Sponsored

Lift kit or no lift kit? Or maybe spacers . . .

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Sport Wrangler
I have come to the conclusion that I really miss having a Jeep with the lift kit and big tires. Maybe if I'd had a stock Jeep to begin with it wouldn't be that big a deal . . . I was planning on keeping my current Jeep stock as long as possible. I held out for 8 months; a record for me ,really :giggle:.

I've been looking into tires/wheels/lift kits for my girl. My previous Jeep had a 2 inch lift kit, 295/70/18 tire; I'm using those numbers as a guide. My questions:

I've read some posts where a stock 2 door Wrangler could pull off 35" wheels, providing I'm not off-roading in it (Michigan potholes sometimes have that affect though). True?

I've also read about spacers here . . . what is the difference between those and a lift kit (other than cost)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. The more I know before talking to my mechanic (aka husband) the better the chances that Santa will bring my Jeep her first Christmas gift :angel:. Thank you!!!!!!
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Is it a Rubicon? If so, you can run 35s no lift. If it is a Sport/Sahara you will want to lift.

A spacer kit will put plastic or metal spacers above your stock springs to achieve the lift. A lift kit will replace the springs with taller ones. If you like the stock feelings I'd say go with a spacer kit. The Rough Country 2.5 kit is popular and costs less than $200. I would add their adjustable front track bar to the kit to center your front axle. I'd also add a set of geometry correction brackets to correct caster.

RC Spacer Kit $199
RC Track Bar $149
Rubicon Express Geo Brackets 129

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it a Rubicon? If so, you can run 35s no lift. If it is a Sport/Sahara you will want to lift.

A spacer kit will put plastic or metal spacers above your stock springs to achieve the lift. A lift kit will replace the springs with taller ones. If you like the stock feelings I'd say go with a spacer kit. The Rough Country 2.5 kit is popular and costs less than $200. I would add their adjustable front track bar to the kit to center your front axle. I'd also add a set of geometry correction brackets to correct caster.

RC Spacer Kit $199
RC Track Bar $149
Rubicon Express Geo Brackets 129
I have a 2 door Sport S. I do like the stock suspension better . . . but it sounds like spacers won't do the job . . . :no:.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2" taller springs gives you a little more suspension travel than 2" spacers
With spacers there is a chance of over compressing the stock springs with heavy duty off road use, but that can easily be solved with 2" longer bump stops. So with spacers and bump stops your suspension travel is the same as stock but your frame is 2" higher.

1.5 or 2" spacers requires minimal mods requiring only slightly longer shocks or shock brackets that move the lower shock mount up an 1" or 2". This allows you to run any stock length shock. (its harder to find a length that is exactly 1" or 2" longer.

Having bigger tires.....an upgrade of even a $50 shock such as a Rancho RS5000X and a better steering stabilizer is a benefit you will notice.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/uhdinator.547/

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only 'heavy duty use' I've ever done was driving over a curb because I pulled into the wrong parking lot. I just love (and miss) the way it looks.

Dunno if this helps . . . something tells me that spacers/bump stops won't lift it like this . . .

mimi.jpg

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only 'heavy duty use' I've ever done was driving over a curb because I pulled into the wrong parking lot. I just love (and miss) the way it looks.

Dunno if this helps . . . something tells me that spacers/bump stops won't lift it like this . . .

mimi.jpg
2" spacers and 305/65/17 tires.

Tumbledown2 copy.jpg

IMG_5285.JPG

Croppwed2 copy.jpg

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2" is just enough to overcome the wimpy stock look and not mess up the ride. Only upgrades besides spacers...... was better shocks and steering Stabilizer, Wheels and Tires.

The White Rock at the top of the mountain in the 1st pic is where the 3rd picture was taken.

Sponsored

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
IMG_20181217_162717978.jpg
Or you could consider a Rubicon takeoff suspension from someone who has lifted their Rubi, If you find a 4dr hardtop setup it will get you almost 2". You get both a stock feel as well as taller springs and upgraded shocks and you could always still go with spacers later if you want to go higher
View attachment 259171

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!!! I watched their video on tire sizes . . . REALLY helpful!
No problem...i found it helped me to really think about what i was going to use the jeep for and what i needed for it without going overboard.....