Jeep vs deer (or other critters)

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Here in the burbs of DC the deer fatten up like crazy on the landscaping of the rich and famous. They are all over the place.

One time I hit a buck as it leapt over a Jersey wall where the construction for the new Inner Harbor and Wilson Bridge was taking place. We were coming home from church so the Ford F150 conversion van (which had horrible brakes) was full. I hit the brake pedal with both feet and locked my elbows to make sure I didn't swerve. Hit the deer broadside. He bounced off and ran about 50 yards and collapsed. Called my buddy because he also had a Caravan just in case my vehicle couldn't move. We also took the deer because I had a hunting license even though it was a Sunday. I confirmed with state police that it was o.k. to remove the animal.

Laid the deer out in the yard and had my friend take a picture of me posing with it with my Matthews bow! Processed the deer. Absolutely no waste. Weirdest thing ever. All I can attribute it to is shock.

That was 20 years ago and then the damage to the van was $4500.
Sponsored

Koufax80

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Knock on wood i've never hit anything with the bumper, but my windshield is batting 1.000 when it comes to collecting bugs.

OP
OP
Baddog2020

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I think you meant Rod Serling !
Thank you for the correction. Glad someone got the reference. Re-runs of Twilight Zone and the Honeymooners were required late-night tv in my neighborhood. Guess I’m dating myself a little

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
We have these too in many places in the U.S. also Elk.
We also have cows on two lane country roads during the night. In my state, the ranchers aren't liable unless you can prove their overall fencing is in disrepair. But I only totaled a car on a donkey when trying to miss a llama. Long story regarding varying farm animals running across the road at 5am in the morning.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is the Florida razorback can do great damage to the front end of a solid axle Chevy pickup.

For your listening pleasure (not fit for work):

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
We have a lot of deer in Northwest Montana. I clipped one with my Subaru and had a $2500 repair. Bought the Jeep a year ago and put on an RockHard aluminum front bumper so I could tow it. About a week alter I dead centered a mature buck. I figured way over the $2500 bill for the Subaru. Looked real close for damage and found nothing a good pressure wash wouldn't fix. Deer was a total loss.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Earlier this year I hit a turkey when I was driving on the highway at about 60. Luckily it hit the front grill and just loosened it up a little. Jeep 1, turkey 0!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Maybe we should do Deer-Rated badges? Yes? No? Probably no.

deer-rated.jpg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
4 nights a go, a deer tried to take out my jeep. lucky i was going slow and was able to hit the brakes fast. still clipped the deer hind leg. the deer kept on going and no damage to the jeep. that was one lucky night. however i've had at least 4 or 5 deer run across in front of me. 3 run along side of me. 2 staring at me off the side of the road. and one wild turkey waited for me to drive by so it can cross the road. i'm beginning to think of replacing the stock bumper to and arb steel bumper or similar type to protect the front end and grill of the jeep. when i had my 07 grand cherokee, a deer slammed in to me. lucky i had a westin grill guard on at the time. that guard saved the front end of the jeep.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal