Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I asked this earlier but did not get a response. If you remove the rear driveshaft, does the rear differential still engage, hence reproducing the same knocking noise when coasting? I only asked this because they blamed it on my rear driveshaft, saying my lift puts it at a stressing angle causing the knocking noise. Not sure how they pulled this out of their a**. So they claim that once the shaft was off, the noise disappeared. I replaced my rear driveshaft and the knocking noise is still there. It's clearly coming from the rear differential just like everybody else's...
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Last edited:

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked my fluid and black as well, 7k miles. Tires spin in opposite direction. But I have no knocking at all, its very quiet.

Edit: after some reading looks like its normal for these differentials to spin in opposite directions with no load on them.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-check-if-lsd-is-working-properly.42233/
Definitely correct- my Limited Slip spun opposite directions since new. Good to hear someone else that has no issues.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares team, I am a new 2020 Wrangler Sahara owner and experiencing the issue detailed in this thread after my first week of ownership. I have the LSD with a Dana 44 and am getting the rotational vibrating sound at low speeds. I'd like some help getting this escalated immediately with my dealership since this vehicle is only 1 week old. Please contact me.
Hi Christine,
We regret to learn that you are experiencing this with your new Wrangler. Please send us a PM and we would be happy to begin the escalation process.

@JeepCares

Welcome to the forum. Typing the @ sign and the username will pop up a list, then clicking the name will create a notification to that user. That will ensure they see your message.

:flag:
Thank you for tagigng us, Scott!
Alex
JeepCares

SpacemanJeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport Unlimited
Update.

Just got a call regarding my Jeep. So this is going on for 4 weeks now (roughly). Just installed new transfer case and guess what? NOPE. The knock is still there. At this point, i'm just gonna ride this s@#$ show of a creek with no paddle with this dealership. The dealer gave me rental so at least I have a car.
Update that I got is they will run some kind of wire camera now inside the axle to see what's causing the issue? I don't know. Like, why not just change the axle?

On the positive note, @JeepCares is the reason at this point i'm getting results. Also, new transfer case :) lets' see if i can get a new axle for Christmas, lol.

Or maybe lemon and get my money back and go back to 4Runner? (>_<)

Sponsored

Needles

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I bought an JL 2018 a week ago with 15k on it and 35” MT’s. I was not fond of having tires that size as I prefer 32’s. I noticed the text book clunking two days later at the 20mph range. They just called me and said the entire rear end needs replacing. Anything I should look out for in the future to prevent this from happening again? Is it being caused by the tire size or just a flaw.

Tango_Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara 3.6L, '99 XJ 4.0L
First time poster here. I have a 2018.5 Sahara with 17000 kms on it, the rubi express 2.5 lift, and 35 inch tires, and Dana 44. I started to get the clunking a few weeks ago, and it is in the shop today. They are taking a driveshaft from a new JL and swapping it to see if that will fix it (sounds like it wont).

Is the general consensus that it is the transfer case causing it?

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
First time poster here. I have a 2018.5 Sahara with 17000 kms on it, the rubi express 2.5 lift, and 35 inch tires, and Dana 44. I started to get the clunking a few weeks ago, and it is in the shop today. They are taking a driveshaft from a new JL and swapping it to see if that will fix it (sounds like it wont).

Is the general consensus that it is the transfer case causing it?
They gave me the same BS. They replaced my front driveshaft (not sure why, since it doesn't even move in 2H). They then removed my rear driveshaft and rode it around. They claimed the noise was gone and left it at that. Told me to get a new drive shaft. I got one and noise is still there.

It's definitely coming from the rear differential.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hi All,

So my jeep has been in the shop twice now for this same issue. First time at around 9k miles and 2nd time at around 14k. I just got it back last week from the 2nd visit. They did the exact same thing to it as the 1st time. Replaced the entire rear differential carrier assembly. They can't tell me what is causing the failure. All they say is that they have never seen anything like it. It's great Jeep is covering the repair under warranty. But what is going to happen when our warranty runs out? I am not confident my rear diff is permanently fixed. I guess I'll find out in another few thousand miles... frustrating.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get a knock while driving. Sometimes I get a strange rattle/clacking sound between 2nd and 3rd gear while accelerating.

I do get a knock and jolt when shifting into drive from a parked position. Is this the same as everyone is mentioning?

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get a knock while driving. Sometimes I get a strange rattle/clacking sound between 2nd and 3rd gear while accelerating.

I do get a knock and jolt when shifting into drive from a parked position. Is this the same as everyone is mentioning?
the noise most of us are experiencing happens most noticeably when coasting between 10-30 mph

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I have 2 inch lift, but I don’t believe it’s related to the lift after what I’m being told is the cause of failure. Anyone else having this concern, get it to your dealer and go through the process, I’ve read of a few folks having rear ends replaced already at under 12k.
It’s not related. I’ve been getting the same noise and I am FULLY stock suspension wise JLU Sport 6-Speed D44 rear..

I noticed the clunking even worse this morning I had to backup down my street as I forgot to take the trash out this morning before work and boy was it loud. I also get it sometimes from a full stop accelerating in 1st gear and while coasting at low speeds. It’s coming from the rear diff from what I can hear but it’s har to tell. Def rotational. I can almost feel it. Taking it in tomorrow. I plan on putting Rubi suspension soon and want this dealt with before I do that so there is no question..

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Update. Got a call unexpectedly from dealer today that the parts came in and was repaired today. No more chatter. Work order stated the clutch pack was worn and spider gears had to much play. They had the Wrangler for a little over two weeks total. Very happy with service I received from Atlantic Jeep in St Augustine FL.

E1F77072-90CA-4355-BED1-2659175AC507.jpeg
Hey that’s my dealership! My SM is Justin. I’m going through the same issue I will see him tomorrow about it. Thanks for sharing!

My thing is what caused it to go bad?! I only have 23k on the ODO.

Last edited:

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not related. I’ve been getting the same noise and I am FULLY stock suspension wise JLU Sport 6-Speed D44 rear..

I noticed the clunking even worse this morning I had to backup down my street as I forgot to take the trash out this morning before work and boy was it loud. I also get it sometimes from a full stop accelerating in 1st gear and while coasting at low speeds. It’s coming from the rear diff from what I can hear but it’s har to tell. Def rotational. I can almost feel it. Taking it in tomorrow. I plan on putting Rubi suspension soon and want this dealt with before I do that so there is no question..
That’s an old post from me, I had 3 rear ends replaced( complete housings, axles, ring, and pinion) finally got rid of it. Same parts are being replaced, no updated parts yet that I’ve heard of. Best of luck

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That’s an old post from me, I had 3 rear ends replaced( complete housings, axles, ring, and pinion) finally got rid of it. Same parts are being replaced, no updated parts yet that I’ve heard of. Best of luck
Im taking it in tomorrow and luckily a member here has my same dealership and already had his issue fixed. I’m assuming mine is the same issue. Clutch pack in carrier assembly..
Sponsored