Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

It's on a 67 Designs phone mount.
Icom has a magnetic mount plate so I can remove it in a few seconds
@Hgrace - thank you. I was actually asking about the radio itself - are the two screws you have tapped into the crossbar under the steering wheel the only thing supporting the radio? Or is there something else higher up?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hgrace

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
@Hgrace - thank you. I was actually asking about the radio itself - are the two screws you have tapped into the crossbar under the steering wheel the only thing supporting the radio? Or is there something else higher up?
It's just screwed into that crossbar at least 2 #10 tek screws dabbed with silicone adhesive. It's extremely solid as the radio is wedged in there. I keep an RT cable plugged in for easy programming. It's not going anywhere.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Hgrace, very nice, clean installations! (Style counts!)

I am planning to install the same or similar fuse block when I install replacement horns and auxiliary driving lights with relays. If I was doing only one, maybe I'd go with an inline fuse, but with two I need a power distribution block or buss, so it might as well incorporate the fuses. I don't see any covered 2-fuse units on Amazon, but I see they make 4-fuse units. Unfortunately, both 4- and 6-fuse units have fairly sizeable baseplates, about 3.5" wide.

The firewall seems one of the few places under the hood where one can mount that size baseplate. How did you mount the fuse block on your Wrangler's firewall? It looks like you mounted specifically to the horizontal plastic part that spans the firewall, perhaps part of the ventilation system. If you used screws, did they hold OK?

Another location option I might consider is mounting the fuse block on a steel reinforcement strip, then bolting to the right fender, suspending the fuse block in the gap between the battery and the fender. But I like your location better.

A second question: Did you cover or insulate the 12 volt "hot" input screw on the fuse block? Not sure if that is critical, but if FCA puts a red cover over the positive battery terminal, maybe something similar would be called for on an equally hot buss bolt.

Thanks!

MH

jpclark

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Xtreme Recon
Got my 67 Designs drivers side mount in. Now just thinking about a mic hook location
20190401_121901.jpg
I'm planning on connecting a Yaesu FTM-400 the same way and I'm curious about the route you took for the wiring, to connect the head-unit to the base? Could you please describe it what what needed to be pulled to do it?

VitaminK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL and military HMMWV
Any idea how to get power through the firewall? I’ve checked on YouTube and such. Some people have a hole at the left and right of the dashboard and can punch through some foam...I don’t have that hole .

Sponsored

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
Did you customize a mount for the radio or buy a premade mount? Were you able to fish the cables to the head unit from the base behind the dash? Can you update us on that part please? I am doing a similar build soon, but it looks like I may need a bracket for the base.

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Did you customize a mount for the radio or buy a premade mount? Were you able to fish the cables to the head unit from the base behind the dash? Can you update us on that part please? I am doing a similar build soon, but it looks like I may need a bracket for the base.
I'll share what I ended up doing with inspiration from this.
Other users pointed out that some Jeeps have an electronic module of some sort mounted on the brackets under the steering column. If yours does, this won't work, but mine doesn't.

I ordered the bracket that is used for mounting that electronic module, MOPAR part# 68294415AA. It cost me less than $10 to the door from MyOEMMoparParts.com.

Since that bracket is designed to bolt to the cross bars under the steering wheel, I did some orientation experiments, drilled some holes in the bracket (not sure why I am unwilling to drill holes in the Jeep parts that came with my Jeep, but it's OK for parts I bought separately LOL), and mounted the radio bracket to the MOPAR bracket.

upload_2019-11-18_18-28-48.png

upload_2019-11-18_18-29-27.png

Then I screwed the MOPAR bracket into where it was intended to go. :)

Power - I have a stick, so no access through the driver's side firewall since the clutch is taking up that hole others use. I had to get through the main harness bundle on the passenger's side. I fished a large cable tie through, since they are smooth and flat, then used it to pull the power and antenna wires back through.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
I'm planning on connecting a Yaesu FTM-400 the same way and I'm curious about the route you took for the wiring, to connect the head-unit to the base? Could you please describe it what what needed to be pulled to do it?
JP, I don't know if you ever got the answer you were looking for, but here is how I did it.
Another FTM-400 Ham Radio Install - Pic heavy

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
FYI, for all who are considering mounting a radio here, the factory module that goes in this location appears to be the power inverter. So if you have a 110 VAC outlet, then you will already have a module in this location, which is unfortunate, because I think it's a good location for a radio.

IdahoGem

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2 door 1972 Challenger 440
Vehicle Showcase
I'll share what I ended up doing with inspiration from this.
Other users pointed out that some Jeeps have an electronic module of some sort mounted on the brackets under the steering column. If yours does, this won't work, but mine doesn't.

I ordered the bracket that is used for mounting that electronic module, MOPAR part# 68294415AA. It cost me less than $10 to the door from MyOEMMoparParts.com.

Since that bracket is designed to bolt to the cross bars under the steering wheel, I did some orientation experiments, drilled some holes in the bracket (not sure why I am unwilling to drill holes in the Jeep parts that came with my Jeep, but it's OK for parts I bought separately LOL), and mounted the radio bracket to the MOPAR bracket.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM Dual Band Install nearly complete upload_2019-11-18_18-29-27

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM Dual Band Install nearly complete upload_2019-11-18_18-29-27

Then I screwed the MOPAR bracket into where it was intended to go. :)

Power - I have a stick, so no access through the driver's side firewall since the clutch is taking up that hole others use. I had to get through the main harness bundle on the passenger's side. I fished a large cable tie through, since they are smooth and flat, then used it to pull the power and antenna wires back through.
I am really glad I found your pictures and idea. I did have the factory converter module but I never use the 120v power so it was an easy thing to remove and replace with my Ham radio. I had searched and searched all over for some room to put it that wasn't in the way or out in the open. I was striking out with everyplace I looked or could think of. This ended up being much cleaner and easier. Need to say a huge thank you.

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

I am really glad I found your pictures and idea. I did have the factory converter module but I never use the 120v power so it was an easy thing to remove and replace with my Ham radio. I had searched and searched all over for some room to put it that wasn't in the way or out in the open. I was striking out with everyplace I looked or could think of. This ended up being much cleaner and easier. Need to say a huge thank you.
Thank you for the response - I'm happy that someone benefited from the post.

I'm in the process of starting over with a new Jeep, though I did manage to pull the radio gear from the first one before it went off to the auction yard.
Sponsored