Sponsored

Finally happy w My Setup (37s, Daily Driver)

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Finally got everything to a place where I'm SUPER happy with the ride as my daily driver. Thought I'd share my journey.

The Jeep
2018 2Dr Rubicon
7C4lIk6.jpg

*Taken after step 2

Me
Brand new Jeep owner, generally pretty mechanical but no experience working on suspension.
4 years ago I owned a 2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab with a 6inch spindle lift. No other experience lifted vehicles

The Setup

Before

SOFT, bouncy, tons of body roll, steering wander and bump steer

After

Firm-er but by no means harsh, planted, controlled

1. Installed 37x12.5x17 BFG KO2s

Temporary setup while I waited for my lift. Ran it for about 3 days. In that time I only rubbed once, going diagonally into a driveway - city driving only. I noticed a very slight decrease in power, MUCH less than I expected. I did notice a little more bump steer, but at this point I was still trying to dial in my tire pressure, so I'm not sure how much that can be contributed.

These tires ride nice and are VERY quiet. Similar to the stock 33s as expected.

2. Installed the EVO 2.5" Boost Lift
Seemed like a quality product, very robust. As a first time suspension tinkerer, instructions didn't blow me away, but weren't terrible. No issues. I was able to slap everything together at a very gingerly learning pace in about 10 hours.

Ride suffered a bit as I expected. Definitely seemed choppier. At this point body roll had become more of an issue.

3. Installed the EVO Front Overland Control Arm Drop Set
Seemed very well built. Install was somewhat straight forward. Unfortunately, I had a clearance issue with the exhaust loop on the drivers side that required some light modification. I'm fairly certain that I was one of the first 2 Doors to install a set of these, so my assumption is that maybe this was a 2 door issue that has since been resolved?

This made a significant difference in ride quality. The choppiness was gone, and it seemed to ride much closer to the stock suspension. IMO this is a must do if you can afford the ground clearance. No question if it's a daily driver.

4. Installed the Teraflex Rear Track Bar Axle Bracket Kit
Seemed like a decent enough product, no complaints. Was really impressed by Teraflex's instructions, significantly better than my experience with the EVO docs. If I were to compare the 2 manufacturers, EVOs products seemed WAY overbuilt, much more so than Teraflex. The Teraflex hardware seemed adequate in terms of stoutness, but a lot more finished and designed than EVO, which is less refined - I like both. Went on easy.

I didn't get much drive time before moving on to the next upgrade, but it definitely did center the rear axle. I'm not sure how much of an impact it made, exactly, but I would say it was slight from what I noticed. This is probably an okay skip, but its nice to know that all your geometry is no longer out of wack and it's relatively cheap.

5. Installed the JKS Adjustable Front Track Bar
This is an exceptionally quality product. I was very impressed. Weighs probably twice as much as the stock track bar. Installation was annoying, setting the track bar to the correct length was a time consuming process because it required you to disconnect it at the axle end for each adjustment.

This seemed to make a significant difference when it came to wander and bump steer. I feel like this is a very worthwhile upgrade.

6. Installed the Falcon 2.1 Shocks
As soon as you open the box, the craftsmanship that goes into these shocks becomes immediately apparent. The look and feel awesome, especially when compared to the stock rubi shocks. And again, Teraflex's instructions were a cut above the rest here, install was a breeze.

Wow, the difference these made was shocking. Absolutely night and day. Drives like a totally different Jeep. The mushiness, bounciness, nose diving and body roll - all gone. Bumps that used to throw the jeep into 2 or 3 rocks back and forth were now rebounding immediately. DO THIS UPGRADE. I'm happy with the Falcons but I'm sure there are other great options.

7. Installed the Falcon Nexus EF 2.1 Steering Stabilizer
Similar notes to the shocks. Instructions were great, quality was there. Was able to knock out the install in 1-1.5 hours.

Seemed to track a bit better, but the difference wasn't hugely significant. IMO worth doing, but an okay skip if budget isn't permitting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Good write up, and helpful to those shopping for parts. Did you take measurements? If so, how much lift? Looks like a lot more than 2.5”.

Five Seasons

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2009 BMW 135i, 2002 Honda S2000,
Thanks for the info on the terraflex bracket kit. I like a product that gives the impression that someone did some calculations rather than just making it as big as possible and adding pointless weight to a component that will never break in the first place.

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How tall is your Jeep now?

Might be the angle but looks like it barely made it under that beam with the top off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stino

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Good write up, and helpful to those shopping for parts. Did you take measurements? If so, how much lift? Looks like a lot more than 2.5”.
I did take measurements, it was pretty much true to the 2.5" that was advertised. It was one of the few lifts I could find that was uniform front and back, which was important to me because the 2dr Rubicons lean backward a bit stock. I think the 2 doors just looks really big lifted with 37s.

Very nice write up and the JLR looks awesome on 37’s. Well done. I say done, but as we ever really done modding?
TY TY. Haha yes for sure. I'm planning on swapping out the coils when theres more reviews available on 2 doors. I'm sure I'll mess everything up and head down a new mod path fixing it.

Thanks for the info on the terraflex bracket kit. I like a product that gives the impression that someone did some calculations rather than just making it as big as possible and adding pointless weight to a component that will never break in the first place.
I'm sure EVO knows their stuff, but Teraflex definitely gives off the impression that they've put a lot of effort into the fit and finish of their products. I like both brands. I also like that my lower control arm brackets feel like they came off a dump truck.

How tall is your Jeep now?

Might be the angle but looks like it barely made it under that beam with the top off.
Probably more about the angle. It was 6'4" to the top of the hardtop after the lift and tires, I think it probably gained a 1/4" or so after the shocks, but haven't measured.

vtech243

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL & BMW X3 M40i
Cool write-up! I’m also running 37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KO2 on the Mopar 2” Lift Kit w/ Fox Shocks — interesting that you are running at 31 PSI. Seems like everyone on the forums favors lower. I’m at 33 PSI & getting 16 MPG on the highway. I was at 37 PSI (factory recommendation for the 33 KO2s) and my logic was since I’m going ~10% bigger I should drop PSI ~10%. Might play with it down to 31 now that I have my Tazer JL to kill any annoying TPMS warning lights. I’m super in-between on an aftermarket stabilizer. I had some bad shimmy issues when I first put on the tires which ended up being balance-related. I still get a shimmy on bumps over 30 MPH but it goes away quickly (and I’ve gotten used to it at this point). Might wait a little longer to see some more reviews. Although there was a guy on the forums who just did a 2,000 mile journey with the JL and said the stabilizer was night/day difference ... shoot I’m going to have to spend more money :asshat::computerrage:

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
What kinda bumpstops are you running, height wise. It looks like you could easily run 37s with less then 2.5" if the fenders were trimmed.

I ask because my last jkr 2 door was on 37s with a 2.5" lift and I had that much room after trimming the fenders and 3" bumpstops. Any bigger would have required more lift. At least from your photo it looks like you could even get a bigger tire in there if you wanted. Looks great, love the 2 doors :like:

Saltysnook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door 2.0
Finally got everything to a place where I'm SUPER happy with the ride as my daily driver. Thought I'd share my journey.

The Jeep
2018 2Dr Rubicon
7C4lIk6.jpg

*Taken after step 2

Me
Brand new Jeep owner, generally pretty mechanical but no experience working on suspension.
4 years ago I owned a 2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab with a 6inch spindle lift. No other experience lifted vehicles

The Setup

Before

After

Temporary setup while I waited for my lift. Ran it for about 3 days. In that time I only rubbed once, going diagonally into a driveway - city driving only. I noticed a very slight decrease in power, MUCH less than I expected. I did notice a little more bump steer, but at this point I was still trying to dial in my tire pressure, so I'm not sure how much that can be contributed.

Seemed like a quality product, very robust. As a first time suspension tinkerer, instructions didn't blow me away, but weren't terrible. No issues. I was able to slap everything together at a very gingerly learning pace in about 10 hours.

Ride suffered a bit as I expected. Definitely seemed choppier. At this point body roll had become more of an issue.

Seemed very well built. Install was somewhat straight forward. Unfortunately, I had a clearance issue with the exhaust loop on the drivers side that required some light modification. I'm fairly certain that I was one of the first 2 Doors to install a set of these, so my assumption is that maybe this was a 2 door issue that has since been resolved?

This made a significant difference in ride quality. The choppiness was gone, and it seemed to ride much closer to the stock suspension. IMO this is a must do if you can afford the ground clearance. No question if it's a daily driver.

Seemed like a decent enough product, no complaints. Was really impressed by Teraflex's instructions, significantly better than my experience with the EVO docs. If I were to compare the 2 manufacturers, EVOs products seemed WAY overbuilt, much more so than Teraflex. The Teraflex hardware seemed adequate in terms of stoutness, but a lot more finished and designed than EVO, which is less refined - I like both. Went on easy.

I didn't get much drive time before moving on to the next upgrade, but it definitely did center the rear axle. I'm not sure how much of an impact it made, exactly, but I would say it was slight from what I noticed. This is probably an okay skip, but its nice to know that all your geometry is no longer out of wack and it's relatively cheap.

This is an exceptionally quality product. I was very impressed. Weighs probably twice as much as the stock track bar. Installation was annoying, setting the track bar to the correct length was a time consuming process because it required you to disconnect it at the axle end for each adjustment.

This seemed to make a significant difference when it came to wander and bump steer. I feel like this is a very worthwhile upgrade.

As soon as you open the box, the craftsmanship that goes into these shocks becomes immediately apparent. The look and feel awesome, especially when compared to the stock rubi shocks. And again, Teraflex's instructions were a cut above the rest here, install was a breeze.

Wow, the difference these made was shocking. Absolutely night and day. Drives like a totally different Jeep. The mushiness, bounciness, nose diving and body roll - all gone. Bumps that used to throw the jeep into 2 or 3 rocks back and forth were now rebounding immediately. DO THIS UPGRADE. I'm happy with the Falcons but I'm sure there are other great options.

Similar notes to the shocks. Instructions were great, quality was there. Was able to knock out the install in 1-1.5 hours.

Seemed to track a bit better, but the difference wasn't hugely significant. IMO worth doing, but an okay skip if budget isn't permitting.
Thanks for the detailed write up!

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I think the 2 doors just looks really big lifted with 37s.
Wait for it. They'll start to look small. Ask me how I know.

Sick white Jeep bro.:rock:

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wait for it. They'll start to look small. Ask me how I know.

Sick white Jeep bro.:rock:
True story. My JL looks tiny next to my 2dr JK on 42s.

DMentdJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon
The Jeep
2018 2Dr Rubicon

The Setup
  • 37x12.5x17 BFG KO2 @ 31 PSI

Temporary setup while I waited for my lift. Ran it for about 3 days.

I did notice a little more bump steer, but at this point I was still trying to dial in my tire pressure, so I'm not sure how much that can be contributed.

So did you install the 37s on Stock rig before any modifications?

Seems like quite the cooking list of equipment. Bad glad you where able to dial it in. How? Who? and not sure I follow the disconting the axel for the track bar adjustment...? Why did you opt for the JKS and not a bracket up front?

So the rear track bar bracket did the trick on the rear?

Just got my 2022 3 days ago and I am chomping at the bit on my build. Kicking aournd the Teraflex ST3 sport 3.5" for my build but damn your budget seem spot on.

DMentdJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon

The Jeep
2018 2Dr Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Finally happy w My Setup (37s, Daily Driver) 7C4lIk6

*Taken after step 2

Me

The Setup

Before

After

So about $2000 for all parts w/shocks?
Did you do the install?
did you have to do a alignment?
Sponsored