Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Love this early cold morning steering. Drives like a sports car for 30 min. Turns on any steering input, no play whatsoever, and stays in lane. Love love love it.

Then the shat show begins along with two hand driving.

Maybe one day FCA will fix it until then it’s a Jeep thing.
Mine does that as well and it has the issue of pulling right even when the Wheel input is still slightly to the left. My brakes r spongy randomly as well. Does yours have more resistance one direction vs the other?. My steering wheel appears to have 1" of play after the track bar TSB work applied. It originally had over 3"of play. MY Rubi has more resistance turning left than right. Loose to the right and appears to go more in that direction. Crazy thing is i still love my Wrangler just dislike the service i receive...crazy crazy..Ill get another one or a Gladiator if this Rubi can't be fixed. Its an adventure for sure...Just and expensive Beta test lol
Sponsored

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
Fresh new video on this from [Banned Site] - note the intro video where someone taped the steering box actually moving from the frame - could this be the "play" maker?

I'll probably follow the discussion in that video as there appear to be a few that are in the process of installing or ordering it. The flexing could be why previous upgrades (LCAs, trackbars, steering boxes, etc.) didn't solve everyone's issue.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I understand that the upper end of Mopar specs is 6. The pinion angle is a consideration, but don’t know enough to be helpful.
Because the JL has a front axle disconnect, and the front driveshaft does not spin in 2H, too much caster is not an issue. Now if you are in 4H going 50mph you could possibly feel some vibration from too much caster (poor pinion angle).

N762TR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sport S 2 Door
I've had a 2020 for 3 weeks that was built late October so I assume it has all the latest parts on it. Drove fine for the first couple hundred miles and the the drift and wander started. It's not as bad as some are reporting but still not much fun to drive. Yesterday I took the steering stabilizer off and it drives perfect better then my wife's car. Anyone have any thoughts about that and any problem leaving it off permeant?

Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Wanted to share a report on my center play and wandering: PSC Overlander kit was installed (SK500). The cost for the install by my local 4x4 shop was $576, bringing my total out of pocket to fix FCA/Jeeps issue to $2560. I had to drive a bit farther today for a work meeting, so I was able to get in a solid 1.5 hours in the Jeep @ highway speeds (70-75). I was amazed of the difference. No center play, no wandering. I can actually take my hands off the wheel and she stays steady. No micro corrections required when driving on a straight stretch. I will add that this is very sensitive now. Not sure if this is because the installer adjusted caster to Jeep specs (must have missed the instructions from PSC), or the OEM stabilizer? Just for good measure, I ordered a Teraflex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 to firm this up and I think we will be spot on. I found this on Northridge4x4 for $300 using this forums discount code. Will install next week.

Am I mad that I have to do this to a $55k jeep? I am, but now I can stop fretting about something that was never going to be fixed by FCA/Jeep. Give Preston a call at PSC for your best price. Shop around first and he should be able to help out.

Good luck out there!

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Wanted to share a report on my center play and wandering: PSC Overlander kit was installed (SK500). The cost for the install by my local 4x4 shop was $576, bringing my total out of pocket to fix FCA/Jeeps issue to $2560. I had to drive a bit farther today for a work meeting, so I was able to get in a solid 1.5 hours in the Jeep @ highway speeds (70-75). I was amazed of the difference. No center play, no wandering. I can actually take my hands off the wheel and she stays steady. No micro corrections required when driving on a straight stretch. I will add that this is very sensitive now. Not sure if this is because the installer adjusted caster to Jeep specs (must have missed the instructions from PSC), or the OEM stabilizer? Just for good measure, I ordered a Teraflex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 to firm this up and I think we will be spot on. I found this on Northridge4x4 for $300 using this forums discount code. Will install next week.

Am I mad that I have to do this to a $55k jeep? I am, but now I can stop fretting about something that was never going to be fixed by FCA/Jeep. Give Preston a call at PSC for your best price. Shop around first and he should be able to help out.

Good luck out there!
Is the steering super light like the other poster mentioned? I would have expected the steering to be much heavier since its going back to hydraulic.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the steering super light like the other poster mentioned? I would have expected the steering to be much heavier since its going back to hydraulic.
Yes, very light. Very comfortable to drive, but just a tad sensitive. Hoping the firm setting on the Teraflex will make this perfect.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Yes, very light. Very comfortable to drive, but just a tad sensitive. Hoping the firm setting on the Teraflex will make this perfect.
Do you like it lighter? Id prefer a more weighted feel. I wonder if PSC can tune this to be a bit heavier.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would prefer a bit heavier and was why I ordered a teraflex adjustable (firm) stabilizer. Assuming that will do it?

Sponsored

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Someone just posted this on a FB jeep page. no idea if it means anything though but figured id still post it

IMG_4675.PNG

IMG_4676.PNG

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Good luck out there!
I’ll admit to being envious.

My Jeep still wanders and requires corrections. My husband says it’s worse than prior to the install and he hates driving it. And my kit installed all in was $3,600. :angry:

I’m done.

I started the lemon law process last night. There must be something really wrong with my Jeep.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I’ll admit to being envious.

My Jeep still wanders and requires corrections. My husband says it’s worse than prior to the install and he hates driving it. And my kit installed all in was $3,600. :angry:

I’m done.

I started the lemon law process last night. There must be something really wrong with my Jeep.
Are you going to sell the PSC kit for cheap? Might as well throw the stock gear back in.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
That was me reporting the steering was light. I had my Falcon 2.2 set to Firm and when I started driving I thought the shop set it to Soft. Nope, still on Firm, but it felt quite light to me. I wasn’t expecting that.
Sponsored