Rough country tailgate reinforcement

Nbshelton729

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I’d hold off from ordering for a bit. I placed my order for the RC reinforcement a couple weeks ago and it said I’d receive it in 2 days. Then found out they were on backorder and have pushed that date back twice now, with no communication unless I call. Looking to be over a month after purchase until I receive it.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’d hold off from ordering for a bit. I placed my order for the RC reinforcement a couple weeks ago and it said I’d receive it in 2 days. Then found out they were on backorder and have pushed that date back twice now, with no communication unless I call. Looking to be over a month after purchase until I receive it.
Strange...I ordered yesterday and it delivered today

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How much are you guys paying for your rough country tailgate reinforcement? Will it hold up to a 37 inch wheel/tire ?

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How much are you guys paying for your rough country tailgate reinforcement? Will it hold up to a 37 inch wheel/tire ?
I think I paid $65 for it. It’s an okay upgrade but without replacing the hinges like the Spartacus, Tyger or Mopar I don’t think it will make a substantive difference. The tailgate still “shudders” a bit when I slam it closed. That was my primary reference for what I was looking for solidifying things. The tires doesn’t shake at all and I have it on the RC relocation bracket as well. I did add extended bump stop things behind it. So it sits solid and doesn’t move when in motion. I have a 35 back there though on stock JLUR rims.

Mnsparreno

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S- Sting Gray
Occupation
Information Technology
How is everyone’s Rough Country reinforcement kit doing so far? I purchased one but haven’t installed it yet. I was thinking about how this would really help. I don’t see how this would help the weight on the tailgate.

Sponsored

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m still on the same page with my post just above this one. It can’t hurt but you really need something that replaces the hinges IMHO. I’m not sure if it’s as worthless as a placebo but I’m not sure what real value it provides.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So...how’s this working out for people? Anyone running the RC bracket with 37s?
Running 34s at the moment, but looking to the future.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
So...how’s this working out for people? Anyone running the RC bracket with 37s?
Running 34s at the moment, but looking to the future.
I Implore you to do more research, you may find this to be nothing more than a "Glam" piece.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I Implore you to do more research, you may find this to be nothing more than a "Glam" piece.
I suspected as much, that’s why I’m asking. Thanks. Do you have experience with it or just saying from pics? It looks thin and flexible to me and I question its ability to truly reinforce, but that’s why I’m asking.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I’ve got an RC as well and it’s a nice piece. Very stout feeling in my opinion.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I suspected as much, that’s why I’m asking. Thanks. Do you have experience with it or just saying from pics? It looks thin and flexible to me and I question its ability to truly reinforce, but that’s why I’m asking.
It’s not flexible at all. He has no idea WTF he’s talking about. Just BS regurgitation from other bashers. It’s not thin and is just as good at doing what the Mopar reinforcement does. I’m not the biggest fan of RC stuff but they do make a few good pieces that are worth the money.

It will not however do anything for the hinges. If you’re looking to add some heavy accessories I would say look to another source of hinge reinforcement. I run a 37 and a tailgate table and it’s just fine. I wasn’t even going to run anything but as cheap as it was, I said why not. It really does a nice job of stiffening up the door.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not flexible at all. He has no idea WTF he’s talking about. Just BS regurgitation from other bashers. It’s not thin and is just as good at doing what the Mopar reinforcement does. I’m not the biggest fan of RC stuff but they do make a few good pieces that are worth the money.

It will not however do anything for the hinges. I run a 37 and a tailgate table and it’s just fine. I wasn’t even going to run anything but as cheap as it was, I said why not. It really does a nice job of stiffening up the door.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Curious with keeping 33s and adding a Jerry can holder to right side? Enough room and rigid enough to hold 5 gallons of water?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Curious with keeping 33s and adding a Jerry can holder to right side? Enough room and rigid enough to hold 5 gallons of water?
I don't see why not. Actually the bolts are a bit long, so you could add something to them if needed.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
My guess would be that if this RC flat plate design was modeled and FEM analyzed that it would provide little added stiffness to the tailgate assuming that the factory hinges were sufficiently rigid/strong enough for the added weight of a larger tire. Some raised beads and a press bent edge would probably do wonders for the viability of this product. Not using the plastic OEM tire carrier would probably held as well.
Sponsored