Filling space between fenders and body

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I tried the tubing and wasn’t really happy with it. Felt like I was putting too much force on the fender to get the tubing in. Second drive down the interstate one of the pieces came loose and was slapping the front door/fender area. I may try it again but it wasn’t a great solution for me. It’s one of those YMMV things, IMO.
Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Got anything made of plastic or at least coated in something soft? I’d hate to gouge the paint myself while removing rocks so that rocks don’t gouge the paint.
Those little cans of plastidip or whatever are pretty handy at times like this

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I buy what they call non-marring tweezers from amazon, or as someone has already mentioned, toothpicks.
I need something long, I’ve got one stuck way down in the deep part of the front fender.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I need something long, I’ve got one stuck way down in the deep part of the front fender.
Me too, I got reflective tape coming off the labels on my roof rack from a car wash that some how was shoved deep into the fender gap that I have not managed to get out yet...

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the tubing and wasn’t really happy with it. Felt like I was putting too much force on the fender to get the tubing in. Second drive down the interstate one of the pieces came loose and was slapping the front door/fender area. I may try it again but it wasn’t a great solution for me. It’s one of those YMMV things, IMO.

What's are the rest of you seeing for longevity with the tubing? Highway drivers, particularly.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Old credit card or something like it works. A friend uses bamboo skewers. They are like stronger, longer, toothpicks.
I used bamboo skewers as well. Easy, cheap, and effective mod!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's are the rest of you seeing for longevity with the tubing? Highway drivers, particularly.
No issue here thus far. 3 months in and it still looks brand new. Would be worth it even if it deteriorated after a year. Would simply replace. Mine have been solid. No flapping around, which is an indicator of installation error rather than product error. No offense...

EDIT - 26 November 2019:
Now a year in and the tubing did begin to deteriorate a bit and really sink too far into the gaps to be fully effective. I'm still a big proponent for this type of mod, but see a few posts down and I've replaced this tubing with different but similar material that I feel works much better. Keep reading below for details!

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've had mine for over 6000 miles and no issues. Much easier to keep rocks out. Great idea.

If I win those Metalcloak front fenders, this will no longer be an issue however. :fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, a year in and I am no longer satisfied with this mod.

Basically the issue is that especially in the rear, the fender gap eventually "ate" the tubing material, whereby it worked itself so far down in the crevice that it was no longer doing its job effectively. Here are pics illustrating that:
Welt 2.jpg
Welt 3.jpg

As you can see (or not see), the welting is barely visible in the rear.

Anyway, I set out to look for another solution and found it in .38in SOLID core tubing seal.
https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Rubber-Tubing-Seal-Diameter-206/dp/B00NL4D6SK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2A2WP5XMY36CX&keywords=trim-lok+rubber+tubing+seal+.276+outside+diameter&qid=1574794598&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=trim-lok+rubber+tub,aps,184&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOE5XUzZSTzUyMVQwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDcxNTM3M1BZMVUwWUswOEFGTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTgxOTMzMVNRVkFPVTNHVzNWRiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

What I like about this was #1, it is a little thicker, thus protecting from larger size debris getting caught in the gap. Secondly, the solid core means it deforms far less and will stay put. In other words, it will be impossible for the rear fender gap to "eat it" to the point that it no longer works. On top of all that, I really like the look, but that of course is personal opinion. It just looks beefy and cool to me. As an added bonus, 25 feet of the stuff (enough for all fenders with some left over) is a little over $4 bucks cheaper than the smaller, but more well known hollow stuff.

Anyway, here are the results:

Welt 5.jpg

Welt 6.jpg

Welt 7.jpg

Welt 8.jpg

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer: this post has no intellectual value.

I fill my gaps up with dirt and debris, then pressure-wash it out.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Just boosting this back up for others. I returned my tubing after trying to get it to sit in the gap and it getting sucked in immediately and ordered this solid core cord and it works MUCH better. thanks for the link !

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, the hollow core stuff will eventually get drawn down so far into the gap that it becomes ineffective. I've heard of some using the .25 solid core, but even though it won't compress like the .27 hollow stuff, at .25, its really too small of a diameter to provide much useful protection. I'm on the .38 solid core since November 2019 now and I'm still very pleased with the results and quality of the material. It has not so much as cracked or discolored in all this time!
Sponsored

Last edited: