IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I drove on to the beach for a couple miles prior to switching to 4H without any problems. The Jeep handled the compacted sand well, it was the areas with the soft sand that concerned me and switch to 4H. I would feel much better if I had someone out there with me that knows how to handle sand and would show me how to get unstuck as it seems to be a process.
Yeah, I'd be a tad nervous without support. I've been looking at these: https://maxtraxus.com/products/maxtrax-mkii-safety-orange/ and others like them. I think I'll get a set. Seems like a smart thing to have and they go well with the look of my rig
Sponsored

toecheese

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR MT
Occupation
Construction

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at these as well. I am going to go with a cheaper option after watching this.

Seems like they do the exact same thing, just can't use the cheaper model as a jack base.
I watched the video and it was definitely enlightening. I think my only real hang-up with the eBay boards is that they don't really nest flat on each other the way the Maxtrax or ARB boards do. The extra height on them stacked seems excessive. That said, I could get four of them on eBay for $100 less than one set of two Maxtrax/ARB boards

Ugh

UUBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; ‘95 Land Rover Defender 90

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
We have been driving on the beaches north of Corolla for at least 15 years and have had two instances where i needed 4L. The first was in a TJ off the beach when I had to turn around in very soft sand. The second in a grand cherokee when I didn't have enough momentum on a crossover into Carova. Again, sand was very soft. As soon as I spun in 4H I shifted into 4L and inched back down the crossover, back into 4H and hit the crossover with a little more momentum.

From October to April you are allowed to drive on the beaches in Corolla south of the 4x4 area. There is a ramp on Albacore Street (behind the Food Lion) and another up by the lighthouse. A couple hundred feet north of the Albacore Street ramp you may find the remains of a shipwreck, which is usually exposed by nor'easters. It is exposed now thanks to the weather a couple weeks ago.

As already discussed in the summer you need a $50 permit to park on the beach in the 4x4 area. It has indeed reduced the crowds on the beaches.

Please keep two things in mind:
1. Stay 50 feet from the wild horses. Human interaction leads them to being somewhat domesticated, more of a nuisance and can lead to removal from the beach. Never feed them.
2. Always air down!

Should any of you be reading this in the summer of 2020 and intend to park on the beach, send me a PM. As a property owner I receive two permits without fee, if the timing is right I don't have a problem lending them out.

The pic here is my one month old JLR on the Albacore Street ramp. Earlier in the week (right after the nor'easter) the ramp was more exciting due to where the surf had eroded the lower part of the ramp.

IMG_0124_Moment (2).jpg

Sponsored

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I think the South Core Banks (Cape Lookout) is closed. There were many breaches from Hurricane Dorian. Double check before you head that way.

We bought a $75 pass for Atlantic Beach. Runs Oct 1 - March 15, Been on the beach a few times. Did not air down and used 4H the entire time. The soft sand is a little tricky, have to keep moving slow and steady. I did not stop in the soft stuff. Close to the water is the packed wet sand and no problem. 2 times it was near high tide, we ran out of the wet packed sand and did not go a long way in the soft stuff. So low tide gives you more beach and room to dodge other jeeps and people. I bought a 30' strap just in case I need help or can help someone. Going to get a few surf rods and add surf fishing to our list of outdoor activities.

Deleted member 67726

I love this area of beach...I was just down here may 7th to the 15th...I go here once a year to the 4x4 section beach north of corolla...my wife's grandparents own a house right next to the Virginia border! Best beach in the world! Talk about getting away, wish I could live there most of the year!
Sponsored