Anyone see JL BYPASS shocks @ SEMA?

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
I know Bilstein has their 8100 series they had at SEMA 2018 and 2019 and still no word on timing of release.... fox has their 3.0 bypass shocks but they are severely limited with one model 2-3” and with crappy travel specifications....lame... does anyone know if there are other bypass shocks on the horizon? I figured King will be putting some out soon for the JL...
Thank you!
Sponsored

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620

Sponsored

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just put the 3.3's on mine, replaced the Mopar Fox. A little firmer, even on soft, on the road. Haven't done any real crawling with them yet, but on road they are an improvement.

https://www.falconshocks.com/sp2-mode-adjust-shocks
Those are reservoir shocks but I appreciate the reply. There are external bypass and internal bypass shocks. The only internal bypass shocks so far for the JL are the OME BP-51 shocks, and the fox 3.0s.

external so far don’t exist in the wild yet but I was hoping they would be. ADS while they do have them (I contacted them) are not selling them direct, only through a fabrication 3rd party.

some pics attached of the external bypass for the JK jeep for your knowledge

8B936081-C3B3-42CD-884D-572B1AB15540.png

7CE8EC35-B431-46E5-9C62-B7C69C7ACFA6.png

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing with internal bypass shocks is the packaging that it takes to make the bypass functionality work causes the travel and extended and compressed lengths to be different than usual for a given size package, hence the Fox 3.0 specs seem so far off. I've heard that they have a longer travel coming out, but I don't know when.

Also note that internal bypass functionality is mostly limited to replicating a bump stop (simplified explanation), different than external bypass that you can tune through the different stages of shock travel.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing with internal bypass shocks is the packaging that it takes to make the bypass functionality work causes the travel and extended and compressed lengths to be different than usual for a given size package, hence the Fox 3.0 specs seem so far off. I've heard that they have a longer travel coming out, but I don't know when.

Also note that internal bypass functionality is mostly limited to replicating a bump stop (simplified explanation), different than external bypass that you can tune through the different stages of shock travel.
Indeed, also the tight confines of the front shock mounting location limits external bypass design as well for now... The rear looks nice and spacious. Accutune has something in the works but this is using their coilover mount.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I know Bilstein has their 8100 series they had at SEMA 2018 and 2019 and still no word on timing of release.... fox has their 3.0 bypass shocks but they are severely limited with one model 2-3” and with crappy travel specifications....lame... does anyone know if there are other bypass shocks on the horizon? I figured King will be putting some out soon for the JL...
Thank you!
Not sure what you mean by a bypass shock for a JL. Do you mean ones that come with a mounting kit, ones that are valved for a JL, or something else?

You can take any off the shelf bypass shock, fab up a dual shock mount for each corner, and get them valved. Stock valving is always a compromise and is never perfect even if they are advertised as "valved specifically for the JL" since every JL is different.

What @2Wheel-Lee said about shock lengths being different is true, if you're running trailing arms or leading arms with the shocks mounted on the arms. But with the shocks mounted on the axle, the travel will need to be roughly the same as your normal shocks.

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead

Sponsored

SS_AP

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
We're running Bilstein 9200 Triple Bypass on the JT that we built for SEMA. Other than machining the bushing for the rear to fit a larger diameter fastener and using Rock Krawler Coilover mounts on the front, they pretty much bolted right up. These are the 60mm ones - can give you part numbers if you're really curious.

Also, I know you said JL, but I'm pretty sure that they will work for the JL, too, with minimal modification.

IMG_0842 3.jpg
IMG_0844 2.jpg

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We're running Bilstein 9200 Triple Bypass on the JT that we built for SEMA. Other than machining the bushing for the rear to fit a larger diameter fastener and using Rock Krawler Coilover mounts on the front, they pretty much bolted right up. These are the 60mm ones - can give you part numbers if you're really curious.

Also, I know you said JL, but I'm pretty sure that they will work for the JL, too, with minimal modification.

IMG_0842 3.jpg
That tie-rod tube clamp...are those available? I have reservations about the standard SS clamps.

SS_AP

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
That tie-rod tube clamp...are those available? I have reservations about the standard SS clamps.
Pictured is actually our 1-3/4" Aluminum Tie Rod with clamps. These clamps are different from the chromoly tube. It should be ready available to order before Christmas. What is your concern about the clamps? You can shoot me a DM if you want and I'll answer whatever questions your might have.
Sponsored