Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
Yeah, soooo, definitely not fixed. It used to happen most strongly around 65 mph, they took it to 65 mph and no vibration. Called me and said hooray, it’s fixed. I went up there and drove it at 73 mph and vibration was there. Why 73 mph... a speedo programmed for 315/70/R17 running a Sahara tire at 255/70/R 18 means 73 mph on speedo = 65.97 mph. Same speed vibration happened before. Left the Jeep with them and we’ll see what they suggest next.
Is there any update if you found a fix?
Sponsored

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2008 Lotus Exige, 1957 Caterham Super Seven
Is there any update if you found a fix?
I never found a fix and was told to come get the car from the dealer because FCA wasn't authorizing any more repairs. I'm now fighting through the buyback process with FCA - it's a total joke.

It's too bad there are no offroad competitors to the doors-off top-down feeling of the Jeep brand. I'd leave FCA and Jeep behind in a heartbeat after this clusterf***.

Suchestom

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ8, 1979 CJ7
My brother and I both bought 2019 JLU Rubicons in July. Mine has been fine. His had this problem. They tried the rear driveshaft, the torque converter, and a rear axle assembly. FCA rep declared it fixed. It wasn’t. He has an attorney working on a buy back. It more than meets GEORGIA lemon law requirements. The dealership has a new one for sale doing the same thing. Sadly it remains for sale, so new buyers beware.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Add me to the list. 2019 JLUR with rhythmic vibrations at 63-65mph. I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but the vibration for me is there 90% of the time when I hit around 63mph. The other 10% of the time i can’t really notice it. I’m wondering if it is something other than the driveline. Anyone try blocking off their fender vents or playing around with the air flow under the jeep(skid plates, etc..)?

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Add me to the list. 2019 JLUR with rhythmic vibrations at 63-65mph. I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but the vibration for me is there 90% of the time when I hit around 63mph. The other 10% of the time i can’t really notice it. I’m wondering if it is something other than the driveline. Anyone try blocking off their fender vents or playing around with the air flow under the jeep(skid plates, etc..)?
That is a possibility. I had my fender liners out while I was putting in OEM LED headlights and DRL’s and the thrumming wasn’t noticeable on a one hour drive. I put the fender liners back in when done and the thrumming is noticeable again. I would have to remove them again to be certain, but I remember when driving I was surprised that I couldn’t hear the thrumming when the liners were out.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Well, that's an interesting theory. Would the folks in europe be able to chime in?
Their rubicons have the lower front fenders which is the only different body panel.

If that's what it is, surely anyone with a european rubicon would never have heard/felt that problem.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Well, that's an interesting theory. Would the folks in europe be able to chime in?
Their rubicons have the lower front fenders which is the only different body panel.

If that's what it is, surely anyone with a european rubicon would never have heard/felt that problem.
I was talking about fender liners, not the piece that goes between the bumper and fender.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have this issue as well. 2019 JLUS. Mine seemed to have started after I installed my lift and 35’s so I figured it’s a tire balancing issue. I’ll definitely be watching this thread!

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I was talking about fender liners, not the piece that goes between the bumper and fender.
Ah but you missed my point.
It could be related to the higher front fenders on the North American Rubicons. (not that linking piece).

The fact that it's higher changes how they react to the air flow.

It's just a thought, but IF no Rubicon owner in europe has the issue, this could mean something.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ah but you missed my point.
It could be related to the higher front fenders on the North American Rubicons. (not that linking piece).

The fact that it's higher changes how they react to the air flow.

It's just a thought, but IF no Rubicon owner in europe has the issue, this could mean something.
Interesting thought, I plan to do finder chops and metal liners at some point so one would think that would either make it worse or better.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Interesting thought, I plan to do finder chops and metal liners at some point so one would think that would either make it worse or better.
On my side, the vibration has greatly reduced since the colder weather has settled in.
It would make sense if it's related to fenders humming that colder fenders are stiffer and don't flex as much.

Bigbobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Could someone try a quick test by just removing the front fenders to see if it resolves the issue?

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Could someone try a quick test by just removing the front fenders to see if it resolves the issue?
This would be awesome if it was the inner liners to fix this issue. One post said he was missing some inner fender clips and the noise was there, dealer found the missing clips, installed them and the thrumming went away. Mine has all the clips but the Thrumming is there.

Bigbobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I was not asking anyone to do anything for me, as our Jeep is not experiencing this issue. What I was trying to do, is suggest a way that someone could prove or disprove the prevalent hypothesis that this could be caused by the higher front fenders. Reactions like yours are the reasons why forums no longer provide the value they used to.
Sponsored