Sponsored

Steering/Wobble/Wandering/Buyback

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
My 2018 Sport S, with Rubi suspension, wheels/tires, has been flawless, for over 10,000 miles. Maybe you should stay away from the Sahara model. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, well..... that's on you".
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I finally traded in my 2018 MOAB a couple months ago for a 2019 Ford Raptor. My conclusion is that the entire design of the steering and suspension geometry is flawed and the quality of parts being used by FCA on these vehicles is sub par to other manufacturers. Seriously, $55K - $60K MSRP on these vehicles and they rattle all over after 10K miles, the steering experience is horrible, wind intrusion from the A pillar, the seats are horrible etc. Yes the off road prowess is best in class but not worth $60K just for good offroad capability. They should be better and we all who buy them should expect much better vs. just saying oh its a jeep thing. If a jeep thing is defined as poor quality and flawed designs at a very high price, i'm not up for that any longer. I had the steering damper recall done on my Moab and it made very little difference on the steering performance.

Its not an apples to apples comparison in terms of the type of vehicle, but I have to say the quality in my Ford Raptor which comes stock with 35s is so far above a jeep I have been amazed. This thing in all conditions is planted to the road and practically drives itself and has amazingly tight,stabile and responsive steering experience. And when you look at the hardware used on this truck and the steering systems etc, its so far above what my jeep was its not funny. And the prices albeit more expensive is not worlds apart, I bought a well equipped Raptor 2019 left over brand new for $65K. And biggest bonus is I have a 450 HP power plant not a piddly 250 HP V6 that sounds like its going to blow up every time you push it.

Guys sorry to rag here, but am just being honest with myself and my experiences. I love the JLU in many ways, but it can be so much better and jeep owners should expect much more from the manufacturer at this price point.
....like trading in your boat because you couldn't get the hang of docking it. High performance handling requires high performance operation.

Jeep is an off road machine, not a G Wagon.

Good luck and have fun with your "Raptor" lol. I'm sure you'll look way cooler in it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I finally traded in my 2018 MOAB a couple months ago for a 2019 Ford Raptor. My conclusion is that the entire design of the steering and suspension geometry is flawed and the quality of parts being used by FCA on these vehicles is sub par to other manufacturers. Seriously, $55K - $60K MSRP on these vehicles and they rattle all over after 10K miles, the steering experience is horrible, wind intrusion from the A pillar, the seats are horrible etc. Yes the off road prowess is best in class but not worth $60K just for good offroad capability. They should be better and we all who buy them should expect much better vs. just saying oh its a jeep thing. If a jeep thing is defined as poor quality and flawed designs at a very high price, i'm not up for that any longer. I had the steering damper recall done on my Moab and it made very little difference on the steering performance.

Its not an apples to apples comparison in terms of the type of vehicle, but I have to say the quality in my Ford Raptor which comes stock with 35s is so far above a jeep I have been amazed. This thing in all conditions is planted to the road and practically drives itself and has amazingly tight,stabile and responsive steering experience. And when you look at the hardware used on this truck and the steering systems etc, its so far above what my jeep was its not funny. And the prices albeit more expensive is not worlds apart, I bought a well equipped Raptor 2019 left over brand new for $65K. And biggest bonus is I have a 450 HP power plant not a piddly 250 HP V6 that sounds like its going to blow up every time you push it.

Guys sorry to rag here, but am just being honest with myself and my experiences. I love the JLU in many ways, but it can be so much better and jeep owners should expect much more from the manufacturer at this price point.
You need to remove the MOAB from your profile:asshat:

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
I am going to take the high road here on comments by KnG818, simply sharing my experiences. I don't get the boat analogy though maybe another Jeep thing I don't understand.. Never had any issues docking my Formula 34 PC..... And to each is own, if you prefer a vehicle that requires $15K in mods to make it right and how you want it after already paying a premium for it, have at it, its just not my thing.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I am going to take the high road here on comments by KnG818, simply sharing my experiences. I don't get the boat analogy though maybe another Jeep thing I don't understand.. Never had any issues docking my Formula 34 PC..... And to each is own, if you prefer a vehicle that requires $15K in mods to make it right and how you want it after already paying a premium for it, have at it, its just not my thing.
But they don't. Some people have problems, yes. But by far and large, most don't. It's ok to not be "your thing". Personally, I'll never own another fucked over rebuilt Dodge. I've had too many bad experiences. Not ragging on FORD, just sharing my personal experience. Hmm, maybe I should get on the Ford forum and share:idea:

Sponsored

n2jeep

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Will they ever fix the Steering, Wobble, and Wandering in the JL model??? I've bought the 2018 Sahara loaded, had all those issues, did the buyback in hopes that the 2019 Sahara loaded would have that resolved but apparently do NOT. I'm so close to doing another buyback and taking a shot at the 2020. Thoughts?!
I just bought a 2020 3 weeks ago. It drove great stock, steering feels good.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
Brandy, to each his/her own. I have had Ford, Dodge, GMC, Jeep products, each has pros and cons and their highs and lows and I agree with you, not everyone but rather a smaller percentage of new jeep owners are likely having these issues. For those that don't, that great. I am just not willing to accept any longer. Does anyone here really think that a steering wheel cocked off to left at 10 o'clock when driving straight down the road and supposedly in full correct alignment and steering wheel aligned is a normal driving experience ? Its not and I'm not going spend $15K in mods to fix it. Or hearing the wind whistle loudly through your A Pillar and freedom panel seams..... I am happy for those that are having a great experience, unfortunately mine was not.... luck of the draw.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
And sorry, I still don't get the Boat analogy. Never had a problem manuevering and docking my Formula 34 PC with 8.1 HO V Drives. Very high quality boat experience.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
And btw, nowhere here am I bashing Jeep. Kn - look at the Thread name here.... if you are not having any of these issues, then why are you all over this thread like a hawk ? Steering/wobbling/Wondering/Buyback - I simply shared my experiences for the benefit of those who are also struggling with similar problems, and I can tell you its no fun when you drop $55K in coin and have what are way way more severe issues than what are normal quirks of the brand. Its a huge dissappointment for those of us who have unfortunately gotten the down side experience.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Brandy, to each his/her own. I have had Ford, Dodge, GMC, Jeep products, each has pros and cons and their highs and lows and I agree with you, not everyone but rather a smaller percentage of new jeep owners are likely having these issues. For those that don't, that great. I am just not willing to accept any longer. Does anyone here really think that a steering wheel cocked off to left at 10 o'clock when driving straight down the road and supposedly in full correct alignment and steering wheel aligned is a normal driving experience ? Its not and I'm not going spend $15K in mods to fix it. Or hearing the wind whistle loudly through your A Pillar and freedom panel seams..... I am happy for those that are having a great experience, unfortunately mine was not.... luck of the draw.
Lol. You need a 15mm wrench and about 2 minutes to fix that.

Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
You need to remove the MOAB from your profile:asshat:
The dude bought a FORD, and apparently overpaid when he bought his Jeep, too. Enough said. Are there some steering issues in a few of the Jeeps? Sure. But much like Facebook does for other issues, I think these forums have dramatically overplayed them, and some people are just regurgitating the things they hear, regardless of whether or not they have truly experienced themselves.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
And sorry, I still don't get the Boat analogy. Never had a problem manuevering and docking my Formula 34 PC with 8.1 HO V Drives. Very high quality boat experience.
Lol. Should we be impressed? Your true character is starting to shine.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Brothers - letā€™s chill and not take offense when itā€™s probably not intended. He loves his Raptor - more power to him. We enjoy the heck out of our Jeeps, lumps and all. This sounds cliche, but half the joy Iā€™m having with the Jeep is modding the crap out of it and improving things where I can. I had a Mercedes GL550 once - as cushy as it was and trouble free - my wife and I disliked it quite a bit and sold it. We love our rough and tumble Jeep with the solid axles and go anywhere (slowly) capability. I love the raptors too, but I have more use out of the Jeep for my family and our hobbies. I hope this doesnā€™t get flagged as BS, but my colleague at work just returned his ā€˜19 raptor under lemon law. Engine trolls and electronic goblins that dealer hasnā€™t been able to fix. Probably uncommon, bc I havenā€™t heard many other stories like that. But truly nothing perfect, and I agree that Jeep issues are probably overblown. I have an 18 Rubicon. My steering has always been just fine, but did the recall / upgrade anyway. I do have issues with the Uconnect (intermittent drop off audio) and a buzzy / muffled speaker issue for which there exists a tsb. Hoping to get these both fixed at the dealership, Iā€™ve sat on the issue for a year. My experience with the dealership has been just okay...they did render my cb radio uninstalled and laying in the floor after fixing my loose parking brake. Which they eagerly rectified. Happy thanksgiving to all of you!!

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Arenā€™t the odds of a single customer have two vehicles that qualify for buybacks almost astronomical? Late model build JLUR 2018 here btw.......flawless.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Iā€™ve owned 2 JLs and both had a wander issue... for about 500 miles. I didnā€™t adjust anything, not even tire pressure. But around the 500 mark, everything drives right. I drive about 100 miles a day.

Now, I canā€™t speak for every situation- but I also believe there is a factor of the driver. I see a lot of posts about ā€œI finally bought my first Jeep and...ā€. They donā€™t drive like sports cars. My wifeā€™s RAV4 drives different than her prior CRV. Itā€™s all in getting used to it and knowing limits. Frankly, I enjoy the Jeep more than the Rav (just that pesky deal with gas mileage).

To the poster that is comparing the Raptor: a) you sold your Jeep and still go on jeep boards? Weird.

b) if anyone put 15k+ back into a Jeep- it will be greatly upgraded. Same rule for literally anything on the road. And I bet that there are boards where Raptor owners are saying ā€œI spent 65k on this and I canā€™t believe this doesnā€™t work/drives this way/doesnā€™t have/etcā€

The JLs arenā€™t perfect. But neither was any wrangler. Neither was any motorcycle... car... truck... but we buy what we want, modify, complain, enjoy.
Sponsored