Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
During my holiday travels I rented a 2019 wrangler sport. It actually drove pretty nice, like a normal vehicle should. I just don't get how some drive perfectly fine and others are a mess. Mine drives pretty good now (2018 Rubicon JLU) after I put the Dynatrac 2" sport lift and Yeti track bar on. Its still feels a little disconnected and I'm maybe at 90% of where I think it should be, and I really want that last 10%. I just don't know what to change to get that last 10%.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
what is your toe in set to? I’d run it at .5” and see if that helps. 6 degrees of caster should be plenty.
It’s at .25, which was the higher end of the Jeep spec at the time.

PSC recommends 6–7* caster. Seeing how it’s still a wandering pita, I’m going to try incremental adjustments and see how it goes. Thankfully there’s an alignment shop with a lifetime alignment plan not to far from me. I’ll adjust the caster and toe to see what works best.

Maybe the 2-doors are more sensitive to caster because the short wheelbase?

As always, I’ll post the good and bad of this adventure.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have a question about LCAs. Do longer LCAs (more caster) have a positive, negative or no impact on deadspots? I've read differing opinions. I was originally @ ~ 3" of deadspot and I now have it down to ~ 1/2".
The longer LCAs will impact the tracking (wandering), but not the dead spot or play. I put the Mopar lift LCAs on, which got me from 4.3 to 6, which helped a lot. I’m hoping the adjustable LCAs will fix the rest of the wandering issue, which is now in focus after the PSC kit.

During my holiday travels I rented a 2019 wrangler sport. It actually drove pretty nice, like a normal vehicle should. I just don't get how some drive perfectly fine and others are a mess. Mine drives pretty good now (2018 Rubicon JLU) after I put the Dynatrac 2" sport lift and Yeti track bar on. Its still feels a little disconnected and I'm maybe at 90% of where I think it should be, and I really want that last 10%. I just don't know what to change to get that last 10%.
I had a sport as a loaner and while it had around an inch of play, it drove *so much better* than my Jeep. I didn’t have to constantly think about how to drive it, if that makes sense.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
VWE said: ↑
Don’t forget to save the steering box for the person who said they wanted to analyze it!
I thought of that. I’ll ask the shop to keep the OEM unit.
Hi what was the fate of your old OEM steering box? Did anyone take a look at it and figure out if it was the main cause of your steering play?

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The longer LCAs will impact the tracking (wandering), but not the dead spot or play. I put the Mopar lift LCAs on, which got me from 4.3 to 6, which helped a lot. I’m hoping the adjustable LCAs will fix the rest of the wandering issue, which is now in focus after the PSC kit.

Are you saying your caster is at 6 now and you need more?
I am at 5.2 right now and thinking 6+ might be the answer so will also be looking for adjustable LCAs. Do you know if the MOPAR ones will get me pass 6? (or after market?)
thanks -

Sponsored

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Hi what was the fate of your old OEM steering box? Did anyone take a look at it and figure out if it was the main cause of your steering play?
My AD steering gear is in a box in my garage right now. I know someone expressed interest in taking it apart, but I’ve been so frustrated with my Jeep that I haven’t done anything about it.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Are you saying your caster is at 6 now and you need more?
I am at 5.2 right now and thinking 6+ might be the answer so will also be looking for adjustable LCAs. Do you know if the MOPAR ones will get me pass 6? (or after market?)
thanks -
Hi, I’m honestly doing a Hail Mary on these adjustable LCAs, hoping that some more caster will help.

My caster off the lot was 4.7 (I had to pull up my alignment measurements). The Mopar lift LCAs took the caster to 6.

I went that route because they cost less and I (correctly) guessed that the dealer wouldn’t know I changed them. Looking back, I wish I went with the adjustables from the start.

PSC recommends 6–7 for the caster. Going from 4.7 to 6 really helped and I’m hoping that a bit more will fix it.

I’m really at my wits end with this thing. I’m ready to ship it to the Jeep hq and set it on fire.

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software

MikeS_in_PA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Got tired of dealing with Jeep after 27k miles on my JL. At this point the warranty hasn’t done a damn thing so I broke down and tightened the steering box. Took me half hour and I couldn’t be happier. No more doable fisting the damn wheel.
I've been dealing with the wander issue and would love to know how you did it? I've been trying to get my dealer to to the "AE" steering box replacement but haven't been successful.

Sponsored

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Hi, I’m honestly doing a Hail Mary on these adjustable LCAs, hoping that some more caster will help.

My caster off the lot was 4.7 (I had to pull up my alignment measurements). The Mopar lift LCAs took the caster to 6.

I went that route because they cost less and I (correctly) guessed that the dealer wouldn’t know I changed them. Looking back, I wish I went with the adjustables from the start.

PSC recommends 6–7 for the caster. Going from 4.7 to 6 really helped and I’m hoping that a bit more will fix it.

I’m really at my wits end with this thing. I’m ready to ship it to the Jeep hq and set it on fire.
Got the Rubicon express LCA installed today , dealer doesn’t have alignment machine. Taking tomorrow to bring caster above 6.0. Quick question, do I have to worry about screwing anything else up by increasing caster above recommended 4.7?

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Love this early cold morning steering. Drives like a sports car for 30 min. Turns on any steering input, no play whatsoever, and stays in lane. Love love love it.

Then the shat show begins along with two hand driving.

Maybe one day FCA will fix it until then it’s a Jeep thing.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
My Red Rocker is in the shop right now getting the PSC Outlander (SK500) kit on it. Hoping that the steering issues are nearing the end. :fingerscrossed:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Got the Rubicon express LCA installed today , dealer doesn’t have alignment machine. Taking tomorrow to bring caster above 6.0. Quick question, do I have to worry about screwing anything else up by increasing caster above recommended 4.7?
I understand that the upper end of Mopar specs is 6. The pinion angle is a consideration, but don’t know enough to be helpful.

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw that but without having more solid info or testimonials I didn't want to pull the trigger yet. Most of their replies to questions were along the lines of "could or should help".

Fresh new video on this from [Banned Site] - note the intro video where someone taped the steering box actually moving from the frame - could this be the "play" maker?

Sponsored