Rubicon vs sport suspension height?

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
After riding on the 35’s a few months how is your set up? Any scraping on or off road?
I am thinking of doing the same set up. I’m wondering if the 1.5 inch spacers were enough for full articulation with the 35’s. Would 0.5 inch spacers be enough?
So far I am still very happy with this set up. A real lift kit would be better, but for the money this is great and I am in no hurry to change anything. The 35in Toyo AT2s have been great on the road, but I have not done any serious off roading. I hooked up with a local jeep club so I should be able to get on some trails soon. On road driving I have had no rubbing at all. This is with 9in wide 5in backspacing wheels.

James

20191020_175712.jpg
Sponsored

BlackoutJLU

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have a 2019 JLU Sport. I recently purchased JLU Rubicon Hardtop shocks and springs for it. The Stock front and rear springs on mine are
And the Rubicon take offs are

Given how close in number the stock and Rubi front springs are, do you think I will get much lift in the front? Do you think I need 0.5 inch leveling spacers?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 JLU Sport. I recently purchased JLU Rubicon Hardtop shocks and springs for it. The Stock front and rear springs on mine are
And the Rubicon take offs are

Given how close in number the stock and Rubi front springs are, do you think I will get much lift in the front? Do you think I need 0.5 inch leveling spacers?
You could hold out for better Rubicon takeoff springs I suppose. You're really getting nothing much up front. I wonder why your front springs are a number higher than mine.
Here are my numbers for comparison. Mine is a manual Sport S with Hardtop, Tow package, Dana 44 in rear going to Rubicon with same.

Original:
Rubicon:

I got about 1-1/2" front and back. Also added 3/4" Daystar spacer lift

after.jpg

BlackoutJLU

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could hold out for better Rubicon takeoff springs I suppose. You're really getting nothing much up front. I wonder why your front springs are a number higher than mine.
Here are my numbers for comparison. Mine is a manual Sport S with Hardtop, Tow package, Dana 44 in rear going to Rubicon with same.

Original:
Rubicon:

I got about 1-1/2" front and back. Also added 3/4" Daystar spacer lift

after.jpg
Maybe the auto transmission on mine called for a slight different spring.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cant remember my numbers, but they were pretty close to what I already had on my sport s and I still got about 1.5in from the Rubicon springs and shocks.

Sponsored

BlackoutJLU

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cant remember my numbers, but they were pretty close to what I already had on my sport s and I still got about 1.5in from the Rubicon springs and shocks.
Good to know. Thanks for the additional information. I think I’ll give these a shot and see what I get.

Last edited:

NickM

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL SPort S
Read all 15 pages tonight because I just picked up my Rubi springs, shocks, control arms and track bar.

I am looking for confirmation that I DO NOT need to change the control arms and track bar, only shocks and springs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shocks and springs are all that are needed. Lower control arms from the mopar lift are a cheap way to get some castor back after adding the Rubicon parts, but not required.

NickM

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL SPort S
Thank you for that confirmation. When I have an alignment done will there be enough caster with stock parts?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thank you for that confirmation. When I have an alignment done will there be enough caster with stock parts?
Rubicons have pretty low caster. It should be fine but if you feel like you have excessive wandering you can address it with longer/adjustable LCAs.

Sponsored

NickM

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL SPort S
Rubicons have pretty low caster. It should be fine but if you feel like you have excessive wandering you can address it with longer/adjustable LCAs.
when I did this to my 07 JK I had the front aligned but I always thought it felt a bit twitchy at highway speeds. I’ll be more conscious of caster this time around.

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
After reading through all 15 pages, I want to double check my plan as well. 2018 JLU Sport and my buddy is giving me his Rubicon Suspension.

1. For the control arms, is it just the front that it is recommended to lengthen?

2. Do I need to worry about the spring perches / isolators or are they all the same?

Btw, my reason for installing these parts is to be able to run 35" tires and have a bit more clearance. It'll be a while before I work my way into doing any super duper flexy, but I hit some trails where I scrape over crests and things like that, so I'm ready for the next baby step.

Thanks!!
-Brian

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
After reading through all 15 pages, I want to double check my plan as well. 2018 JLU Sport and my buddy is giving me his Rubicon Suspension.

1. For the control arms, is it just the front that it is recommended to lengthen?

2. Do I need to worry about the spring perches / isolators or are they all the same?

Btw, my reason for installing these parts is to be able to run 35" tires and have a bit more clearance. It'll be a while before I work my way into doing any super duper flexy, but I hit some trails where I scrape over crests and things like that, so I'm ready for the next baby step.

Thanks!!
-Brian
1. Yes, just the front lower control arms. You should loosen all control arm bolts (upper, lower, front, and rear) and re-torque on the ground after installing the lift. There are people that say this isn't necessary. If you don't, then your bushings won't be in a neutral position and could fail prematurely.
2. No need to worry about perches/isolators.

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
1. Yes, just the front lower control arms. You should loosen all control arm bolts (upper, lower, front, and rear) and re-torque on the ground after installing the lift. There are people that say this isn't necessary. If you don't, then your bushings won't be in a neutral position and could fail prematurely.
2. No need to worry about perches/isolators.
Thank You for confirming. I ended up ordering the longer LCA's from the Mopar lift because they are so cheap, as well.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thank You for confirming. I ended up ordering the longer LCA's from the Mopar lift because they are so cheap, as well.
You'll be glad I think. Well, not when you're torqueing those bolts :) but later.
Sponsored