Start of 3.0 Production

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Alright folks, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found this fascinating...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/09/2020-lincoln-aviator-grand-touring-phev-fuel-economy/
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/09/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-fuel-economy-2/

As the EPA seems to like releasing fuel economy numbers on Mondays, I had my hopes up for today. Instead we got the escape hybrid and aviator gt phev numbers. Yea boring I know, but click the embedded links to Autoblogā€™s first drives of each and check out the dates. It took the EPA 3 and a half months to certify the aviator gt phev and nearly 3 months to certify the escape hybrid from the time their manufacturers had let the press drive them. You can bet Ford/Lincoln and FCA had these vehicles and the 3.0 JLU applications into the EPA well before the press drives, which makes this atrocity even more of a joke. Even autoblog comments on how common and ridiculous this is becoming across the industry. If these two releases today are any indication of how long our 3.0s might be sitting in a warehouse awaiting window stickers, we could be looking at 2 more months.
Peter Pessimist strikes again. :CWL:
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I don't think it's reasonable to assume that because two vehicles had 3-3.5 month EPA certification timelines from when they were initially tested by the press, the same will hold true for the diesel JL. For one, the testing could be different for hybrid and electric vehicles. Second, perhaps FCA intentionally delayed their press testing in order to align with *expected* EPA certification, or for some other unrelated reason. Three, given the inventory holding costs, why would FCA allow the diesel to enter production (of some of us have been told), with some being told some tentative delivery dates, in order to just fill up some empty lots with them?

I've spotted diesel JLs driving around Ann Arbor a few months back, so perhaps the testing/certification itself is complete, but pending some other sort of unexpected bureaucratic or legal hurdle? Time will tell, but hopefully some folks will actually have them delivered over the next few weeks.
I think itā€™s reasonable to notice the same pattern the autoblog folks have with this (across the industry, not just these two) and not be surprised if EPA fuel economy delays are similar for the JLU 3.0. Just look at the lines of bs weā€™ve been told already. On 11/4, Jeep was telling the press to expect EPA numbers ā€œany dayā€...that was over 5 weeks ago. They also told the press production would start 11/25 and missed that target by 2+ weeks. Why would they fill up lots with built vehicles? Because theyā€™ve shipped parts for 2+ months worth of orders from all over the world and probably ran out of space for the parts. Not to mention, they put a hold on a pile of new orders to prioritize the backlog of 3.0 orders and probably didnā€™t want that decision to go to waste. And think of it this way...the initial press unveiling of this rig was 9/26 at the Texas state fair. Surely they had the application in to EPA at that point (or prior), and weā€™re only 2 weeks from a 3 month delay if weā€™re using that as a comparison to the 3+ month delays weā€™re seeing elsewhere in the industry.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I called my dealer today since jeep chat down (Iā€™m guessing since it was Sunday). Dealer said ship date says 12/16, but still shows D1 status. I never got a ship date from jeep chat before and 12/16 is only a week away... who knows
Hello JLDIESEL,

Just to add a little more insight, orders typically take 8/10 weeks to arrive once the order has been placed.
If you have any additional questions please let us know.

Lamar
JeepCares

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Hello JLDIESEL,

Just to add a little more insight, orders typically take 8/10 weeks to arrive once the order has been placed.

Lamar
JeepCares

Interesting,

My order was placed 10/12, 8 1/2 weeks ago and Iā€™m still in D status. I doubt you are going to make your 8-10 week delivery prediction.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello JLDIESEL,

Lamar
JeepCares

@JeepCares My question is how some of us been in D status for well over 45 days and Magically 27 November our D status gets reset back to 0 days at that status.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepCares My question is how some of us been in D status for well over 45 days and Magically 27 November our D status gets reset back to 0 days at that status.
Those numbers reset when your order trips the red flags of their delay threshold (somewhere around 45 days). You donā€™t go to the back of the line, but I find it fascinating that JeepCares is on here quoting standard delivery windows when everyone here knows this is an impossibility and exactly why it has become an impossibility. It suggests either no one at Jeep has told Lamar about the 3.0 delays, or they told him not to discuss the EPA holdups because the EPA is running a racket which FCA is not going to further question in public.

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
So I just called my dealer and was told Iā€™m still in D1 and the new ship date is 12/17 (a week from today). As of yesterday, it was 12/16 (which was a week from yesterday). So it looks like they are projecting a 1 week build time and are simply pushing it daily until approval is given. Once the green light is given, it shouldnā€™t be long for those of us who ordered early.

Ordered 10/7 vin 94866

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Those numbers reset when your order trips the red flags of their delay threshold (somewhere around 45 days). You donā€™t go to the back of the line, but I find it fascinating that JeepCares is on here quoting standard delivery windows when everyone here knows this is an impossibility and exactly why it has become an impossibility. It suggests either no one at Jeep has told Lamar about the 3.0 delays, or they told him not to discuss the EPA holdups because the EPA is running a racket which FCA is not going to further question in public.

If that is true then should be a simple explanation from Jeep chat or even their Customer service in FB. Iā€™ve asked that question to several people over there and got the same response. I only show you being in D status since 27 Nov, nothing before that. I would figure if our orders are flagging because it reaches that threshold there would be notes on the file. But I guess This just canā€™t be an easy process :CWL:

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I just sent an email Jeep chat request for my JLURD to be built with the 410 ratio. If all of us diesel rubicon customers sent that request, maybe Jeep would listen. Are there any others interested in the 410 axles?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I just sent an email Jeep chat request for my JLURD to be built with the 410 ratio. If all of us diesel rubicon customers sent that request, maybe Jeep would listen. Are there any others interested in the 410 axles?
Truthfully I don't think it would make a hair of difference in us getting what we want, but to answer the question, yes I'd rather have 4.10's.

Sponsored

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I would also love 4.10s, but they wouldnā€™t do it. Iā€™ll be on 40s and prob wonā€™t regear for a long time. If I do, itā€™ll be 4.56 or 4.88.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I would also love 4.10s, but they wouldnā€™t do it. Iā€™ll be on 40s and prob wonā€™t regear for a long time. If I do, itā€™ll be 4.56 or 4.88.
Iā€™m good with 37ā€™s. Even then Iā€™ll have to add a step for my wife to get in. 37ā€™s should be fine with 410... I think.

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Iā€™m good with 37ā€™s. Even then Iā€™ll have to add a step for my wife to get in. 37ā€™s should be fine with 410... I think.
Yeah, the JLs were almost built for 37ā€˜s. I had 37s on my JK with 4.56 and it did well. Couple of buddies are on 40s with their JLs on stock gearing and swear they wonā€™t regear. Hereā€™s my old girl... I miss her, but wanted this diesel so bad. Hereā€™s my boysā€™ Jeeps for some eye candy.

9FA044A5-5800-401D-B1D3-49A71660B06C.jpeg

7E85FDB7-D279-4C9B-A2B8-D5AC6BD2DAF6.jpeg

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
37s will almost certainly be fine with 3.73. The 3.0 is putting more wheel torque through 3.73 than the 3.6 or 2.0 running 4.10. I plan to run a ton of long distance and wheeling miles on 37s so weā€™ll see if the low speed stuff warrants a regear, but I highly doubt it will. As a matter of fact, Iā€™d rather chip-tune the engine north of 500lb-ft (which will be available in short order and still meet EPA regs) than re-gear...best of both worlds.
Sponsored