Identify what lift I have....

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I bought my '19 JLUR from somebody who works at the dealer, and he put a Rough Country lift kit on it, along with most of the aftermarket stuff on the Jeep today. I spoke with him today, and he mentioned it was the "smallest suspension kit available" and told me the shop that installed it. I spoke with them but they couldn't give me much information and said they'll look for more and call me back. He mentioned it was probably a 3.5" lift but that was just a guess.

A few questions:

How can I tell what size lift kit? I have Rough Country N3 shocks...but....it still has the factory coils. The shop that installed it said "that doesn't sound right" but that's all I have to go on. I wanted to put some new Falcon 3.3 piggyback shocks and wanted to be sure I know what size to purchase.

Any issues with keeping the factory coils with the lift or should I just purchase a full lift kit and have it installed so I know exactly what's under there?
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I bought my '19 JLUR from somebody who works at the dealer, and he put a Rough Country lift kit on it, along with most of the aftermarket stuff on the Jeep today. I spoke with him today, and he mentioned it was the "smallest suspension kit available" and told me the shop that installed it. I spoke with them but they couldn't give me much information and said they'll look for more and call me back. He mentioned it was probably a 3.5" lift but that was just a guess.

A few questions:

How can I tell what size lift kit? I have Rough Country N3 shocks...but....it still has the factory coils. The shop that installed it said "that doesn't sound right" but that's all I have to go on. I wanted to put some new Falcon 3.3 piggyback shocks and wanted to be sure I know what size to purchase.

Any issues with keeping the factory coils with the lift or should I just purchase a full lift kit and have it installed so I know exactly what's under there?
If you have the factory coils are there some huge spacers in there? Are the control arms factory? Something doesn't add up.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure there are spacers but I don't think so. Here's a picture of the driver's front

20191127_123902.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the rear, which I also learned has airbags cause the original owner was going to tow a boat.....

20191127_123943.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after looking some more, I'm thinking they just installed a body lift kit on there and put on new shocks. Can anybody confirm? It looks like a puck in there to me.

20191127_132252.jpg

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So after looking some more, I'm thinking they just installed a body lift kit on there and put on new shocks. Can anybody confirm? It looks like a puck in there to me.

20191127_132252.jpg
You have a rough country spacer lift. Probably 2.5”

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Rear looks like an airbag or a helper spring. Id remove it if youre not towing

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rear looks like an airbag or a helper spring. Id remove it if youre not towing
Definitely an airbag in there according to my conversation with the previous owner. It'll be removed when I put a new suspension kit on

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
There’s a lot going on that I’d suggest addressing before spending a considerable amount of money on 3.3s.

I’ll start with my first recommendation and that’s scraping the 3.3 shocks and instead using that money to buy a lift that’s addressing everything. One of my favorite at the sub 2k price point is the MC true dual. It’ll replace all 4 coils, 4 shocks, 4 sway bars and associated hardware for bump stops and also front and rear track bars. For caster correction, it has 2 upper control arms. You can add the other 6 down the road if you’d like to upgrade the lift or order the game changer off the bat. I’ll say this lift will ride better than what you have with 3.3s and give you excellent performance and flex.

If you’re 100% sold on the 3.3s, I’d start by just ordering a teraflex lift and be sure the 3.3s are the sp2 so you have a chance for a tolerable ride. The spacers in the front are not ideal, they will limit your flex substantially and the airbags in the rear will diminish the ride and aren’t necessary unless you’re planning on towing. Getting a proper lift will increase the drivability substantially too

Brett

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s a lot going on that I’d suggest addressing before spending a considerable amount of money on 3.3s.

I’ll start with my first recommendation and that’s scraping the 3.3 shocks and instead using that money to buy a lift that’s addressing everything. One of my favorite at the sub 2k price point is the MC true dual. It’ll replace all 4 coils, 4 shocks, 4 sway bars and associated hardware for bump stops and also front and rear track bars. For caster correction, it has 2 upper control arms. You can add the other 6 down the road if you’d like to upgrade the lift or order the game changer off the bat. I’ll say this lift will ride better than what you have with 3.3s and give you excellent performance and flex.

If you’re 100% sold on the 3.3s, I’d start by just ordering a teraflex lift and be sure the 3.3s are the sp2 so you have a chance for a tolerable ride. The spacers in the front are not ideal, they will limit your flex substantially and the airbags in the rear will diminish the ride and aren’t necessary unless you’re planning on towing. Getting a proper lift will increase the drivability substantially too

Brett
Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing, get rid of the Rough Country stuff installed now and go for a full suspension kit. Would you recommend I just get the rocksport shocks with that MC kit? I'm not 100% sold on the Falcon's but thought it would nice to have something adjustable as this is my DD (although I hardly drive anywhere).

Last edited:

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
All you have is a spacer lift on the stock springs and I'm assuming longer shocks.

I guess it depends on what you're going to do with it, mall crawl or rock climb. Why do you want replace the shocks? Is there something you don't like with the ride or handling? The stock arms are kind of limiting when it come to articulating off road. Plus, just swapping for different shocks is a crap shoot as you have no idea if they will play nice with the stock springs. (the valving of the shocks should be matched to the spring rate / type of spring). To get the best performing setup it's always best to go with a complete kit with matching components. If funding is an issue then there are many partial kits available that can be upgraded later without having to replace parts you already installed.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So do you think I have just the spring spacer kit or both the body lift and this one?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing, get rid of the Rough Country stuff installed now and go for a full suspension kit. Would you recommend I just get the rocksport shocks with that MC kit? I'm not 100% sold on the Falcon's but thought it would nice to have something adjustable as this is my DD (although I hardly drive anywhere).
I would absolutely recommend the rocksports over the 3.3s. I personally don’t care for them because of the way they ride. They are to harsh for my liking. If you’re wanting a premium shock, check out getting some custom valved ones from accutune or another company that builds custom shock packages.

Brett
Sponsored