First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I bought a 2018 JLUR in 2018 ... made a promise to drive it stock for one year to better learn what upgrades were necessary. Finally went for the mods this fall. The OEM skid plates are not adequate for the odd shaped rocks we have in the Southwest, so a full Metalcloak skid plate package was added. Added a 2.5" Metalcloak lift that came out at 3.5". With the Metalcloak lift, I can simply change out the springs to achieve a 3.5" (probably 4.5") lift. Picked out BFG KM3 35x17x12.5" for the tires. Since the OEM wheels are simply too narrow for the larger tires, I bought new 9" wide wheels. With the wheels I bought, I can up-size the tires later with no problems. With the modest Metalcloak 2.5" lift and 35" tires, my Jeep handles on the highway a little better than before it was lifted. I think I have the correct balance between highway manners and offroad capability ... for me.

Plus, if I later want a bigger lift and tires, the cost is a modest $400 for the new springs and a not so modest $2000 for new tires. But, certainly less than my original upgrade.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CherryOnTop

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I bought a 2018 JLUR in 2018 ... made a promise to drive it stock for one year to better learn what upgrades were necessary. Finally went for the mods this fall. The OEM skid plates are not adequate for the odd shaped rocks we have in the Southwest, so a full Metalcloak skid plate package was added. Added a 2.5" Metalcloak lift that came out at 3.5". With the Metalcloak lift, I can simply change out the springs to achieve a 4.5" (probably 5.5") lift. Picked out BFG KM3 35x17x12.5" for the tires. Since the OEM wheels are simply too narrow for the larger tires, I bought new 9" wide wheels. With the wheels I bought, I can up-size the tires later with no problems. With the modest Metalcloak 2.5" lift and 35" tires, my Jeep handles on the highway a little better than before it was lifted. I think I have the correct balance between highway manners and offroad capability ... for me.

Plus, if I later want a bigger lift and tires, the cost is a modest $400 for the new springs and a not so modest $2000 for new tires. But, certainly less than my original upgrade.

OP
OP
CherryOnTop

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks '47. Your setup looks pretty much like what I'm deciding to do - except for the lift. I'm leaning toward the MC game changer 3-1/2" over 35"s. The 35"s I think are the best choice, I'm wary of the weight of the 37"s especially when the new wheels are 10-20lbs more than stock! You mention that your 2-1/2" lift yielded an actual 3-1/2" . Why is that ?

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Thanks '47. Your setup looks pretty much like what I'm deciding to do - except for the lift. I'm leaning toward the MC game changer 3-1/2" over 35"s. The 35"s I think are the best choice, I'm wary of the weight of the 37"s especially when the new wheels are 10-20lbs more than stock! You mention that your 2-1/2" lift yielded an actual 3-1/2" . Why is that ?
I don't know the reasoning behind the MC lifts running approximately one inch over the advertised dimension. My only change, between measurements, was lift and tires ... measured the before and after increase in height, subtracted out the increased tire radius, and the lift was an honest 3-1/2".

My stock wheels (OEM upgraded) and tires weighed in at 72# ... the new wheels (17x9) and 35" tires (35x12.5x17) weighted in at 101#. It's no so much the actual weight as the inertia of the larger wheels.

I don't rock crawl ... stick to a maximum 3.5 rated trails (maybe one or two select 4.0s) thus the 35" tires are perfect. Plus, they look more balanced with the resulting lift.

Install a bigger lift and bigger tires, and I guaranty you'll just look for bigger rocks to crawl over.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was playing around on the Rubicon trail last week.
JL on Rubicon.jpeg
My JLR has a Mopar lift(3" love it , properly installed it works) with AEV JL Pintler wheels and 37x12.5r17 Cooper STT Pros( very good hi-way and off-road). wheel and tire weight is under 108lbs.
My setup makes a trail like the Rubicon very do-able without dragging your rig. I mostly do easier trails than the Rubicon and my set up cruises thru them easily.
37x12.5 clear plastic liners with 3” lift, tires don’t need to stick out.
JL tire stick out.jpeg

Last edited:

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I installed a MC gamechanger 2.5 with the rock sport shocks this summer and glad I did. The handling is much better now on the highway as well as off-road. The shocks are a little stiffer so there is less body roll during cornering. The MC has adjustable control arms so caster is adjustable, unlike the stock setup. I also ended up with 3 to 3.5” of lift with the new suspension.

I’m running 315/70 KO2s on stock rims. I also liked the backspacing of the stock rims, but I had to add wheel spacers to allow the extra room for the suspension bits. Even though the wheels stick out more than I would have liked, it’s a small price to pay for the improvements.
858455ED-04DE-4B4E-A8BC-557D5EAFABD8.jpeg

OP
OP
CherryOnTop

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I was playing around on the Rubicon trail last week.
JL on Rubicon.jpeg
My JLR has a Mopar lift(3" love it , properly installed it works) with AEV JL wheels(don't stick out like roller skate wheels) and 37x12.5r17 Cooper STT Pros( very good hi-way and off-road). wheel and tire weight is under 110 lbs.
My setup makes a trail like the Rubicon very do-able without beating your rig. I like easier trails than the Rubicon and my set up cruises thru them easily.
AEV JL Pintle wheel offset
JL tire stick out.jpeg
Any rubbing with the 37's tucked under like that?

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
I'm in Arizona and have wheeled many of the most challenging trails. The Metalcloak 2.5"/3.5" lift with 35" tires is almost the default rig that shows up. Yes, there's guys on 40s. And yes, stock Rubicons show up too. But 3" on 35s seems to be the sweet spot.
Sponsored