Sponsored

Anything to know when taking your JL to an automatic carwash?

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
Drain Plugs: REMOVE THEM

imagesX4W1KIYH.jpg
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was just wondering if there is anything to know when taking the JL to an automatic carwash. I believe I read something where I have to take the car out of Drive and put it in Park, then take it from 2WD and move that to Neutral. Is that the case?

Can I just not throw the car in Nuetral and leave it in 2WD?

Thanks in advanced.
Run mine through all the time! I'm off on the trails getting dirty, and getting too lazy to wash mine by hand. Anyhow, just run it through, slip it in neutral when the attendant says so, just move the lever one notch up and your good. When exiting, I slightly, and quickly throw my foot on the brake pedal so I can flip it back in D. No fuss, no muss.

FYI, I'm lifted, with 35x12'5s and don't care if my wheels fit or not, Just don't. But I found that the tracks seem wide enough to take 35's with no problems. Stubby antenna is the best too!

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I run mine through the auto wash and no issues. It was a little unsettling running it it through with the brushes as I prefer the “touch less” more but that was down at the time. The stock antenna whips fierce into the
body from the brush wash and it’s MUCH louder than the “touch less”.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Got it, so for my needs, I will just remove the attena and turn the mirrors in.

Thanks all!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Got it, so for my needs, I will just remove the attena and turn the mirrors in.

Thanks all!
Welcome but I can't stress enough you will regret doing this if you have a black Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I have a grey Jeep. But why would I regret it? Does it scratch it up?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a grey Jeep. But why would I regret it? Does it scratch it up?
Black is the absolute worst. Yes, those car washes scratch your Jeep, they are fine scratches but scratches none the less. Black (especially in the sun) will show those scratches VERY easy. The metallic colors hide those scratches very well as does white. The darker the non-metallic color the easier it is to see the scratches. Sting Grey would be much better than black.
Don't EVER go to one of those self wash car washes and use those brushes. You might as well use sandpaper on your Jeep. I've talked to guys who own detail businesses and they don't even like the touchless car washes because they reuse water and have to filter it which means you will never get it pure again.
I have run our black Jeep through a car wash a few times and it NEVER gets everywhere. It won't get where the fenders meet the side, it barley gets the back and many other little spots.
Again, black is the worst for showing all of this. Regarding the paint it's death by 1,000 paper cuts. A black Jeep run through a carwash every week and one washed by hand will look different at the end of the year guaranteed.
Here's the irony... I will wash by hand to keep the paint as good as possible but we've pin striped the heck out of it on the trails :)

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Black is the absolute worst. Yes, those car washes scratch your Jeep, they are fine scratches but scratches none the less. Black (especially in the sun) will show those scratches VERY easy. The metallic colors hide those scratches very well as does white. The darker the non-metallic color the easier it is to see the scratches. Sting Grey would be much better than black.
Don't EVER go to one of those self wash car washes and use those brushes. You might as well use sandpaper on your Jeep. I've talked to guys who own detail businesses and they don't even like the touchless car washes because they reuse water and have to filter it which means you will never get it pure again.
I have run our black Jeep through a car wash a few times and it NEVER gets everywhere. It won't get where the fenders meet the side, it barley gets the back and many other little spots.
Again, black is the worst for showing all of this. Regarding the paint it's death by 1,000 paper cuts. A black Jeep run through a carwash every week and one washed by hand will look different at the end of the year guaranteed.
Here's the irony... I will wash by hand to keep the paint as good as possible but we've pin striped the heck out of it on the trails :)
Agree 100%. My wife's gray Trailhawk paint looks horrible in the sun due to the micro-scratches from car washes. My new Rubi exterior is hosed off after a trail and hand-wiped on the inside. If I feel like cleaning it more thoroughly, after hosing it off, I get a bucket with water and some no-rinse soap and in 5 minutes the exterior looks like new. For me, rinsing it off and a quick go over with a rag takes less time than driving to the car wash. And I know that my soft top and my paint are safer this way.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome but I can't stress enough you will regret doing this if you have a black Jeep.
Mike, I have a black Jeep, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. But I have a really weird situation here. The car wash I use, by some miracle, doesn't scratch my Jeep, and it gets it pretty darn clean too! It's a newer car wash. I wonder if they are engineering them better now?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Those scratches in the clear coat can be buffed out. Not hard but can take time, i have about 30hrs in my Trans Am when i restored the paint. Now i take the time to wash my cars the correct way. A bit time consuming but my paint stays swirl free and i really enjoy doing it myself.

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Close by we have a car wash that runs the vehicle through on a conveyor but there are attendants stationed inside. No auto scrubbers or flapping belts. I drive it through myself and I shift it into N for the ride. Before you enter the tunnel there is a guy that scrubs the bugs off the grill and windshield, then he runs a high-pressure wand around the lower body and wheels. Once entering the tunnel it goes through a curtain of soapy water, then 2 guys stationed inside hand wash the vehicle with mits, and that's followed with a curtain rinse and those high-powered blow driers. Lastly, you drive it out to a bay and they wipe it down to get any film that was missed and dry the vehicle. All for $8 and a tip. However, I haven't taken the Jeep through it yet because I'm afraid of the bug scrubbers they use and their effect on the grill paint and headlamps.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i took my soft top granite JLUS through a conveyor belt car wash. no real issues except it did a mediocre job of actually cleaning the vehicle.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I was just wondering if there is anything to know when taking the JL to an automatic carwash. I believe I read something where I have to take the car out of Drive and put it in Park, then take it from 2WD and move that to Neutral. Is that the case?

Can I just not throw the car in Nuetral and leave it in 2WD?

Thanks in advanced.
I have my Sahara in Full time 4wd, I do nothing. Neutral and foot off brake. Like any other vehicle. Personally, I NEVER go through automatic washes WITHOUT brushes of any kind. Just auto spray only.
Sponsored