What Would the Bronco Have to Do to Win You Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If they hold true to the classic styling, removable top, half-doors... then yes. Even with an IFS, it could hold enough nostalgia to sell well. I would be very tempted to have one as a second (third) vehicle. But without solid front axle... no, it will never truly compete with the Wrangler in capability or ease of modifications.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was holding out for the Bronco. The date kept slipping and this year I bought a JLUR. I got tired if wating. I've still got my 84 Bronco II basket case that I need to get back on the road

Now, with that said, in a few years, my wife will be looking and it's still on her list. She likes our Jeep, but doesn't want the same vehicle as me. She would not do more than fire roads when we go camping, so IFS would be fine for her. The Baby Bronco may be a contender too. For her, the removable top would be all she really cared about.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Surely someone has said this already but to answer the threadā€™s question, Ford would have to make the Bronco first... still donā€™t see it anywhere.
Yup, I came in here to post this. If they ever release it then I'll see if they can win me over. But, things that could win me over are:
Good steering
V8 engine option
No auto park or ESS
No funky dual battery system
Fun colors like mojito and punk'n
A little more width
Priced 10K less than an equivalent wrangler

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
It would have to not be a Ford ;)
I started reading this thread and thought when Iā€™d read through to the end, I would type a reply of my own. Whatā€™s funny is what you typed is exactly what I had planned to say!

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Coyote V8 and the Rubicon goes up for sale/trade as soon as I test drive one. Honestly, if the Bronco gets the Ecoboost V6 and has a tow capacity in excess of 5000 lbs I may still switch. I've always liked the Raptor but it is way too big for what I like to drive. The Bronco seems like it will have some of the same coolness. I would have probably even gone the Defender route it it didn't go immediately to $70k plus once interesting options were added.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
They used the Willys patented design. They didn't design it. They simply made clones. We needed so many, one manufacturer would never had been able to supply the amount of "jeeps" the military needed.
You are correct for the M38 but Ford DID build them. Now in 1951 Ford was awarded a contract to make a replacement version/update (independent susto the ā€˜JEEPā€™ known as the the M151 which they made from 1959-1988. So any ā€˜Jeepā€™ you seen from the ā€˜modern eraā€™ are all Fords.

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
It'll take a lot for me to consider buying a Ford after reading articles like this one about Ford go cheap on design despite its engineers telling it to do things right.

But if the Bronco proves itself mechanically over 5+ years, I would consider it if:
  • it can legitimately tow
  • it can go topless more easily than my JLU
  • it has a dual-top option with a quality soft top like my JLU
  • it can include an optional third row seat
  • it has a legit and trustworthy 4x4 system
  • it has a proven engine/trans
  • it has an attractive price/warranty

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You are correct for the M38 but Ford DID build them. Now in 1951 Ford was awarded a contract to make a replacement version/update (independent susto the ā€˜JEEPā€™ known as the the M151 which they made from 1959-1988. So any ā€˜Jeepā€™ you seen from the ā€˜modern eraā€™ are all Fords.
And Kaiser and AM General

Sponsored

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
They used the Willys patented design. They didn't design it. They simply made clones. We needed so many, one manufacturer would never had been able to supply the amount of "jeeps" the military needed.
Right back at ya but change Willyā€™s to Ford!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Looks, Price, Performance, Quality . Convertible top, removable doors, priced mid 20s for a 2 door ,base entry level,( including wheels). Warranty, Bumper to Bumper, 6 years, 75,000 miles, drive train ,8 years, 100,000 miles .
Ford has a long long way to go, in my opinion, but I welcome competition, it will improve the product, give choice and value to the genre.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.