Sponsored

Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Time and hassle is better than getting screwed by a dealer AND you know it's done right...
Ain't that the truth. I had a dealer change my diff fluid and the "tech" didn't put the plug in all the way. I drove 100 miles away and saw smoke billowing out behind my Jeep and pulled over to take a look and found diff fluid all over the back of my Jeep in a fine mist. I looked under and it was leaking out my diff and burning off my exhaust. What a fun experience that was.
Sponsored

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
A 3/8 socket a drain pan and gear oil. I’m 73
And do my own. 30 min.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
gotta remember theyre gonna charge you about 140 an hour and probably about 3 hours labor plus oil. and if you have the limited slip there is an additive for the clutch plates. it is extremely high for what the job is but thats the dealer for you. might as well just get an oil pan and 4 qts of gear oil
3 hours to change diff fluid?!?!?! Yeah if my 2 year old grandson was doing it. It takes all of 20 mins per axle and that's being generous.
$75 for 5 qts Lucas full synthetic off of Amazon and a $5 oil pan in your garage is all you need.

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
Your dealer is “high!”

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Remember, if you decide to change the diff fluid yourself ALWAYS remove the fill plug first. If you remove the drain plug first then find out you can't remove the fill plug you're screwed.
Good advice. But there are options (though not easy). You can turn the Jeep upside down or on it's side (like I did here with my Samurai - it's a lot easier to do maintenance on the bottom side this way), or jack up the vehicle on one side and remove an axle shaft and fill specified quantity.

But yeah, remove the fill plug first, including on the new dif covers.

27067687_10216150525143675_7521604353422995340_n.jpg

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Maybe they thought you asked for a Re-gear :) .. To even comment on the price is nonsense. Do it yourself and have peace of mind.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
BTW... dealers can't even do an oil change right with half of them putting 6qts in instead of 5qts. I'd hate to see what they'd do to a diff, I could see them jacking the end up so they can get more in the drain hole before it runs out... lol.
In all seriousness keep your dealer's hands off of your Jeep if at all possible. Go to a mom and pop service shop for something like this if you can't do it.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I haven't done it on a JL but on the JK it cost me about $20 and 30 minutes to do it myself...

Auto Zone or Advanced usually has a 20% coupon. Gallon of Valvoline Diff Fluid and call it a day.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
gotta remember theyre gonna charge you about 140 an hour and probably about 3 hours labor plus oil. and if you have the limited slip there is an additive for the clutch plates. it is extremely high for what the job is but thats the dealer for you. might as well just get an oil pan and 4 qts of gear oil
And they're probably paying the kid who just graduated tech school $25/hour to do the work.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This highlights how much shop rates are now, $100 per hour in rural areas, $140 in the cities.
Relatively simple jobs, like brakes, are "dealer only", $2000 ( that's 3 zeroes) with auto braking, collision avoidance. Computer reset , dealer only code. DIY is under siege from the manufacturers, they need Service dollars to stay in business. And we are that source of income.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Good advice. But there are options (though not easy). You can turn the Jeep upside down or on it's side (like I did here with my Samurai - it's a lot easier to do maintenance on the bottom side this way), or jack up the vehicle on one side and remove an axle shaft and fill specified quantity.

But yeah, remove the fill plug first, including on the new dif covers.

27067687_10216150525143675_7521604353422995340_n.jpg
Excellent point. If your fill plug is stuck, you can always fill from the drain if you flip your jeep on it's top. Although this is usually done by the "hold my beer and watch this" professions.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
This highlights how much shop rates are now, $100 per hour in rural areas, $140 in the cities.
Relatively simple jobs, like brakes, are "dealer only", $2000 ( that's 3 zeroes) with auto braking, collision avoidance. Computer reset , dealer only code. DIY is under siege from the manufacturers, they need Service dollars to stay in business. And we are that source of income.
I have 2 vehicles with automatic braking systems and I have yet to hear that brake servicing requires dealer re-calibration of the auto braking/collision avoidance systems. I strongly believe you are mistaken.

It's true that manufacturers recommend a re-calibration of auto braking systems (if camera-based) when you replace your windscreen, though. Never heard of that for brakes.

And yeah, around the 'burbs of Cleveland, OH, shop rates are between $100-140 depending on dealer, chain, or indy.
Sponsored