Steering/Wobble/Wandering/Buyback

joshrude

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
I have a 2018 sport s and I have yet to find an issue with the steering.
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
2019 MOAB 2" Mopar lift 35's, been to the service center 5 times in under 1000 miles for serious wandering/floating issues ( NO DEATH WOBBLE). They replaced the steering box, didnt change anything. So I put in adjustable track bar and LCA with the synergy bracket. Still wanders and has a dead spot from 10-2. Im about to lose my mind. Btw this is my 4th wrangler so please dont tell me its a "Jeep Thing". Ive had a CJ-7 and 2 YJ's. None of them wandered like this at all. In fact, my cj was a pleasure to drive with a racho lift.
Would you say its comparable to this?

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
I have an '18 sport with 14k miles and 0 problems. Had a slight wobble with the stock "mail truck" base model wheels. But the moment I swapped them out with Rubicon wheel and tire take offs the wobble went away. I feel very fortunate and lucky. But, I have no choice but to come to the conclusion that JEEP Wrangler is no longer what it use to be. The JK just may very well be the last decent JEEP Wrangler. Thank god there are so many of them out there. I personally regret not buying a '18 JK simply because of the aftermarket options. It's really sad that this company has chosen to treat their VERY LOYAL base like this.

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
Jeep better get their stuff together with this new Bronco coming out. I'm thinking depending on what it looks like. Jeep is going to see a MASSIVE drop in sales.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
Will they ever fix the Steering, Wobble, and Wandering in the JL model??? I've bought the 2018 Sahara loaded, had all those issues, did the buyback in hopes that the 2019 Sahara loaded would have that resolved but apparently do NOT. I'm so close to doing another buyback and taking a shot at the 2020. Thoughts?!
My 2020 has the dead spot, no wandering or wobble though...maybe the 2021?

Sponsored

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There are fixes for all the issues. I have my steering stabilizer and track bar replaced, no issues. Buyback seems extreme.
I have had some of the same issues with my JLU Rubicon. What stabilizer and track bar did you use to fix these issues?

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
There are a lot of people on this forum who don't have problems that bash the people who are having problems. I love my JL but I realize that it's a ticking time bomb. Jeeps are now considered pieces of shit in my book. Don't mean i'm selling mine. But JL's are garbage. There are just too many problems cropping up and dealers are a nightmare. At this point you may as well buy a damn land rover. They are probably more reliable and at least you'll get better treatment at the dealership. I am calling it right now and saying that the Bronco will put out the fire that Jeep has had for a long time. Maybe that will force them to up their quality and stop using their extremely long cock on their loyal customer base.

Farrish1237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB JLU
2019 MOAB 2" Mopar lift 35's, been to the service center 5 times in under 1000 miles for serious wandering/floating issues ( NO DEATH WOBBLE). They replaced the steering box, didnt change anything. So I put in adjustable track bar and LCA with the synergy bracket. Still wanders and has a dead spot from 10-2. Im about to lose my mind. Btw this is my 4th wrangler so please dont tell me its a "Jeep Thing". Ive had a CJ-7 and 2 YJ's. None of them wandered like this at all. In fact, my cj was a pleasure to drive with a racho lift.
Karl-
I have the close to the same set up with my '19 MOAB and have no issues now. I am running the SS track bar (and got the front axle centered after the lift) and had the V41 recall done. Steers fine now. Put on the Fox steering stabilizer and relocation kit to get that out of harms way. Have you got a second opinion from another dealer near you? Have you placed a call to Jeep Care? Keep us posted on the outcome!

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I finally traded in my 2018 MOAB a couple months ago for a 2019 Ford Raptor. My conclusion is that the entire design of the steering and suspension geometry is flawed and the quality of parts being used by FCA on these vehicles is sub par to other manufacturers. Seriously, $55K - $60K MSRP on these vehicles and they rattle all over after 10K miles, the steering experience is horrible, wind intrusion from the A pillar, the seats are horrible etc. Yes the off road prowess is best in class but not worth $60K just for good offroad capability. They should be better and we all who buy them should expect much better vs. just saying oh its a jeep thing. If a jeep thing is defined as poor quality and flawed designs at a very high price, i'm not up for that any longer. I had the steering damper recall done on my Moab and it made very little difference on the steering performance.

Its not an apples to apples comparison in terms of the type of vehicle, but I have to say the quality in my Ford Raptor which comes stock with 35s is so far above a jeep I have been amazed. This thing in all conditions is planted to the road and practically drives itself and has amazingly tight,stabile and responsive steering experience. And when you look at the hardware used on this truck and the steering systems etc, its so far above what my jeep was its not funny. And the prices albeit more expensive is not worlds apart, I bought a well equipped Raptor 2019 left over brand new for $65K. And biggest bonus is I have a 450 HP power plant not a piddly 250 HP V6 that sounds like its going to blow up every time you push it.

Guys sorry to rag here, but am just being honest with myself and my experiences. I love the JLU in many ways, but it can be so much better and jeep owners should expect much more from the manufacturer at this price point.
I am one of the many faithful Jeep Wrangler owners, and have been for roughly 40 years. It is not just a small issue to those of you that do not it, Like mentioned "a dealer buyback seems extreme" After spending the money on a Rubicon $50k+ Constantly having drive ability issues, total unpredictable steering due to wandering and DW
Numerous trips to the dealer to have a problem fixed that supposedly does not exist that is claimed to be a jeep thing? I guess it`s a Jeep thing to re flash the computer several times, replace the track arm, replace several steering stabilizers and replace 2 steering box`s and still have a problem that is considered to be a Jeep thing??
I really don`t think many new Jeep owners would be happy about having to go through all of this not to mention the time and effort that you have to put into it just to get them to even try and fix it and the amount of time that you are without your Jeep. I know what to expect from a Wrangler, water leaks, rattles, noise, cheap stock parts in some cases. I don`t expect my Jeep to have steering issues right from the start, and have to put up with a service manager who`s telling me that a Rubicon is not designed to run 35" tires, but the big poster in the showroom and all information regarding running 35" tires is coming straight from the manufacture.
I do miss my Wrangler, I do like my new Raptor, you can`t compare them, and I would not even try to. Two different animals for two different reasons, I just wish that Jeep would own up to their problems and handle them accordingly. I did not ask for a new Jeep, I asked for my Jeep to drive like it was new

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Hello,

Like all of the people with wandering issues I have them too.. I went from a 2017 JKU to a 2019 JLUM - all stock. For the ones on this forum that say they don't have the problem, I hope it holds out for you.

In my experience my Jeep steered great at first - I couldn't wait to take a road trip in it.. About 2,000 miles in I left for an AZ trip from WI.. I nearly turned around an hour in to my trip because of how bad the wandering became.. It seems really specific. I too have the dead spot in the middle of the wheel. My JK was no where near this. I brought it to a dealer in KS on my trip and they checked by ball joints for looseness, said it was fine.

No wind, perfect road - seems ok
Wind, perfect road - I drive like a drunk
cruddy road - all over the place
Hit a pot hole or go over railroad tracks - I feel like I'm gonna fly off the road
Two lane country roads - scared to drive sometimes.

Went to my home dealer - they checked it and said it drove normal. I showed them the forums and they replaced my drag link - no change
Went back to the dealer - showed them the star cases and TSBs - they decided they would replace the track bar - no change - they said it drove fine after the change....and now my steering wheel is off center. (I'll fix this myself now since I have lost confidence in them that they know how to work on jeeps)

I just bought the fox racing adjustable steering stabilizer - I will get it tomorrow - and let you all know my experience..

I plan on going through and updating the track bar, drag link, and then maybe the steering box if none of that makes any difference.

I love this Jeep..but hate driving it.. I just want to enjoy driving it and take it on road trips.. The way it is now, I am really not enjoying driving it.. I like to look at it tho! :)

I'll report back in a couple days - I know some say the steering stabilizer is a band aid, but I'm curious to see if it will make a noticeable difference.

This is the one I got:
Fox Shox Factory Race Series 2.0 ATS Steering Stabilizer - 983-02-148

Sponsored

Karl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.goempowergroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB
Occupation
Self Employed
Would you say its comparable to this?

Yes exactly and going around turns on a highway I lose the feeling in the steering wheel, over correct and now Im 1/2" from the wall or 1/2" from a car in the other lane

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Yes exactly and going around turns on a highway I lose the feeling in the steering wheel, over correct and now Im 1/2" from the wall or 1/2" from a car in the other lane

Yep... Mine is the same way.. Can barely look at the GPS or grab my coffee without feeling like I'm going out of my lane.. It's dangerous!

I don't want to have to spend money on a brand new jeep...but I don't think the dealers are willing to acknowledge the issue. And even if they do, can only replace them with the same cruddy jeep parts that are failing in the first place.. It's the only vehicle I want to own.. I'm willing to spend a few thousand on it if I can get it to drive the way it should and safely.

I would never let a family member or someone that isn't expecting this to drive my jeep.. My JK was perfect! this is NOT normal.

Elusive YETI

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
For the most part my steering is solid on my 2019 JLUR but I have had multiple instances where the Jeep would jerk like someone framed the wheel. Also if there is Abe wind I need to constantly juggle the wheel to stay in my lane.
It’s not as bad as the videos I see. My wheel is more stable but I know I’ll need a solution soon. It’s scared me several times when it just jerks like something grabbed the wheel.

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
Just took video of my steering while going to get some breakfast.
Question: do you see this as "death wander" or normal? (Yes, I understand this is showing you deadspot but it's one in the same, I'll do a highway vid later of "wander")
FWIW To answer your question - no that does not look normal to me. My 2018 JLUS does not have steering play like that (with the Jeep tracking straight as it appears to be in your video) - it drives completely fine, nice and tight steering like a 'normal' car. There certainly seems to be wide variation in the steering performance of these JLs, which is a shame. I feel for the folks with issues.

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
mine is minor but still annoying, the recall helped a little. Getting a Taraflex Falcon 2.2 and hope it resolves the rest... we’ll see
Sponsored