Do you off-road

• Total voters
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
I am heading to the Hot Springs ORV Park this weekend. I have quite a bit off road experience but was wondering how rugged the three B of H trails are since I am running 40s on DANA 44s w/5.13 spicer gears? (Currie RockJock 60s coming soon) By the looks of videos I have seen it doesn't look to rugged as long as I take it easy.
I think you’ll be fine on those trails (Snake, Rubicon Ridge, Fun Run). Unless it’s muddy, the trails aren’t too difficult. There’s one tricky obstacle on Rubicon Ridge that you can bypass (near the beginning) and Snake has some tight off-camber segments (trees on both sides of trail) that 4-door Jeeps want to take slowly, but all in all, not too tough, great fun. You can do all three trails in one day if you start early. Lots of fun and Hot Springs AR is a nice town.
Sponsored

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
I think you’ll be fine on those trails (Snake, Rubicon Ridge, Fun Run). Unless it’s muddy, the trails aren’t too difficult. There’s one tricky obstacle on Rubicon Ridge that you can bypass (near the beginning) and Snake has some tight off-camber segments (trees on both sides of trail) that 4-door Jeeps want to take slowly, but all in all, not too tough, great fun. You can do all three trails in one day if you start early. Lots of fun and Hot Springs AR is a nice town.
Thx for the tips!

I have a couple friends that live in HS Village and decided to hit these trails and earn a few badges while up there.

FirecrackerRubi

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker red Rubicon Unlimited
I am heading to the Hot Springs ORV Park this weekend. I have quite a bit off road experience but was wondering how rugged the three B of H trails are since I am running 40s on DANA 44s w/5.13 spicer gears? (Currie RockJock 60s coming soon) By the looks of videos I have seen it doesn't look to rugged as long as I take it easy.

Slightly off-topic

How do you like the 40's on the stock axles? Any issues so far? I know a lot of people will advise against it but these axles are pretty tuff. I'm considering bumping up from 37's to 40's but hesitant bc I don't see many doing it. I'd love some feedback if you're willing to provide your thoughts.
Thanks

Dsax21

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
We wheel ours all the time. Been to Moab 3 times and have wheeled almost every weekend in Colorado over the summer. My only complaint is the turbo lag. Takes a few crawls to get used to the lag. Other than that, I haven’t had any issues.

We did have a 3.6L JLU Sport before our 2.0 Turbo JLUR. We took it to Moab once and did a few trails around Vail.

After wheeling both I would definitely do the 3.6L over the Turbo. Solely because of the turbo lag.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We wheel ours all the time. Been to Moab 3 times and have wheeled almost every weekend in Colorado over the summer. My only complaint is the turbo lag. Takes a few crawls to get used to the lag. Other than that, I haven’t had any issues.

We did have a 3.6L JLU Sport before our 2.0 Turbo JLUR. We took it to Moab once and did a few trails around Vail.

After wheeling both I would definitely do the 3.6L over the Turbo. Solely because of the turbo lag.
Is your Jeep stock? Mine off road is in boost all the time and I have zero lag. I have also owned both and for rock crawling in my opinion the 2.0 is the only way to go.

Sponsored

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
Slightly off-topic

How do you like the 40's on the stock axles? Any issues so far? I know a lot of people will advise against it but these axles are pretty tuff. I'm considering bumping up from 37's to 40's but hesitant bc I don't see many doing it. I'd love some feedback if you're willing to provide your thoughts.
Thanks
Like you, I feel the DANA 44 axles are fine running 40s as long as you use common sense. I did upgrade the gears to Spicer 5.13 and sync'd it with a FlashCal. I had a 1986 Toyota 4x4 with the 22R engine running 40" Dick Cepeks that I ran hard offroad and I never had axle or driveshaft issues. I KNOW the JL axles are much better than what was on that Toyota.

With that said, I am looking to add some DANA or CURRIE 60s in the near future for piece of mind... :)

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Would a stock Sahara 4dr fare well on the Snake?

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Would a stock Sahara 4dr fare well on the Snake?
I think so.

Snake is narrow and windy, but I don’t recall anything that’s too challenging, assuming it’s not muddy. I went when it was muddy once and recall struggling to keep my 4-door away from the trees.

Honestly, I think a stock Sahara could make it through all three, depending on your tolerance for a little undercarriage scraping.

Rubicon Ridge has a couple of obstacles where you may want a spotter. If you go with a group, I think you’ll be fine. Be sure to air down to help with a rocky incline towards the end. Are you running all terrain tires? If not those or mud terrains, you may want to pass.

Fun Run will probably give you the most trouble as it involves several rocky ascents, and I suspect your skid plates will get good use. This is my favorite trail and it really is fun.

The park is a great place to wheel and there’s something for everyone, even stock rav4s. Have fun!

Dsax21

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Is your Jeep stock? Mine off road is in boost all the time and I have zero lag. I have also owned both and for rock crawling in my opinion the 2.0 is the only way to go.
No it is not stock. 2.5in lift and bigger tires. I notice it most if I’m crawling and need to let off the gas and then hit the gas again.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Great comments here for 2.0T. Thanks!

Sponsored

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
62B80936-5ACA-433B-A653-FDBA9D5A2FB6.jpeg

2.0 is awesome off road, power etc is not an issue. Elevation had little to no effect.
Very nice looking JL. Looks like you wheel hard which is awesome and seems rare. Are you running 40’s on stock axles? If so have you had any issues or modified them in any way to increase the strength? If you have larger axles does the added weight hurt the 2.0 performance? Was there a noticeable difference in driving performance on or off road? Sorry for all the questions but wheel hard with 37’s and want to upgrade to 40’s but are told I’ll destroy the stock drive train and to 2.0 will not be able to handle it. So far the 2.0 has been awesome. Thanks and again awesome looking Jeep.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Very nice looking JL. Looks like you wheel hard which is awesome and seems rare. Are you running 40’s on stock axles? If so have you had any issues or modified them in any way to increase the strength? If you have larger axles does the added weight hurt the 2.0 performance? Was there a noticeable difference in driving performance on or off road? Sorry for all the questions but wheel hard with 37’s and want to upgrade to 40’s but are told I’ll destroy the stock drive train and to 2.0 will not be able to handle it. So far the 2.0 has been awesome. Thanks and again awesome looking Jeep.
I’m running a D60/80 setup and I have 41” tires. Who ever is telling you the 2.0 can’t handle it is wrong and misinformed. Im confident you will find it the exact opposite.

I’ve added about 1400 lbs of after market stuff to the Jeep and I don’t notice much of a difference. I can tell I am heavier than stock but it’s not anything a little tuning didn’t resolve.

If hard wheeling is your thing a good set of axles will remove any worries when you’re in the trail. But the 2.0 shouldn’t be of any concern.

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I’m running a D60/80 setup and I have 41” tires. Who ever is telling you the 2.0 can’t handle it is wrong and misinformed. Im confident you will find it the exact opposite.

I’ve added about 1400 lbs of after market stuff to the Jeep and I don’t notice much of a difference. I can tell I am heavier than stock but it’s not anything a little tuning didn’t resolve.

If hard wheeling is your thing a good set of axles will remove any worries when you’re in the trail. But the 2.0 shouldn’t be of any concern.
thanks for the good information, is what I thought but good to know for sure

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
On a pretty much stock 2018 JLU Sport S 2.0 I did Hartnet Road in UT's Capitol Reef national park which included fording a river that submerged my side steps, complete dirt road with twists and turns and some dig in stretches that require high clearance to get through. Also did Eye of the Whale arch trail (from South to North), quite a bit of rock crawling and one steep rocky grade, and tried to go up to Tower Arch but got stalled by the soft fluffy sand on the uphill (I didn't have an air compressor for my tires) and had to turn back. The sand before that was fine just the uphill got me on full tire pressure. I did more stuff in UT and CA as well but all moderates with rock crawling and didn't get stuck or have any issues in performance. Also went up through the Cascades during a blizzard. No issues there either.

I now have Rubi shocks and springs with a 1/2" spacer on the front. Pending steel bumper install. Maybe Rubi or wider tires over stock at least in the future.
Sponsored