Sponsored

Lifelong wrangler driver. Considering jumping ship...

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Really? First i've heard of the source of the problem being identified. Does this apply to all JL and JLU Jeeps? Thanks and if you could post a link where we can read more about this discovery.
Uh, if you think the death wobble is caused by an air leak well........on that same note, I don't think many people who claim they have "death wobble" actually have it or understand what it is.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Don't get me wrong, I love Wranglers. I've only ever driven wranglers. This 2019 JL sahara was the first time I purchased a brand new one. All of my previous wranglers were either used when I purchased or leased. I was excited to be able to modify it and make it my own. My purchase price was right around 50k and I've maybe put $7k of mods (lift, tires, etc). I'm happy with the outcome and look of my jeep. I am getting slightly annoyed, however, with the little things that keep "going wrong" that I have to get checked out:

1) My climate control doesn't work properly, and during the winter its either all the way hot or all the way cold. No in between. Doesnt bother me as much during summer, because I usually just blast the AC on lowest temp.

2) I have a rattle that I think may be coming from the track of my Sky one touch top that nobody can seem to figure out.

3) A plastic piece that holds the floor flap thing in place in the back snapped off when I was dragging out something heavy from the back, now it wont stay in place.

4) And just in the past few weeks (now that it's colder) I have been experiencing serious "death wobble" when I hit bumps. And not just at highway speeds, but in-town. And it doesn't stop when I slow down. My steering wheel violently shakes for like 10 seconds when I hit a bump with my left tires. It was so bad today that I had to pull over in traffic before it stopped.

I just feel that for a $50K+ vehicle, I shouldnt be having this many issues. I know I'm going to get reamed with trade in value and basically lose most of the money Ive spent in modifying this thing, but I can't deal with being in the dealership this frequently.

My other "dream car" is a MB G550, but its always been out of my price range. However, maybe you get what you pay for?
First off, everything but the death wobble is nit picking!! Our vehicles are modular, by nature they are prone to squeaks and rattles not seen in any other vehicle. Having a vehicle that pretty much comes apart with a T50 and expecting it not to have these little issues is like having your cake and eating too. The death wobble needs to be resolved immediately!!, but I’ve never heard of death wobble not stopping as the vehicle slows down.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Don't get me wrong, I love Wranglers. I've only ever driven wranglers. This 2019 JL sahara was the first time I purchased a brand new one. All of my previous wranglers were either used when I purchased or leased. I was excited to be able to modify it and make it my own. My purchase price was right around 50k and I've maybe put $7k of mods (lift, tires, etc). I'm happy with the outcome and look of my jeep. I am getting slightly annoyed, however, with the little things that keep "going wrong" that I have to get checked out:

1) My climate control doesn't work properly, and during the winter its either all the way hot or all the way cold. No in between. Doesnt bother me as much during summer, because I usually just blast the AC on lowest temp.

2) I have a rattle that I think may be coming from the track of my Sky one touch top that nobody can seem to figure out.

3) A plastic piece that holds the floor flap thing in place in the back snapped off when I was dragging out something heavy from the back, now it wont stay in place.

4) And just in the past few weeks (now that it's colder) I have been experiencing serious "death wobble" when I hit bumps. And not just at highway speeds, but in-town. And it doesn't stop when I slow down. My steering wheel violently shakes for like 10 seconds when I hit a bump with my left tires. It was so bad today that I had to pull over in traffic before it stopped.

I just feel that for a $50K+ vehicle, I shouldnt be having this many issues. I know I'm going to get reamed with trade in value and basically lose most of the money Ive spent in modifying this thing, but I can't deal with being in the dealership this frequently.

My other "dream car" is a MB G550, but its always been out of my price range. However, maybe you get what you pay for?
If the dealer installed your lift I’m not surprised you have death wobble. Did you have everything torque checked after a couple 100 mile driving with the new lift?? If the answer is no l, do it ASAP!!! I lost the the nut on my rear lower control arm because I didn’t check it either, fortunately the bump stop extension kept the bolt from walking all the way out. I can almost guarantee there is a loose fastener that once tightened to spec will solve your death wobble. Your Jl is beautiful, don’t trade it, you’ll regret it. I live with all the minor imperfections because I love my Rubi that much!

DB82BC18-73A3-43F0-A23A-542F79595EB2.jpeg

9A3E082D-D4BA-4870-92CE-060F17B4FFA8.jpeg

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I`m glad to hear that it is just a seal that was causing my DW and wandering issues. You think that after 2 new steering box`s, new track arm, re-flashing the computer several times, several steering stabilizers, several alignments etc. etc. and converting all of the steering components over to top shelf products and still having wandering issues on a 2018 JLUR Rubicon with stock suspension and factory tires and wheels. Never had a issue like this on any Jeep Wrangler that I have owned weather it be stock or modified. Most don`t realize that on the JL`s there is input from the computer to the steering that is causing issues, Thanks lane assist!
It`s not only about spending over $50k for a Jeep, it`s a safety issue. It`s a feeling of not having control over your steering and wondering what`s going to happen next.
It`s a pain in the as* having to explain everything over and over to the service manager, technician working on it, sales person, twenty plus calls to Jeep cares, boat load of emails to everyone involved, hours calls back and forth to the dealer and Jeep, having to drop off your Jeep off to be repaired and it not being repaired. Being told like a child that "It`s a Jeep thing" Numerous calls to component manufactures to get their input, Thanks to, Steer Smarts, JKS, Terraflex, FOX, Dana, PSC Steering, EVO,Manufacturing, Rock Krawler, AEV, And so many others for taking the time to help, explain, try to resolve the issue.not to mention countless hours swapping out components I wish that Jeep/FCA would pick up the phone and make some calls. Several of the mentioned manufactures had even bid on the contracts to manufacture steering components for Jeep
So all of the above kind of takes away from the "fun" of owning a Jeep and leaves a bad taste in your mouth about owning another one. First time in 4 decades of not owning a Wrangler and I do miss it. Every vehicle is prone to have problems and there is no way around it, does not matter who the manufacture is. After time certain vehicles are known for their specific problems. But to deny that there is any problem, yet randomly replace expensive components to fix a problem that is not there is just plain sad. Sorry for the rant but I got stung hard and several times.......

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
Some good advice on here regarding death wobble. I think its been said, but re-torque all the bolts in the suspension, and consider upgrading your tie-rods & drag link. Here is a link to a video on how one guy did it (its Eddie, from [Banned Site] - hope that doesn't piss anyone off):
https://[Banned Site]/showthread.ph...-Duty-Tie-Rod-Drag-Link-Stabilizer-Relocation

You could also check out this link from quadratec - maybe you learn something, maybe you don't:
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/jeep-death-wobble-how-to-fix

Regarding replacing your Jeep with a Toyota:

(1) The 4runner is really solid and well-made. I just got one for my wife and I've been driving it a lot. It runs quiet compared to a Wrangler, and feels very well-built. It has more room inside than a JLU. Being quieter, more roomy, and feeling more solid is largely due to the fact that the top doesn't come off, and partly due to being made in their Japanese plant - which has really good quality control. How much the removable top matters to you - is entirely up to you. The 4runner platform is old, and so it is super-reliable; however, the downside to being old is that you have a 5-speed auto that is outdated compared to the slick 8-speed in the Wrangler. However, if you want to drop an extra $8,000, you can get a dealer-installed supercharger that boosts HP and Torque by 30-35% (a Magnuson, I believe). I think the supercharger would make the limitations of the 5-speed transmission irrelevant. We will get one some day... There is no manual transmission available in the 4runner - a huge win for the Wrangler (in my book). Most 4runners come with a manual transfer case (which I will take over a dial every day of the week). I hate the dial for shifting into 4-wheel drive, but most people seem to prefer it. With Independent Front Suspension (IFS), a 4runner will not give you death wobble. The downside of IFS, of course, is that it won't flex nearly as well as a Wrangler. Keeping wheels on the ground off-road is generally a big plus ;) Be honest with your off-roading needs to decide how much a solid front axle matters to you. Lastly, modding a 4runner is more expensive than modding a Wrangler, and if you want 35s, you are looking at a lot of work, and an expensive rear bumper to carry your spare. Unmodded, the 4runner is a solid reliable vehicle and I'm glad my girl is driving one, but it will never make you smile the way driving a Wrangler will.

(2) The 3rd Gen Tacoma (2016-present) is my least favorite Tacoma. Gone is the reliable 4.0 liter V6 (still found in the 4runner), and in its place is a 3.5 liter V6, which has good power over 3500 rpm, but is a turd at lower rpms. I drive a manual, and it still sucks ass for torque at lower rpm. It moves pretty good on the highway when I can always keep it in its power band, but it really lacks power going up hill at lower speeds. People seem to be pretty unhappy with the auto transmission, but are getting good results from aftermarket tunes provided by Orange Virus. The truck really needs to be regeared - even with stock tires. You cannot get a 3rd Gen Tacoma with a manual transfer case, and the dial feels cheap, and I really dislike it. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend a 3rd Gen Tacoma. If you drive an auto, and don't want your Jeep, and you are looking at trucks, step up to a Ford F-150 and get WAY more truck for your money. There are three great engine options, depending on your needs/wants: the 2.7 ecoboost is a rocket, the 3.5 ecoboost is a beast, and there is a naturally aspirated 5.0 liter V8 that doesn't give you the crazy grunt of the twin-turbo ecoboost engines right off the line, and it needs to be revved to find its power, but its an American V8. Boom. If you want a midsize truck, check out the Ranger, which has a pretty punchy 2.3 ecoboost that makes better power and torque than the Tacoma (and won't lose power at elevation).

In my opinion (which doesn't mean jack) you should trouble-shoot your death wobble and hang on to the Wrangler - unless you are really just looking for a reason to get rid of it. In which case, stop looking for a reason, and just trade it in on something that works better for you - you don't have to justify your decision to anyone. Death wobble can be fixed without spending crazy money, but don't pretend that a steering stabilizer is your solution - that's mostly just a bandaid, and may mask a legit problem that you need to resolve.

Good luck!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
Dear moderator: sorry about mentioning the banned site.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
The "Death Wobble" has been discovered to be a bad seal. There is a factory fix for it. The seal is prone to leak air, and when it happens it can set up a resonance. Replacing the cylinder fixes it right away. (Have not had to do that, but it does seem to happen more when colder.)
This guy is the cause of death wobble ? I dont believe it !

seal.gif

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Maybe he can return you the favor and give you a lift home someday when your Jeep is in the garage :)
I would just as soon walk!

mmcbeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I’m back in a Wrangler after a lot of years. Hard to drive without a grin on my face. The only other vehicle I have ever owned that even came close was a 2007 Hummer H3, I still haven’t forgiven GM for killing the brand.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Are sport s models with no mods suffering from death wooble? Or is the percentage much less? Do bigger tires make death wooble more likely? I ask because this site owners 80% own rubis with big lifts and 35+ tires. I would love to know what are people running with deathwooble problems.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are sport s models with no mods suffering from death wooble? Or is the percentage much less? Do bigger tires make death wooble more likely? I ask because this site owners 80% own rubis with big lifts and 35+ tires. I would love to know what are people running with deathwooble problems.
While lifts and bigger tires can definitely amplify the problem and make it more prevalent, a stock sport can have the same issues that lead to death wobble. A quality lift actually replaces some of the parts that could be causing the issues.
Sponsored