Steering/Wobble/Wandering/Buyback

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently working through steering and wobble issues. 2018 JLU Sport S. 2.5" lift. Aftermarket tires and rims. 25,000 miles. So far the traction bar welds have been inspected and on 11/19/19 I had the campaign resolved for the steering dampener. I work in town and drive a total of 4 miles to work, which half is 55 mph and started noticing the wobble about a month ago. I'm about to leave work and pick it up from the dealership as they think they have 'fixed' the issue. We will see. The mechanic states that all four of my tires were severely off balance. Bought the Jeep April 2019. Tires installed about May 2019. Started with the wobble November 2019. My tires were unbalanced all that time, but I didn't experience wobble until now?? We shall see. Cross my fingers they fixed it. I will be test driving the hell out of it tonight.
Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I have had some of the same issues with my JLU Rubicon. What stabilizer and track bar did you use to fix these issues?
Teraflex Falcon 2.2, mainly because I wanted the adjustment. I had this done way before the V41 recall, and really had no issues prior or after, other than the excessive play in the wheel. Just had the updated Mopar track bar installed, fixed the excessive play. Now my Rubicon drives about the same as my daughter’s Sahara, which never had any issues.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
There are a lot of people on this forum who don't have problems that bash the people who are having problems. I love my JL but I realize that it's a ticking time bomb. Jeeps are now considered pieces of shit in my book. Don't mean i'm selling mine. But JL's are garbage. There are just too many problems cropping up and dealers are a nightmare. At this point you may as well buy a damn land rover. They are probably more reliable and at least you'll get better treatment at the dealership. I am calling it right now and saying that the Bronco will put out the fire that Jeep has had for a long time. Maybe that will force them to up their quality and stop using their extremely long cock on their loyal customer base.
No one is bashing anyone who claims to have issues, but the sad fact is there is a ton of overreaction by some on these forums, for example your quote that JLs are junk. Sorry if you feel that way, but that is a far cry from the truth. There are many people getting all excited and asking if they should cancel orders, etc. THAT is ridiculous, considering that, especially by MY2020, the issues have largely been corrected. ANY new vehicle can be prone to issues, but they are generally the exception to the norm. I’ve seen the DW term thrown around here quite a bit, and by many who had no actual clue what that condition actually described. Again, much like Facebook, people believing everything they read, taking it out of context, and blowing things out of proportion. Mind you, I fully acknowledge that there some JLs out there with issues, but your post is pure exaggeration!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am currently working through steering and wobble issues. 2018 JLU Sport S. 2.5" lift. Aftermarket tires and rims. 25,000 miles. So far the traction bar welds have been inspected and on 11/19/19 I had the campaign resolved for the steering dampener. I work in town and drive a total of 4 miles to work, which half is 55 mph and started noticing the wobble about a month ago. I'm about to leave work and pick it up from the dealership as they think they have 'fixed' the issue. We will see. The mechanic states that all four of my tires were severely off balance. Bought the Jeep April 2019. Tires installed about May 2019. Started with the wobble November 2019. My tires were unbalanced all that time, but I didn't experience wobble until now?? We shall see. Cross my fingers they fixed it. I will be test driving the hell out of it tonight.
Good luck. Hopefully it’s fixed. Let us know how it works out!

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck. Hopefully it’s fixed. Let us know how it works out!
A little history on my Jeep. Purchased April 2019. Installed 2.5” lift and aftermarket tires and rims (previously on my husband’s truck and he never had any issues with the tires) in May 2019. Experienced wobble November 2019. First time at dealership November 2019.

I was told that all four tires were extremely out of balance and they claim this caused the wobble. . My husband never had problems with the tires and rims. I have never had problems in the last 6 months. The wobble started in November. Odd. I questioned that and I was told that changes in weather can put tires out of balance. Also, I was told the bolts to the upper shocks were loose. Before we even contacted the dealer, my husband checked every bolt on the front end and did tighten one bolt.

In my 43 years, being raised around cars, I have NEVER heard of that before. Ever. I have lived in Northern Illinois my entire life. The weather can be 70’s in the morning and then snowing in the afternoon.

My husband and I test drove the Jeep. I drove my quick 4 miles drive to work - no issues. We then drove one town over (five miles away) and no issues. We shall see. I’m very sensitive to the sounds and feel of the vehicle I’m driving and I’ll be paying extra attention. Even try to hit a few bumps and see if that makes it wobble. After reading several comments on this forum, I do not feel this is the end of this issue.

Sponsored

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
Had a TJ that drove staight and pure.
Had a JK where the steering always felt a little loose, but it drove straight with no wobble.

50k later and I feel like I'm driving through that big red spot that's on Jupiter.

I think most people think it's a quirk or something. Wind whistling around the windshield is a quirk. My rear view mirror rattling is a quirk.

it's not a "jeep thing" when you feel like if you look away from the road for a second you are going to be on the wrong side of a two lane road.

I just hope the Bronco lives up to the hype so I can have an escape plan.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I'm willing to spend a few thousand on it if I can get it to drive the way it should and safely.
That's the problem, isn't it. FCA knows that we will eventually give up and spend that money on aftermarket parts. I don't mind spending a few thousand on the vehicle either, but I'd rather be spending that on a lift, 37s and a soft top. But I guess those can wait until next year.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Yes exactly and going around turns on a highway I lose the feeling in the steering wheel, over correct and now Im 1/2" from the wall or 1/2" from a car in the other lane
This was my exact same issue. I took it to the dealer a total of 3 times. They first replaced the track bar, which helped quite a bit in reducing the deadplay I also had in my steering. 2nd time, the toe was out of spec. This also helped, but the car was still tracking left and right on me on the highway. I was constantly drifting onto the right lane and coming inches from swiping cars, I'd then overcorrect and drift far left into my lane. It never seemed easy to "feel" the steering wheel. 3rd time taking it in the dealer had 4 people test drive it all saying that it drove fine for a new Wrangler, typical dealer BS. I said enough is enough, installed the Fox 2.0 ATS stabilizer myself last night right after I got it back from the dealer and left the factory adjustable setting as is at 5 out of 25. After two drives on the highway, back to my home and to work, I believe it's safe to say there is actually feel in the steering and I have yet to wander to the right lane on the highway. I will update again in a few weeks. Hope this helps if anyone is having the same issue.

I also will be sending my invoice of the Fox stabilizer to Jeep customer care and wait on a reimbursement. I will update if they reimburse or not.

I also am coming from a 97 TJ that never gave me any death wobble or steering issues whatsoever. Man I miss that car.

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Hello,

Like all of the people with wandering issues I have them too.. I went from a 2017 JKU to a 2019 JLUM - all stock. For the ones on this forum that say they don't have the problem, I hope it holds out for you.

In my experience my Jeep steered great at first - I couldn't wait to take a road trip in it.. About 2,000 miles in I left for an AZ trip from WI.. I nearly turned around an hour in to my trip because of how bad the wandering became.. It seems really specific. I too have the dead spot in the middle of the wheel. My JK was no where near this. I brought it to a dealer in KS on my trip and they checked by ball joints for looseness, said it was fine.

No wind, perfect road - seems ok
Wind, perfect road - I drive like a drunk
cruddy road - all over the place
Hit a pot hole or go over railroad tracks - I feel like I'm gonna fly off the road
Two lane country roads - scared to drive sometimes.

Went to my home dealer - they checked it and said it drove normal. I showed them the forums and they replaced my drag link - no change
Went back to the dealer - showed them the star cases and TSBs - they decided they would replace the track bar - no change - they said it drove fine after the change....and now my steering wheel is off center. (I'll fix this myself now since I have lost confidence in them that they know how to work on jeeps)

I just bought the fox racing adjustable steering stabilizer - I will get it tomorrow - and let you all know my experience..

I plan on going through and updating the track bar, drag link, and then maybe the steering box if none of that makes any difference.

I love this Jeep..but hate driving it.. I just want to enjoy driving it and take it on road trips.. The way it is now, I am really not enjoying driving it.. I like to look at it tho! :)

I'll report back in a couple days - I know some say the steering stabilizer is a band aid, but I'm curious to see if it will make a noticeable difference.

This is the one I got:
Fox Shox Factory Race Series 2.0 ATS Steering Stabilizer - 983-02-148

To update after replacing the steering stabilizer.. So I can tell the issue is still there.. with this adjustable stabilizer I can set it to loose or 25 clicks up to firm.. If I leave it set low, I can still feel the issue.. When I set it to about click 19 (which is what I like it at) the steering is so much more stable. Anyone knows with this issue that it is worse on bad roads or windy conditions, and at this point I am happy with how it feels and do not feel unsafe at this point.. I drove it at 70-80 mph on the same road I usually notice it on, and it was so much better.

But at this point as I mentioned before I know many say this is a band-aid, but I would take my jeep on a trip now with much more confidence..

I plan on replacing the track bar and drag link next - to put better parts in, as I'm thinking the Jeep parts are just not great for these vehicles.

Anyway, that is my experience so far.

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
That's the problem, isn't it. FCA knows that we will eventually give up and spend that money on aftermarket parts. I don't mind spending a few thousand on the vehicle either, but I'd rather be spending that on a lift, 37s and a soft top. But I guess those can wait until next year.

I agree with you, I'd rather spend it on something good as well. right now I just want to like driving this awesome looking truck.. Shame on FCA and the dealers for not taking this dangerous condition seriously after we spend so much money on these vehicles. I've thought about what I would replace it with and I don't want anything else other than a Jeep...so it sucks.

Sponsored

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Also just to note..

If your steering wheel is not centered...it's a super easy adjustment to make on the drag link. After the dealer replaced my track bar mine was now off, and driving me nuts.. IF, they indeed drove it after the replacement you would think they would have noticed it, or don't care.. Either way, losen a single nut, turn the adjustment by hand, and straight now! Super easy!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I finally traded in my 2018 MOAB a couple months ago for a 2019 Ford Raptor. My conclusion is that the entire design of the steering and suspension geometry is flawed and the quality of parts being used by FCA on these vehicles is sub par to other manufacturers. Seriously, $55K - $60K MSRP on these vehicles and they rattle all over after 10K miles, the steering experience is horrible, wind intrusion from the A pillar, the seats are horrible etc. Yes the off road prowess is best in class but not worth $60K just for good offroad capability. They should be better and we all who buy them should expect much better vs. just saying oh its a jeep thing. If a jeep thing is defined as poor quality and flawed designs at a very high price, i'm not up for that any longer. I had the steering damper recall done on my Moab and it made very little difference on the steering performance.

Its not an apples to apples comparison in terms of the type of vehicle, but I have to say the quality in my Ford Raptor which comes stock with 35s is so far above a jeep I have been amazed. This thing in all conditions is planted to the road and practically drives itself and has amazingly tight,stabile and responsive steering experience. And when you look at the hardware used on this truck and the steering systems etc, its so far above what my jeep was its not funny. And the prices albeit more expensive is not worlds apart, I bought a well equipped Raptor 2019 left over brand new for $65K. And biggest bonus is I have a 450 HP power plant not a piddly 250 HP V6 that sounds like its going to blow up every time you push it.

Guys sorry to rag here, but am just being honest with myself and my experiences. I love the JLU in many ways, but it can be so much better and jeep owners should expect much more from the manufacturer at this price point.
i agree with you for 60.000 my JL Rubicon should drive better. My wife is so made at me that i spent 60,000 on a jeep and after putting 37s with a 2 inch mopar lift it drives bad and pulls so bad to the right. She hates to drive it and won't. my alignment is spot on i now have to buy adjustable track bar and adjustable control arms they say for it to drive straight all because i went from a 37 12.50 to a 37 13.50 tires.she's made cause 60,000 and we dont drive it on long road trips we always drive her suburban . I had a JK for 5 yrs and not that bad but i miss my power strokes F250 and F 350s I had before. they drove great with 8 inch lifts and 40s and it was a lot better then my JL with a 2 inch lift

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Is there anyway I can get my Jl rubicon not pull to the right? i have the 2018 rubicon and the mopar lift and 37 13.50 17 cooper sst pro. when i had the nitto ridge grappler 37 12.50 17 it drove straight but now with the 13.50 its really bad. alignment is spot on and the tires don't have a radial pull. i have been told it's the 13.50 wide tire and the tread design and i have to spend money on getting a adjustable track bar and adjustable control arms. is that right ?

Deadserial

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU sting gray sport s
If it was the tires, why would the other parts make a difference when it didn’t do it with the 12.5 width? Makes no sense. Regardless, you’re probably on the cusp of needing those parts with the lift you got out of the mopar anyways. So centering the axle and adding more caster won’t hurt your situation.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
My 2018 JLU Sport S -all stock- started with loose steering, tsb helped, then to shuttering, then to full on death wobble, dampener replaced, shuttering continued, wobble returned, steering wheel lock up on turns in the cold. Dampener replaced again. Still some shuttering but now on cold mornings my steering is not responsive and hard to control.

I’ve been dealing with issues since early on and just keep pushing through with the “Jeep thing” comments. I’m at 22000 miles, The issues seem to keep growing. If I were offered a way out I’d take it. To answer the question there are lots of good ones out there, I have two friends with 18s, a sport, and a Rubi - no issues.

She’s in the shop again since last Monday. Will see what the figure out.

Well after a while in the shop they replaced the steering rack. My steering is definitely tighter, but she just drove home last night. Today should test out the cold temps here in Ohio to see if binding occurs. I also need to test her on the highway for my shuttering and wobble issues. Will keep you posted
Sponsored