2020 JL steering wheel issue

• Total voters

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I know the issue well as my first 2018 JLUR had the wander issue.
My wife just got her 2020 JLUR and it's perfect (except the tires are a lot more aggressive than my KO3s)
Sponsored

OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
Today my dealer told me that I have updated trackbar but the steering box not the updated one it should be changed, they will change it soon. He said all the wranglers build around the same date have the same issue

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Today my dealer told me that I have updated trackbar but the steering box not the updated one it should be changed, they will change it soon. He said all the wranglers build around the same date have the same issue
What steering box do you currently have? And what's the build date of your jeep?

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Wow that sounds a bit odd considering a 2020 model. As far as we seem to know the AE box is the latest and started with builds around June of 2019.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Wow that sounds a bit odd considering a 2020 model. As far as we seem to know the AE box is the latest and started with builds around June of 2019.
Also, the loose steering has been an issue since the 2018 builds. So it seems this issue spans 2018-2020 builds and not just a specific manufacture window.

Sponsored

OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
What steering box do you currently have? And what's the build date of your jeep?
I will ask the dealer to provide me with the current part number.
the production date is - 25th August 2019

OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
Yeah, I was surprised as well. I was hopping 2020s will have updated stuff but looks like they don't

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Yeah, I was surprised as well. I was hopping 2020s will have updated stuff but looks like they don't
Mine's an August 2019 build as well. Please share any info you get from your dealer.
thanks!

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, Lexus, Tiffin, Chaparral
Mine is July 2019 with all the updated "AE" parts and of course has the steering issues. I'm now just recommending everyone that has the issue, report it. I'm sure this has been posted but here is the link.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Here's my data:
Minor wandering
2020 JL
4 cylinder
MDH: 102407
Manufactured in Toledo "W"

I have filed with the NHTSA

thanks for doing this.

Joe

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by 2 dealers that there is no recall in 2020, and the steering was as intended... I feared for the life of my children.. so I went out and spent 200 dollars on a steering stabilizer, and 200 dollars on a front track bar... now the thing drives solid and safe... Well worth the 400 bucks.. but @JeepCares was not very helpful, they just directed me to the dealer and then another dealer, who all told me it's fine.. but wind, pothole, or sharp dip in freeway, and I was bouncing all over the lane.. even going down straightaways couldn't take my eyes off the road for a second. THe dealership tried to tell me that is how solid axle vehicles drive.. i had a JK for 4 years, it never tried to kill me.

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told by 2 dealers that there is no recall in 2020, and the steering was as intended... I feared for the life of my children.. so I went out and spent 200 dollars on a steering stabilizer, and 200 dollars on a front track bar... now the thing drives solid and safe... Well worth the 400 bucks.. but @JeepCares was not very helpful, they just directed me to the dealer and then another dealer, who all told me it's fine.. but wind, pothole, or sharp dip in freeway, and I was bouncing all over the lane.. even going down straightaways couldn't take my eyes off the road for a second. THe dealership tried to tell me that is how solid axle vehicles drive.. i had a JK for 4 years, it never tried to kill me.
Thank you for sharing that. Can you please tell me what brand and where you bought the steering stabilizer and the front track bar, because i'm gonna do that, too. Thanks mi amigo, Joe

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Here's my data:
Minor wandering
2020 JL
4 cylinder
MDH: 102407
Manufactured in Toledo "W"

I have filed with the NHTSA

thanks for doing this.

Joe
cant believe this is still happening in 2020 models. Horrible! Mine was built a day after yours. I got lucky, no steering or wandering issues, knock on wood. :whew:

Sorry to all who are dealing with this. :(

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Glad for your Jennalee - it's not a 100% all Jeep thing...it seems to impact somewhere between 30-40% of the JLU's. There is a consistency so far that the "majority" of those who posted their 2020's were built in August that experience this problem so far and most have been 6-cyl.
I am lucky at this point - I was told that they are going to buy back or allow me to reorder another one. Whew....hopefully no more problem.
My STRONG ADVICE to anyone - test drive the shyt out of anyone you want to buy. I can tell you this - I will NOT accept another one until I have 100% driven it for a good straight long distance on a freeway and that I can would feel safe putting my hands in my pocket without the fear of death from it pulling - not that I would actually put my hands in my pockets...you get the idea ;-)
What I can tell you is that the AE Steering Box, along with the upgrade Mopar bar (used in their 2" kit), and an adjustment to the Caster did make a huge difference, but it DID NOT solve the problem completely, It feels stiffer for sure, but after letting go of the wheel, it still wants to pull to the right...not as quick or as bad as it once did, but not as it is suppose to do...which is drive straight. I know this because I have now driven 6 JLU's on test drives that had NO PROBLEM at all tracking straight...so it isn't just me or having high expectations...it simply isn't right.

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cant believe this is still happening in 2020 models. Horrible! Mine was built a day after yours. I got lucky, no steering or wandering issues, knock on wood. :whew:

Sorry to all who are dealing with this. :(
Jennalee,
Do you know the part numbers on your JL, especially the steering box?
Thank you,
Joe
Sponsored