Sponsored

Any Pics of OWL Camera with Jeep Steep Windshield Mount?

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Looks great. Do you have any example video or photos that shows how much of the dash is in the frame?

My video export on my computer isn't behaving at the moment, but here is a still image.
Sponsored

JryanPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Quick question for those with the Owl and Raven cam's, what is the mounting mechanism for the actual camera's? Would they mount to a 67 designs rail system? https://www.67d.com/collections/jl-bases-and-options I have the rail system and I'm looking for a dash cam that will mount to it and don't want to just use a GoPro.

Would be really helpful if you could post pics of the mount port's on the camera's. Thanks!

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
I almost went with the Owl. My biggest fear on it, was that it would entice theft due to it it sticking up so much on a Jeep. I went with a raven cam instead. It almost looks OEM. So blends in better.

FF737925-A8A9-48FC-83FC-E26501E86C85.jpeg
This looks great! Do you know if it gathers MPH data from your OBDII port or via GPS? The reason being, is that I have 35" tires installed and need accurate MPH, but the speedo is not calibrated, and not planning on calibrating.

Are you paying for the subscription or using it as stand-alone?

Thanks!!

Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
This looks great! Do you know if it gathers MPH data from your OBDII port or via GPS? The reason being, is that I have 35" tires installed and need accurate MPH, but the speedo is not calibrated, and not planning on calibrating.

Are you paying for the subscription or using it as stand-alone?

Thanks!!

From the ODB unfortunately. I wondered the same thing. I am paying for the sub. I love the whole setup.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post a picture from outside of the windshield and side window to display the visibility of that mounting position to prospective thieves?
I'm on a roadtrip in Death Valley at the moment but will try to get some pics posted.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I did not like the steep windshield mount. It must be for the JK as I found with the slight angle of the JL windshield it makes the mount awkward. It’s also HUGE and no where good to put it without blocking a lot of window.

The standard owl mount seemed to work better on the JL.

However with that said I decided to hack apart the steep windshield mount and use part of it to make a more custom solution that is lower profile. Below is what i came up with. I ran the wire through the dash and used owls OBD splitter to power it and keep my OBD port free.

Also I covered up owls annoying green LED that flashes to make it more discreet.

FE7739FF-624C-490A-8FAA-831D27CD1FA4.jpeg

E3089973-DDAF-4DC8-A411-9F202DA81AB5.jpeg
Well I changed my mind on my original set up... my hot glue solution turned out to be a fail since running my defroster in a snow storm for a 6 hour drive caused it to melt and fall off :facepalm:

I went back to the drawing board and tried a few things:

1) Tried the Raven cam... didn't like it, the camera quality is considerably worse than Owl, the connectivity over cellular to view remotely is considerably worse and less reliable, and the biggest issue for me is you can only view "tagged" videos in the app... to view video of your entire drive you have to pull the SD card or hook up Raven to a computer, vs on Owl you can review an entire drive wirelessly

2) Came up with a different way to mount my Owl, here's what I did:

- Took the magnet out of Owl's windshield mount (just the little round part)
- Glued a washer to the bottom of the magnet to give it a bigger surface area
- Painted the whole thing black
- Used 3M adhesive to stick it as far up as I could on the windshield, it's holding so far, we'll see when the weather warms up
- I used my decal machine to cut a decal to cover up the Owl logo on the front
- Cut another decal to cover the screen since you can't black it out
- Used a screw cover to black out/cover up the stupid green LED
- Mounted Owl upside down... yeah it's not as nice since the videos need to be flipped when exported
- Also on the interior the mirror obviously blocks some of the camera, but you still get the driver's face and out the back window clearly
- So far this is more discrete to me and I like this better

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.41.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.40.52 AM.png

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
656E07E4-9F3B-40C7-A80D-71B3DD304367.jpeg
Great! I’ll do something similar

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Well I changed my mind on my original set up... my hot glue solution turned out to be a fail since running my defroster in a snow storm for a 6 hour drive caused it to melt and fall off :facepalm:

I went back to the drawing board and tried a few things:

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg
Can you share vectors of the decals? I'll appreciate!

Sponsored

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Here's another option in case anyone is tracking this thread. I tried cutting with a Dremel as well, but gave myself a little more of the mount to play with. Stuck it to the top of the Vector Offroad rail. Trying it now with a command strip to see if the position works. If it does, I'll mount it with "permanent" 3M tape. Now that I'm looking at @paulr's solution, I may just try and take the hardware out but mount in the same place.
20190622_222504.jpg
20190622_222513.jpg
20190622_222523.jpg

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Learned some stuff today so I thought I would post here:
- The vertical windshield mount actually has two magnets stuck together inside the housing. I'm assuming this is deliberate, but if you're taking them out to glue or stick somewhere, you don't need both, just the one.
- The "Steelie" product for the back of your phone will also dock the cam very nicely. The piece that is supposed to stick to the back of your phone case becomes the mount for the cam.
- If you are going to use the OEM magnet by itself (cut out of the bracket) and need to stick it to something, the 3m double sided pad which ships with the "Spigen Ring Pop" for smartphones fits perfectly and is thin enough that it doesn't wobble.

The android app for this product really is rubbish. Downloading clips is next to impossible. The "share" feature doesn't give an option to just download the clip to your phone. If you try to create a custom clip from "history" there is a button to save the clip, which it says it does, but doesn't appear to be on the phone anywhere. Also super awesome that there's no support forum - just these kindergarten level blog posts. Save your money.

Last edited:

PoloJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Got my first ever Jeep. 2020 STING GREY Rubicon. The insurance company said they'll knock off a good amount if I have a dash cam installed. Landing me here. The owl setup had been the biggest pain in the butt due to our windshields and dash.

as it's my first jeep, cost a pretty damn penny, and i'm a neat freak i wanted to install to look good.

At first i attempted to modify the included mount, i was going to buy a steep window mount but the website is not showing it for purchase.
I attempted to rig it onto a gopro mount and the idea was to use the 3M sticky mount to hold it all down.

Painted to entire thing black and did the install. didn't work. so back to the drawing board. I was going to try doing something with just the magnet from the mount but then noticed that the camera fits perfect on the dash without the mount , it actually sits flush on the dash just needed to secure it. For my first test i used some none heavy duty double sided foam 3m strips cut down and trimmed and painted black on the sides.

so far so good. pics here : https://imgur.com/a/CZDc35P
Sponsored