Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am likely already in this thread saying the same thing..... I don’t remember....... but, here goes.....

with so many really good options for sliders that don’t need to remove this particular bolt on the JL, I personally see no need to do so and would not purchase rails that needed removal. I am aware of pro shops that won’t either. Too much risk.

I personally encourage all manufacturers to change their designs away from this mounting option to another option that does not inject the risk of breaking these bolts.
Sponsored

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
100% agree coming from a guy who broke a bolt... white knuckle off-road mounts theirs to the frame without touching the body mount bolts. We need more of this!

I personally encourage all manufacturers to change their designs away from this mounting option to another option that does not inject the risk of breaking these bolts.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
100% agree coming from a guy who broke a bolt... white knuckle off-road mounts theirs to the frame without touching the body mount bolts. We need more of this!
As do Roam and LOD and many others. There are a LOT of mounting points to frame mount rails on a JL without using those pesky frame/body bolts. Manufacturers that are continuing to present products that use that pesky bolt are, IMO, doing a disservice to their customers and themselves.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The real problem is jeep not the mounted type armor. Now that mine is safely done I am a big proponent of them over other type mounts. If I broke mine I would say different of course. lol However I took my time and read this whole thread and got pointers that made sense and put my plan together using this and that info and it seems to work.

Mine is an 18 JL. I wonder if the newer JL's still have gobs of red locktite on them?

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought these red rock sliders/amor with step pads for cyber monday, glad I seen this thread, I've read every single post here, I'm going to call local dealers tomorrow and see of theyll It do for under $150 if not I'll see if one of my inclined inclined friends could do it for me

20191205_165746.jpg

Sponsored

scottcamps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Snapped my front passenger body mount bolt today, despite carefully breaking the friction and attempting to clear the threads by backing off then resuming it snapped. So I will be attempting to drill and extract Tuesday then if no go there, drilling through the passenger foot well. Any pics from those who had a mechanic or they went through this progressive fix?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Snapped my front passenger body mount bolt today, despite carefully breaking the friction and attempting to clear the threads by backing off then resuming it snapped. So I will be attempting to drill and extract Tuesday then if no go there, drilling through the passenger foot well. Any pics from those who had a mechanic or they went through this progressive fix?
Did you use heat in the method described.

scottcamps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Did you use heat in the method described.
Sadly no, I found the thread after the fact. Did this install on several JK's...so guess they went a little happy on the red loctight, there was a little on the driver's side but where the passenger bolt snapped there was a ton. Definitely lesson learned to research before doing any mods and not assume its a clear path laid by the jk. But Ill extract the bolt and move along to the next mod......

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I called the norco jeep dealership here in socal, they said they've never installed a rock rail before and I described to them what was involved to install it, they said probably like $280, (2 hour job) but they would have to look at the part to give me a more accurate quote .

I called other off road shops and they said $150.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took off the first bolt and it wasnt to bad but I didnt need to take these off to install my sliders :headbang:

20191214_230548.jpg

20191214_230513.jpg

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Has anyone ever broke a bolt using a impact ?

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone ever broke a bolt using a impact ?
I did not break the bolt but the nut is welded to the frame and it came loose... Had to fish it so to put the bolt in and have the bolt grab onto the nut... all is well... So my suggestion to all is use ratchet and pipe to remove... impact to much... I use impact to put it all back together...
Sponsored