostly of busy highway miles. Are ARB bumpers crash-tested? I’ve only found older videos in my research. I’m looking specifically at the ARB Classic Deluxe Front Bumper (https://arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/bumpers-protection-equipment/arb-classic-deluxe-bumper/). How do their recovery points compare with the OEM steel? Should I be concerned with the grill guard and lights blocking air flow into the grill? How do these aftermarket bumpers hold up to the elements (snow, salt, sun) years down the road?

Also potentially considering AEV. How do ARB and AEV compare in terms of fit and finish, quality, and craftsmanship? Especially compared with OEM?

Hope that’s not an overload of questions. If you haven’t figured it out, I’m new to the Jeep (and mod) world. Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing your feedback!
I sent AEV an inquiry and they responded by saying to look for their new JL front winch bumper in March, ARB does look good as well. I too have been searching for a top quality American made winch bumper and there is another on my shortlist you might want to check out-Warn's Elite full width JL bumper. It is corrosion resistance tested to 408 hours of salt spray, fit and finish seem good and weight is right about 100 pounds.

I probably would have just ordered the factory steel bumper package and been done with it had the JL's rear steel bumper been a bit more robust...I also looked at several aluminum bumpers and while I found some that seem to be good quality, I did not care for the design. One I wanted to like could be ordered with a 1/4 inch thick option but I thought it hung down a bit low due to the skid plate being an integral part of the bumper design therefore requiring a complete bumper replacement/repair when (not if) damaged...

I still have a couple weeks to wait for my JLR to arrive but in the meantime I wish you luck with all your mods and upgrades!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Since my last post, I have had contact with ARB. They say their classic bumper is designed to absorb impact to lessen the energy in the cab of the vehicle. To hold up to the elements, their Jeep bumpers are treated and coated with a commercial textured powder coat finish from Australia. To answer my concern with cooling (related to adding a winch and lights to the bumper guard), there should be no problems with airflow as they test multiple engines for cooling efficiency. For their newer applications, they do virtual crash testing and design the product around the factory crush zones that absorb impact before the air bags deploy.

I'm happy with the response I received and will continue doing my own research on the subject.

The ARB is a good looking bumper and checks all the right boxes for me. However, at 195lbs (packaged) that is heavy plus the 80+ pounds of the winch. That is what is pushing me towards the aluminum bumpers.

Waiting to see what the AEV offers.
Some great discussion in both threads, thank you for sharing. I hadn't even considered the weight aspect. Wondering how fuel economy is affected by just adding a winch.

I sent AEV an inquiry and they responded by saying to look for their new JL front winch bumper in March, ARB does look good as well. I too have been searching for a top quality American made winch bumper and there is another on my shortlist you might want to check out-Warn's Elite full width JL bumper. It is corrosion resistance tested to 408 hours of salt spray, fit and finish seem good and weight is right about 100 pounds.

I probably would have just ordered the factory steel bumper package and been done with it had the JL's rear steel bumper been a bit more robust...I also looked at several aluminum bumpers and while I found some that seem to be good quality, I did not care for the design. One I wanted to like could be ordered with a 1/4 inch thick option but I thought it hung down a bit low due to the skid plate being an integral part of the bumper design therefore requiring a complete bumper replacement/repair when (not if) damaged...

I still have a couple weeks to wait for my JLR to arrive but in the meantime I wish you luck with all your mods and upgrades!
Thank you for sharing AEV's response. Both theirs and ARB's front bumpers are at the top of my list look-wise. I like the idea of having the stubby option (like AEV and factory steel bumper) but in the real world, I most likely won't use that feature. I had not considered Warn's offerings, thank you for the suggestion. Especially nice that they're [I would imagine] designed to work with their own winches.

Curious what you saw regarding the factory rear steel bumper that turned you away.

An early congratulations on your new JLR and thank you, you as well!

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Since my last post, I have had contact with ARB. They say their classic bumper is designed to absorb impact to lessen the energy in the cab of the vehicle. To hold up to the elements, their Jeep bumpers are treated and coated with a commercial textured powder coat finish from Australia. To answer my concern with cooling (related to adding a winch and lights to the bumper guard), there should be no problems with airflow as they test multiple engines for cooling efficiency. For their newer applications, they do virtual crash testing and design the product around the factory crush zones that absorb impact before the air bags deploy.

I'm happy with the response I received and will continue doing my own research on the subject.

Some great discussion in both threads, thank you for sharing. I hadn't even considered the weight aspect. Wondering how fuel economy is affected by just adding a winch.

Thank you for sharing AEV's response. Both theirs and ARB's front bumpers are at the top of my list look-wise. I like the idea of having the stubby option (like AEV and factory steel bumper) but in the real world, I most likely won't use that feature. I had not considered Warn's offerings, thank you for the suggestion. Especially nice that they're [I would imagine] designed to work with their own winches.

Curious what you saw regarding the factory rear steel bumper that turned you away.

An early congratulations on your new JLR and thank you, you as well!
As for the factory rear bumper, a friend of mine has a JLU with the steel bumper option and while off-roading came down on the left rear and shoved the bumper up into the body causing considerable damage...So, thought I would add something a bit beefier (and heavier) on the ass end.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Same thing for me but I bent it away from the body about 1" so no damage other than bumper.

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
As for the factory rear bumper, a friend of mine has a JLU with the steel bumper option and while off-roading came down on the left rear and shoved the bumper up into the body causing considerable damage...So, thought I would add something a bit beefier (and heavier) on the ass end.
Same thing for me but I bent it away from the body about 1" so no damage other than bumper.
That's too bad to hear, on both accounts. I wonder how an aftermarket steel bumper would have held up in comparison.

OP
OP
dtortie

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I couldn't be happier with my ARB!

IMG_0881.JPG
Very glad to hear from someone with personal experience, thank you for sharing your photo!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. Was there any necessary drilling or modification for install? Do you notice any sag due to the extra weight? Was your MPG affected?

I would be looking to add the same ARB Intensity lights as well. Looks great!
Sponsored