Halo DRL

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I still don't get why FCA would incur the additional tooling and certification's costs of maintaining a separate NA vs Rest of the world head light system.
What is the benefit?
There are certainly no EU regulations which prohibit the halo lights. Several makes use them.
Mini cooper, BMW 5 series, the new Mercedes G-Klasse, just to name a few.

Did you happen to notice if there is an e-mark on lights?
It would be e+number like a little e1 or e13.
This would mean it has gone through the testing needed for Europe.
Sponsored

TheoYJ

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Jeep JL
There are certainly no EU regulations which prohibit the halo lights. Several makes use them.
Mini cooper, BMW 5 series, the new Mercedes G-Klasse, just to name a few.
Sorry, but you're wrong. European regulations say that DRL have to be not more than 40 cm away from the sides/outside corners of the car. Mini Cooper, BMW 5 series, the new Mercedes G-Wagon have this dimensions, so they can use the Halorings in the headlights as a DRL.

JL Wranglers have the big side fenders, so - if you use halorings in the Jeep headlights - there is more than 40 cm difference to the outside of the car. So in darkness the car seems smaller as it is. That is the reason why we have to use the fender DRL.

And also only 2 DRL are allowed. So we can not use the fender DRL and also the halorings together...

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Sorry, but you're wrong. European regulations say that DRL have to be not more than 40 cm away from the sides/outside corners of the car.
I see.... so there is no regulation against the halo lights, it is simply because the lights are too far towards the center.

So in darkness the car seems smaller as it is. That is the reason why we have to use the fender DRL.
That makes no sense at all though, as DRL are not for use in darkness. That's what the head lamps are for.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
In the usa they also have the DRL in the fenders with Halo lights ...

DRL = daytime runing light not night time runing lights ;)

There are three kinds of LED headlights MOPAR : LED USA, LED EU LHD and LED EU RHD. The complete kit USA with harness is: 82215136AC .

let's see the true light ....

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
Sorry, but you're wrong. European regulations say that DRL have to be not more than 40 cm away from the sides/outside corners of the car. Mini Cooper, BMW 5 series, the new Mercedes G-Wagon have this dimensions, so they can use the Halorings in the headlights as a DRL.

JL Wranglers have the big side fenders, so - if you use halorings in the Jeep headlights - there is more than 40 cm difference to the outside of the car. So in darkness the car seems smaller as it is. That is the reason why we have to use the fender DRL.

And also only 2 DRL are allowed. So we can not use the fender DRL and also the halorings together...
Factory Halo rings are not as bright as the fender DRL so they canā€™t be used as a substitute to the Fender ones. If anything they just supplement the fender lights. So itā€™s doubtful they are illegal, but Iā€™m not an expert on the EU legislation so I could be wrong.

Sponsored

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO

the fenders lights have two distinct functions: DRL (for the day time ...) and position / lanterns lights, less brilliant for the night time when the crossing headlights are on (the DRLs go out)

In Europe the BMWs have four halos ... so the law allows it , the only good reason is to save money (for FCA)

Osinski

First Name
Jose Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Hella Yella
Factory Halo rings are not as bright as the fender DRL so they canā€™t be used as a substitute to the Fender ones. If anything they just supplement the fender lights. So itā€™s doubtful they are illegal, but Iā€™m not an expert on the EU legislation so I could be wrong.
Hi All:

Last year, I bought a JL Rubi V6 in USA. The import company done all necessary to adapt the car to the European rules (concretly lights).
Maybe I'm the only one JL running with halo lights in a legal way, because the homolagation certificate was issued with these halo lights. So it's legal to use them.

Best regards.

JCC

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Hi All:

Last year, I bought a JL Rubi V6 in USA. The import company done all necessary to adapt the car to the European rules (concretly lights).
Maybe I'm the only one JL running with halo lights in a legal way, because the homolagation certificate was issued with these halo lights. So it's legal to use them.

Best regards.

JCC
Hello, Jose Carlos!
Could you please clarify - are you running ONLY halo lights as DRLs or together with fender flare lights? I think if you have fender flares DRLs active you can use the halos without any problems.

Osinski

First Name
Jose Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Hella Yella
Hello, Jose Carlos!
Could you please clarify - are you running ONLY halo lights as DRLs or together with fender flare lights? I think if you have fender flares DRLs active you can use the halos without any problems.
Hi Marat:

I'm using both. However, because I have the Taze mini, I can connect or disconnect that I want.

;-)

I hope that this can help.

JCC

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Yup Iā€™ve attached a few pics. I was actually in the USA a few weeks ago so I picked them up while I was there, avoiding any shipping costs and import duty.

The process was simple, itā€™s just a simple headlight swap around and adding the halo wire to the existing harness.

I then routed the halo wire to the fuse box where I put in a fuse tap into the cigarette lighter. I didnā€™t really want to spend hours trying to route the cable to the BCM.

Migrating the auto levelling to the USA lights was also simple. The only painful part was clicking the auto levelling things into place into the USA lights.

0741C382-77D4-4AE8-A70D-F206B63B0A45.jpeg

6D004757-E86A-496E-8CCB-8711B0BB907B.jpeg
just a follow on from your install, I believe the Lights are 'handed' for RH and LH , will these still pass a UK MOT?

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
just a follow on from your install, I believe the Lights are 'handed' for RH and LH , will these still pass a UK MOT?
If they are the US lights, then likely not. EU headlamps have a cut off in the beam to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. D.O.T does not require that. In any case, since you are driving on the wrong side of the road, it would be reversed.
Also, the lights will not have a E-mark on it. Like "E1" or any other number at the end. This is also a requirement in europe and the UK.
European head lamps are also illegal in the US as they are not DOT approved.
Though, in the US you really need to come across a super a-hole cop to actually get busted for it.

A major reason why the US has a much larger car culture is that the US is WAY more relaxed about allowing people to modify their vehicles. In Europe, it's like we are living North Korea with respect to what the government "allows" us to do with our own property.
Must be to "protect the children" or something like that. I guess we should be thankful they allow us to drive a car privately at all!

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
The headlights are flat, there is no kick to the left or right. So as far as Iā€™m aware it will pass MOT.

They probably arenā€™t technically legal to use on the road in the EU as the above poster explained, but youā€™d be incredibly unlucky to get caught out by someone inspecting your headlamp for the ā€˜E markerā€™

I have inspected the beam myself, comparing the EU and USA lights. They are the exact same in that regard.

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door
Hello there. I have 2020 JL 2D Rubicon EU version with LED headlights. I was wondering if my healights have halo pin at harness or not. After checking I have realized there are just 3 pins ;o( But it seems like halo LED module might be inside. Do you happen to know if it is there? I am hesitating to open it as my Jeep is 2 weeks old ;o) I am attaching my pictures and picture of what I call " halo LED module" from internet. Thanks for your feedback.

Here is how to open LED headlight to enable halo. Good news on my end is that I should not use oven as my glass is removeable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL 1591381368431

Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL 1591381502996

Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL 1591381302193

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door
Unfortunately the export LEDā€™s only have 3 pins on both the headlight housing and the harness. Also the light doesnā€™t have any functional halo in it.

You can buy the oracle surface halo lights which look alright.

Otherwise youā€™ll have to buy a pair of American Jeep LED lights along with the harness. Even then youā€™ll probably need the Tazer JL to make them function correctly as I doubt the dealer would be able to figure out how to activate them seeing as export Wranglers donā€™t come with it.
Hello Luke,

You wrote "Also the light doesnā€™t have any functional halo in it." Did you open the headlight and saw no electronic circuits for halo inside?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Hello Luke,

You wrote "Also the light doesnā€™t have any functional halo in it." Did you open the headlight and saw no electronic circuits for halo inside?
Already confirmed by some other folks. Non NA units do not ship with the Halo installed. There is close to a zero chance that Fiat would ship those lamps with an expensive LED part which will never be used. The units are not cheap.
Sponsored