Sponsored

Is there a true fix for the Steering/Wandering issue?

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
So I posted some comments in another thread on steering issues, but count me as one of the owners that got sick of the poor steering and fully believe that FCA/JEEP is never going to fix. I have friends and peers that have been to the shop 5+ times and in some cases things got worse. I love every aspect of my 2020 JLUR except the steering (and front defrost). I am now 4 days on my PSC Overlander Kit (SK500) and I am very happy. Angry I had to spend $2560 for the SK500 and install, but I can tell you that the play in my steering and it wandering is completely gone. The feel is a little lighter, but that is because I am on stock 33's. I plan on putting a Teraflex 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer on this week and think on firm I will be perfect for highway.

To each their own, but now I can enjoy myself. Not happy about the money out of pocket, but that feeling will vanish soon.
Great News, congrats!

I also sprung for the PSC kit during the black friday sale and hope to get it installed next week. Like others, I'm pissed that I have to fork over this much dough to correct an issue on a new vehicle. But time is money, head space is time, and at this point I need the time and head space more than I need the money. I have a job, a family, and hobbies that I'd rather spend my time and energy on.

I was going to tighten the steering box (again) and move on but the thought of the steering locking up due to my adjustment just didn't sit well with me. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic. If something were to happen to my family because of an unauthorized adjustment I made, that would haunt me for the rest of my life. $3k for peace of mind is worth it to me.
Sponsored

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
So I posted some comments in another thread on steering issues, but count me as one of the owners that got sick of the poor steering and fully believe that FCA/JEEP is never going to fix. I have friends and peers that have been to the shop 5+ times and in some cases things got worse. I love every aspect of my 2020 JLUR except the steering (and front defrost). I am now 4 days on my PSC Overlander Kit (SK500) and I am very happy. Angry I had to spend $2560 for the SK500 and install, but I can tell you that the play in my steering and it wandering is completely gone. The feel is a little lighter, but that is because I am on stock 33's. I plan on putting a Teraflex 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer on this week and think on firm I will be perfect for highway.

To each their own, but now I can enjoy myself. Not happy about the money out of pocket, but that feeling will vanish soon.
Good information for sure. I wonder that if FCA would have to reimburse those that have chosen to fix these issues? I wonder if past issues that owners have repaired have been compensated.

Chevy paid me over half of my money when my Tahoe’s AC Literally blew a huge hole in the condenser and destroyed the compressor cause they didn’t add a low pressure sensor to the system. The compressor ran till it overheated and died . I paid to fix it with aftermarket parts which they without fighting over it paid me back..

Just a thought if they have too or have in the past.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Honestly, nothing would surprise me. It's the amount of possible variations that makes the entire matter so mind boggling. You could follow other peoples suggestions and spend thousands of dollars and not achieve a solution or do a simple fix and hit a home run.
It's this maddening variable that makes me not desire to try things on my own and sink $$$ in with no results. Dealer has fiddled around and done what he could and what he was allowed to do by the powers at FCA, so I cant complain about the dealers service (lack of empathy is another story).

If it was every JL I would better understand, but the small percentage that have the problem realize its not a classic jeep thing or imaginary problem. Many of us, myself included have driven older Jeeps before and know what to expect and fully know what the steering is like in a Jeep. We have driven other JL's on the lots with great steering so we know the problem is not a figment of our imagination, its a true problem that we cant get the mfg. to resolve.

If I knew of a definitive fix, I would have done it already since I am almost 10 months into this battle.
Once my issue is settled with Jeep in the legal matters I will determine the next move, but until that happens my hands are tied as far as making mods on my own.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS

Just want to confirm, prior to the PSC kit you had loose steering and wandering? I only ask because I'm hopeful the kit will fix my loose steering but really hoping wandering isn't going to be another issue I'll need to address too.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Center play in steering and constant micro adjustments to keep her straight. That is how I would summarize my issues. All of which are now gone. I actually had a smile on my face today driving. So very happy about the positive change, though I am still peeved about the cash outlay, but want option did I have.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Except from what I have understood from others, the PSC kit solves the loose steering...not the wandering. I believe these a two separate issues.
This is my experience, sadly. The PSC kit fixed the play, but the wandering is as bad as ever and I think more of an issue now that the slop is gone. My husband said it drives worse now.

I’ve driven a JL as a loaner for a few days and it had an inch of play and it didn’t wander. I could drive it without thinking about driving. Those with steering issues know what I mean.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I’m prepping to install my PSC system with ram. Oddly enough I was checking to see if I can get the pit arm arm nut off to get more clearance to pop the drag link off, and the pitman arm nut was not even finger tight. Will plug the battery back and see how much steering play I have after tightening it. At least one more thing to check. I never loosened it by the way.

GoofyBooty

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m prepping to install my PSC system with ram. Oddly enough I was checking to see if I can get the pit arm arm nut off to get more clearance to pop the drag link off, and the pitman arm nut was not even finger tight. Will plug the battery back and see how much steering play I have after tightening it. At least one more thing to check. I never loosened it by the way.
Follow up on this? Interested to hear.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Follow up on this? Interested to hear.
tightening the pitman arm made no difference. Still 1-1.5” of slop to correct. Psc steering is almost done. Got a bad flu monday could hardly get of bed, so working with 100 deg fever today i am a bit slow. Just a few things left for tomorrow: steering box, ram and lines to ram and steering box. Will report back early next week on full PSC kit.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PSC will remove all play. Also, give the bleeding of the system lots of time.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
PSC will remove all play. Also, give the bleeding of the system lots of time.
The first time I turned the wheel it was a bit of shock. It actually turned responsively. Need to retweak the drag-link a little more. But it seems to track straight well. On the main road to my house I was trained to slightly correct the steering while driving on it, that is no longer needed, No play as you said. I filled the up the fluid while putting it all back together so it went fairly quick other than double correcting for my ram orientation. Still a bit worried about clearance at full flex, but ran out of time today.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
Since FCA refuses to fix my steering/wandering issue with my Jeep.

I have two options, to either sell it or fix it out of my own pocket.

If I choose to fix it, are there any "TRUE" fixes out there in which I can purchase quality products the first time so I can enjoy my Jeep the way I intended to when I purchased it.

Watch "Will This Bracket FIX Our Jeeps Steering Issues??" on YouTube

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Watch "Will This Bracket FIX Our Jeeps Steering Issues??" on YouTube
I know this part helps but what is concerning is look at 15:07 in that video. In the AFTER shots you clearly see the aluminum sector shaft support block flexing and moving while steering input is given. So there is still unwanted flex and motion in the system. Not a fault of Synergy's part as it does help, but it shows still a possibility of more improvement.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
After trying and replacing EVERYTHING and I mean everything including Yeti Track arm brace and 2 steering box`s. The only thing that I have seen with my own eyes and actually drove in before and after was a JLUR that wandered and had a dead spot like mine was a 18 Rubicon that had been swapped over to a PSC SK500 kit, no more electronic/hydraulic assist steering. I drove like my JK Stock and with 35`s on it, and it is not quite as responsive as my wifes Grand Cherokee Overland it was tight and right. I was told by PSC that you don`t need the ram assist unless your going hardcore with anything over 35`s . Plus the Ram Assist is illegal in certain states, but it`s okay to have a Jeep that gives you a whit knuckle ride
To all of you guys out thee that say just deal with it, its a Jeep what do you expect, or all you need is a 15mm wrench, every Jeep is not the same. Maybe yours was fixed with a new track bar, it didn't help mine,neither did a Steer Smarts or Synergy or Falcon adjustable stabilizer. So after spending over $50K built to order Jeep and countless hours at the dealers and on the phone and emails, would you just deal with it? If it weren't for the way I was treated by Jeep and Jeep Cares along with Jeep corporate I would have gladly spent $2400 to make it right but F them

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first time I turned the wheel it was a bit of shock. It actually turned responsively. Need to retweak the drag-link a little more. But it seems to track straight well. On the main road to my house I was trained to slightly correct the steering while driving on it, that is no longer needed, No play as you said. I filled the up the fluid while putting it all back together so it went fairly quick other than double correcting for my ram orientation. Still a bit worried about clearance at full flex, but ran out of time today.
I found that by then adding a Teraflex adjustable steering stabilizer AND adjustable lower control arms, it took it to the next level (and last for me). My caster is about +7.5 right now and very pleased. I said to my wife this weekend while driving - "you don't here me talking about steering anymore do you?". Very happy now and can enjoy my Rubicon!
Sponsored