Sponsored

Click! Park to reverse; 2019 JLU

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Sorry if this has been beat to death, I tried search

I get a fairly pronounced click when shifting from Park to Reverse. I do wait for RPM's to settle. Happens on level ground.
The mechanical side of me wants to think its just the parking pawl unlatching, Or just the driveline play being taken up. It is a fairly decent click, enough where it doesnā€™t sound good.
My first Jeep, I know they're not as refined some cars I have owned.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I used to get that too when I left it parked on an incline.

Iā€™ve also noticed that the parking break is absolute trash

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I believe this only happens when the weight of the Jeep is resting on the pawl.

again, since the parking break is trash, the weight of the Jeep usually rests on the pawl and not the parking break. Especially on an incline

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

I get a fairly pronounced click when shifting from Park to Reverse. I do wait for RPM's to settle. Happens on level ground.
The mechanical side of me wants to think its just the parking pawl unlatching, Or just the driveline play being taken up. It is a fairly decent click, enough where it doesnā€™t sound good.

Thanks
A way around it is to shift from P to N real quick, then from N shift to R. Should be able to reduce most of the ā€˜jerkā€™.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Shift to N, pull parking brake, release foot brake to allow weight to settle on the parking brake, then shift to P.
Shouldnā€™t have any drivetrain shock when you shift from P when you do this.
Thatā€™s always been my routine with every vehicle Iā€™ve owned. But with the Jeep it seems that the parking break doesnā€™t hold as tight as other vehicles. When I try this method on any sort of incline, the Jeep rolls back slightly and the weight falls on the pawl

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
No clunk for me - BUT I either park on the level or use the parking brake to hold the weight of Jeep before shifting into P. The cable seems to have a little more stretch in it than I am used to, but if I feel the Jeep move a little I'll simply pull it a couple more notches. This is driver's ed 101.
Maybe it's a Jeep thing, my GC is the same with the foot parking brake. A little gets you nothing, but properly applied, it will hold the jeep with a 4500 boat behind it on the boat ramp.

OP
OP

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thanks. Thatā€™s been my routine now. Park to neutral then drive or reverse. Weird thing is it does it mostly from Park to Reverse not Park to Drive. Again this is on level ground. I always use the parking brake regardless of grade.
Iā€™m wondering though still what exactly is happening mechanically? Parking pawl or driveline play.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Reverse gear is higher geared than first I think, so it's possible there's a bigger bang when it engages suddenly

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've had 2 JLUR's, the first a 2018 (totaled thanks to a jerk on his phone) and my current a 2019. They both make/made that sound when going from P to R. I notice it most in my garage where the sound reverberates off the close walls.

I thought it was a problem or issue on the 2018. When it did it on the 2019 I figured it was routine.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
As others have said, the key is using the parking brake to hold the weight of the Jeep, not the transmission. I don't do the neutral stuff though. My routine is:

Park/stop the vehicle. Keep foot on brake. Shift to Park. Pull up parking brake. Shut off and remove foot from brake. All the weight of the vehicle is on the parking brake not the transmission.

Then when you start it, you have to put your foot on brake, start engine, release parking brake, shift to D or R and then let off the brake pedal.

There should be no clanks (beyond the normal gear slack being taken up) or binding of the parking pawl if you do those things.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Thanks
I've had 2 JLUR's, the first a 2018 (totaled thanks to a jerk on his phone) and my current a 2019. They both make/made that sound when going from P to R. I notice it most in my garage where the sound reverberates off the close walls.

I thought it was a problem or issue on the 2018. When it did it on the 2019 I figured it was routine.
Hi Rustydog and ATX_Runner,
If you believe your vehicles are not operating as designed, we recommend having your dealer take a look. If additional assistance is needed throughout your service visit, please send us a private message.
Alex
JeepCares

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
I'm starting to get this driveline click when accelerating from a stop (besides drive and reverse). Like there's a tiny bit of slack down there somewhere. Is this something that will get worse overtime? Should I be worried? I had the same sound on my Mustang and ford changed out both rear half shafts, then the noise went away.
Sponsored