Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Anyone in the 570/Central PA area with a JLU with the PSC Overland (SK500) steering installed? I would really like to feel the difference before I take the final steps to convince myself.
Feel free to drive on down to Lexington and you can drive mine.
Sponsored

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Got tired of dealing with Jeep after 27k miles on my JL. At this point the warranty hasn’t done a damn thing so I broke down and tightened the steering box. Took me half hour and I couldn’t be happier. No more doable fisting the damn wheel.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I picked up my Jeep this afternoon! :like:

The play is gone! When I turn the wheel the Jeep moves. Imagine that. It drove so much better on the freeway and it was an incredibly windy day.

I’m so happy to finally have my Jeep back. I love this thing.

One thing that I didn’t expect was that the steering felt lighter. I have the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer on the firm setting and had to get out and check it because I thought they put it on soft. Interesting.

It’s been a busy and very stressful day. I just drove it to the grocery store and home. I’m going to drive it more this week and will post more thoughts and observations.

PS: labor was 11 hours because they had to remove the bumper and winch (which is quite a pita), so my labor cost was $1,100.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The play is gone! When I turn the wheel the Jeep moves. Imagine that. It drove so much better on the freeway and it was an incredibly windy day.

One thing that I didn’t expect was that the steering felt lighter. I have the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer on the firm setting and had to get out and check it because I thought they put it on soft. Interesting.

It’s been a busy and very stressful day. I just drove it to the grocery store and home. I’m going to drive it more this week and will post more thoughts and observations.

PS: labor was 11 hours because they had to remove the bumper and winch (which is quite a pita), so my labor cost was $1,100.
Glad it turned out for you. I knew labor would be more. Not sure if it was you or another guy posting on here that he was quote like $600 for labor I told him to get that in writing. My installer said the same thing that it was not all that easy. Small places and lots to remove to just get to the places needed. PSC told him 8 hrs. That is what he quoted and charged me but he said it told him more like 11 as well.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Been following this thread from the beginning. I've test driven 3 JLs over the last three years: a 2018 JLUR Rubicon in early spring 2018, and two 2020 JL sports in the past few months. Neither 3 have had steering issues. I'm helping a buddy shop for Jeeps and I'm coming along as I tend to know my away around a Jeep and I've been really hoping for both of our sake we experience one with the steering issue to really see what it's like. All three have been good. I did notice a slight difference in the two recent 2020 JLs but there are so many factors that can contribute to that I'm not even going to speculate. Side note, the 2.0L turbo in the 2020 is a little rocket ship in the 2 doors!

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive

Amazing news @RagTopDeluxe. I will be calling my 4x4 shop this morning to validate if the cost is set, or variable.

Question - is the Falcon stabilizer needed for anything particular with this issue?

Keep us posted as the week progresses with your experience. Thanks!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amazing news @RagTopDeluxe. I will be calling my 4x4 shop this morning to validate if the cost is set, or variable.

Question - is the Falcon stabilizer needed for anything particular with this issue?

Keep us posted as the week progresses with your experience. Thanks!
I did the Fox SS and I do not think it is necessary. You could run the stock one. The PSC fixes all issues by itself.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Having aftermarket parts fix what Jeep should have is crazy to me. 3G is a lot of money on top of a way over priced product that has way to many cheap sub par quality Chinese and Mexican made parts to begin with. I have a case number now and i refuse to fix their F UP.. If i do replace the steering Bs with the $2300 kit i've just gave FCA a free Pass to not fix their problems. That doesn't send the right message or encourage FCA to find and fix a product we all paid dang good $ for. I know i wont fix it even tho I and many others know how too.

Even tho i totally love Wranglers i wont put up with a Service Queen for long. My Wrangler has been in and out of service way more than my Tahoe was. Difference is that Chevy Service and the Dealer were great to me and went above and Beyond to fix things. Not once was i told nothing was wrong or that wandering and Loose steering was a Tahoe thing. They even paid me back for some repairs i had outa warranty..Guess Customer service is a Chevy thang....Don't get me wrong tho My Tahoe was in the shop alot the first year i owned it.. It is also the reason i no longer own it.

What all of the Dealers of The Jeep brand seem to do is treat customers like Sh!t and claim its normal and a Jeep thang....BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS..My 2019 Wrangler Drives Like a worn out High Mile Turd. And now i have a soft brake pedal and at Redlights or inclines the pedal slowly goes to the floor. Its slow to go down but it does. It also randomly gets hard as a brick then back to spongy.. I have a 12k mile wandering pulling to the right 55k turd thats lost 10k on the Book already.. Fun times...Sorry for the rant But I have to take my Turd back for the 7th time..2nd time for brakes..6x for wandering loose steering and now turning Right is Loose and Left hand turns Steering is tight..Wooohooo!

Sponsored

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited

Hi Rag Top Deluxe,

Congrats on getting your loose steering fixed, take no offense in what I'm about to say.......You're CRAZY spending that kind of money to fix a defective steering system due to FCA's negligence. But seriously, glad you like it and the steering is doing what it should have done from day one......operate SAFELY!!!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Rag Top Deluxe,

Congrats on getting your loose steering fixed, take no offense in what I'm about to say.......You're CRAZY spending that kind of money to fix a defective steering system due to FCA's negligence. But seriously, glad you like it and the steering is doing what it should have done from day one......operate SAFELY!!!
I did the same. I would actually say all these other people are CRAZY for spending days and days dealing with dealerships, FCA, Jeep Cares, and all this money in rentals, other parts masking the problem, lawyers and some parking their rigs while trying to get something fixed that can be done in a day and $3K. People are spending 4X that in other mods. I justified it as a mod and now I can enjoy what is actually an amazing rig, driving wonderfully down the road and NOT handling like a "Jeep thing".

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Why am I even considering going down this "self fix" rabbit hole? I have read all the details of all that have tried to get addressed, only to waist their time and in some cases make their Jeep worse off. My journey is just beginning with an initial trip to the dealer for a wandering complaint while I was there for another accessory install. I was given the typical information that what I described was how the Jeep was designed to ride like. They even showed a write up on the electrical steering system and how it changes depending on speed, hence the play. I got the sense they didn't even look at it.

Fast forward to reporting to Jeep cares and getting a case opened. This took about two weeks for phone tag to be over, messages left and ultimately hearing today that my dealer was finally contacted. They told Jeep Cares that they went over the vehicle to ensure all was within specs and took it for a test drive and it drove as it should. My Jeep Cares agent then told me that there was an opening in next week with a loaner for them to look at it again. I can see this going in the same pattern as others on this page and I do not have the time for it.

I love my Rubicon with the exception of the steering and the front defroster. I could wait and hope for a solution from FCA, but when have they ever come through prior on major design flaws like this? Remember, this JL is on it's 3rd year...... you would think things would be flushed out by now.

I am making my mind up this week after talking to my mechanics tomorrow (the ones that quoted me $540 to install the SK500), and if they state they are in at that amount, I am 99% sure I am all in.

Just my 2cents.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Get your tissues ready because I’m going to spoil the ending of this for you all.

FCA is not going to fix your steering. Ever. Sorry. That’s not how this has ever worked. It’s cheaper to settle 100,000 lawsuits than it is to replace everyone’s steering system.

So you have three options: 1) increase your BP meds and pray you don’t have an aneurism dealing with the chimps at the dealership, 2) fix the steering yourself, 3) become a mid-tier social media influencer and wait for FCA to send you a new car with better steering.

I commend the people who recognize the value of their time and choose to end their aggravation.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I did the same. I would actually say all these other people are CRAZY for spending days and days dealing with dealerships, FCA, Jeep Cares, and all this money in rentals, other parts masking the problem, lawyers and some parking their rigs while trying to get something fixed that can be done in a day and $3K. People are spending 4X that in other mods. I justified it as a mod and now I can enjoy what is actually an amazing rig, driving wonderfully down the road and NOT handling like a "Jeep thing".
Anyone heard if they plan on a kit for the 2.0?
Sponsored