Sponsored

I wish my Jeep had...

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Sliding window Link to vid cool idea would like it to look more Factory! the corners come in to much and don't really follow the hardtop lines...
Do they latch on the inside? Can't tell from the video.
Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
My Jeep is currently on the train so I can’t speak from experience, but I wish there was an easier way to load my kayak on the soft top without having to drill holes to install a big boxy looking cage. Not “Jeep specific” (I know), but this is the one thing I can’t seem to figure out, and it bugs the snot out of me. My Jeep will go off road, but it will also go to the lake, bike park, camping, etc.

Auto up (or is it down?) windows would be nice too.

And for the serious off-roaders, a compressor would be awesome (my old Van had one, fer crying out loud), and a front camera for those times when all you see is sky. Spotters are always good to have, but it sure would be nice to have some sight too!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
My Jeep is currently on the train so I can’t speak from experience, but I wish there was an easier way to load my kayak on the soft top without having to drill holes to install a big boxy looking cage. Not “Jeep specific” (I know), but this is the one thing I can’t seem to figure out, and it bugs the snot out of me. My Jeep will go off road, but it will also go to the lake, bike park, camping, etc.

Auto up (or is it down?) windows would be nice too.

And for the serious off-roaders, a compressor would be awesome (my old Van had one, fer crying out loud), and a front camera for those times when all you see is sky. Spotters are always good to have, but it sure would be nice to have some sight too!
Kayak on the soft top?

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Kayak on the soft top?
I get what they mean. I have the same probably with not having a way to mount surfboards/snowboards to a soft top. Unfortunately, the answer seems to be a rack (or inside the jeep for my boards).

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I get what they mean. I have the same probably with not having a way to mount surfboards/snowboards to a soft top. Unfortunately, the answer seems to be a rack (or inside the jeep for my boards).
Yeah. I have both a kayak and a SUP. I HATE the idea of a permanent rack (I think they look silly when the top is off, and they’re a pain in the rear to install/uninstall twice a year when swapping the hard/soft top), but there doesn’t seem to be any other way to mount them to a soft top. Most of my water sports are done when my kids are in school from April to June when the ice first melts off the lakes (and no motor boats!), so I’m forced to stick with the hardtop right through until July. In the summer months I would just take my husbands truck, but I would much rather take the Jeep.

Mountain biking isn’t AS big of a problem, but I’m still struggling with a good bike rack that works with the spare. I think I need a hitch extender?

I’m super outdoorsy, but my idea of off-roading mostly happens when I geocache the FSR’s and explore the backroads looking for hidden lakes (often a day trip). Jeeps don’t make that very easy to do if you have a soft top.

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
...or a utility trailer?
I have a Quadratec Cargo tray that plugs into my hitch that I have used with my snowboards inside a waterproof bag. The problem with that is that it gets all the slush covering it, so if the board wasn't in the bag it would be disgusting. The tray wouldn't work with surfboards and I'm not sure if it would work with a utility trailer...

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mountain biking isn’t AS big of a problem, but I’m still struggling with a good bike rack that works with the spare. I think I need a hitch extender?
I have a Saris 4 bike rack which I can fit four bikes even with the spare tire back there. Check it out.

Sponsored

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’ve considered that. If I did go that route, I would build a DIY off-roading (overlanding) style trailer similar to this one. (Screenshot from TrailRecon’s latest video.)

779B63F4-94EF-42D4-ABC3-A745E678F094.png
That is pretty cool! Might be overkill for snowboards/surfboards but might be great for camping gear. Thanks for sharing!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
You're right. And it might solve this problem of mine.
Getting back on topic, I also wish Jeeps had more securable storage space. I started a thread somewhere about this and didn’t get a lot of suggestions aside from the Tuffy security deck. It’s fantastic for people who never use more than half the storage space, but I need to be able to do what you’ve done in your pictures once and a while (like for camping), and I only need a lockable something for my emergency gear bag (or even just general shopping in the summer!) so I can leave the top down/off and not worry about someone reaching in and stealing my stuff.

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Getting back on topic, I also wish Jeeps had more securable storage space. I started a thread somewhere about this and didn’t get a lot of suggestions aside from the Tuffy security deck. It’s fantastic for people who never use more than half the storage space, but I need to be able to do what you’ve done in your pictures once and a while (like for camping), and I only need a lockable something for my emergency gear bag (or even just general shopping in the summer!) so I can leave the top down/off and not worry about someone reaching in and stealing my stuff.
I have a tuffy lockbox on the inside of my tailgate. It’s not huge but I can lock my work computer or my kids iPads, anything of that nature pretty securely. Doesn’t store anything large though.
Sponsored