Sponsored

Diesel Engine in a Jeep - why?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's because the are Sick.Oh engines.
The 7.3 was phenomenal. Mine is at 235K miles and 18 years with no engine work other that routine maintenance. It just goes and goes and goes... slowly, but goes.
7.3 was pre-2007 emissions.

No EGR, no DEF, etc
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
7.3 was pre-2007 emissions.

No EGR, no DEF, etc
Exactly. I'm not saying that these new Jeep FCA diesels are any good. No way I'd get one. It doesn't make sense. The emission controls and the currently happening additional restrictions on software tuning (and deleting) of diesels is killing moderns diesels.

My 01 F250 7.3 is a non catalyst engine. My truck came factory with no emissions and its it's its going to run for ever. Old diesel tech at its best.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Out of curiosity what is the cost difference between diesel and gas in the US?
It varies wildly by state. In Southern California right now regular unleaded is about $4/gal, while diesel is $0.10 less. Diesel costs less to make, but prices are more a factor of supply/demand and state taxes.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Out of curiosity what is the cost difference between diesel and gas in the US?
I've had a Diesel JK for 8 years and was averaging 26Mpg now that I am in the 3.6 JL I am getting between 17-18Mpg.... The price of Diesel and Gas of course fluctuate but they are normally head to head here, every now and then gas shoots up through the roof and becomes 25% or so more expensive than diesel...

Also I don't recall ever having headaches on diesel specific maintenance on the JK....
This is the national average:
Screenshot_20191117-184042_Chrome.jpg

And this is my state:
Screenshot_20191117-184146_Chrome.jpg

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Thanks for all the responses! :like: So it seems to fluctuate but be head to head with premium gas, same as here then...
Though we pay on average AU$6 per gallon.... or AU$1.6 / Litre.... though it sometimes skyrockets to $2 / Litre or $7.6 a gallon which would be $5.20 USD a gallon... :(

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Ok, let's back away from paper and get to the real world. That is not at all how the V6 behaves on the rocks in low range, particularly in a Rubicon. I've idled up steep hills in low range, 1st gear. Rock crawling is about gear ratios. The Rubicon with a manual, 4.10 final drive, and 4:1 transfer case can literally idle up just about anything.

There is an 84.2:1 crawl ratio with a Rubicon manual, and 77.2:1 with the auto. The 2.0 and V6 both will have zero issues in the rocks with power. None. Nada. Those are the best crawl ratios yet in a Wrangler, and they are attached to the two most powerful engines, the 2.0 and 3.6.

Also, for the record, the V6 also gets 90% of its torque at under 2000 rpm. The torque curve is flat. If the 3000 rpm statement's purpose is hyperbole, then fine. If you are talking peak torque, fine. But the fact is that you don't have to get to 3000 rpm to get into the torque band on that engine. It comes much, much lower than that.

Maybe the 2.0 runs rings around it with the auto, but the manual V6 is the quickest production Jeep ever made, 0-60, and I'd bet in the quarter mile, as well. I seriously doubt the auto is much different, but I'm not as familiar with the auto and how it feels. I've only driven it a couple times. I've driven the 2.0, and it does feel strong in city driving.

The diesel is going to be amazing off road, but the 2.0 and 3.6 are absolutely 100% fine in that realm. They simply don't struggle in low range. If they do, you are in the wrong gear.

For the record, I've seen numerous Rubicons with the 3.6 and 37's crawling all over the place and their drivers with huge smiles as they went. Nobody was getting north of 2000 rpm, either, uless on a smooth trail or in the dunes.
The biggest advantages the 3.0 will hold off-road are range (a huge factor for folks like myself in AK who can find 800-mile runs off pavement), and tackling more terrain in 4H when the 3.6 and 2.0 would be locked in 4L. Almost every journalist who drove the 3.0 commented on this. Regardless of your type of wheeling, less T-case shifts are a welcome upside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Options are always good, even if you don't like/want/need/care:like:
I dont think anyone would disagree with you on that.

Point of the thread was to open up a dialogue about the pros(and cons) of a diesel engine in a wrangler.

I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of diesel engines is limited of sorts.

Great thing about forum debate is the oppurtunity to learn.

For those with limited knowledge of Jeeps or mechanics, it can be an invaluable tool.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this was said... It could simply be for international market. When traveling to DR and Costa Rica I wondered why there were no Jeeps. I was told (correct or not) that diesel is the fuel of choice there. Yes, this is not going to bump there sales that much but could be a factor.
If anyone has more facts on this... chime in. My source could be wrong

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think anyone would disagree with you on that.

Point of the thread was to open up a dialogue about the pros(and cons) of a diesel engine in a wrangler.

I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of diesel engines is limited of sorts.

Great thing about forum debate is the oppurtunity to learn.

For those with limited knowledge of Jeeps or mechanics, it can be an invaluable tool.
Finding useful knowledge does happen here from time to time. You just have to sort through the screeching from people that are offended that people use their jeep for something different than a very specific thing they do.

Different Jeep builds for different Jeep uses. I'd find the 3.0 to be great off road, and as I already have to drive an hour to get to some real off road trails regens won't be an issue. Plus with ESS I don't think you'd have to deal with regens as often as some people in here are thinking (prepare for more screeching about start/stop). In order to have a clogged DPF you'd have to sit and idle your engine all day, every day. A DPF is no good on a bucket truck for that reason, but just driving to and from work, and trails you'll be fine.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this was said... It could simply be for international market. When traveling to DR and Costa Rica I wondered why there were no Jeeps. I was told (correct or not) that diesel is the fuel of choice there. Yes, this is not going to bump there sales that much but could be a factor.
If anyone has more facts on this... chime in. My source could be wrong
Export models do have a 2.2 Diesel, but I don't think its an engine that could pass emissions testing here in the US.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What's the benefit of putting a diesel engine in a Jeep Wrangler?

It weighs much more, fuel is much more $$(may last longer but costs more) and to my knowledge is more "sluggish" than the gasoline V6.(plus all other small differences)

Is it one of those "because we can" things or is there a real benefit other than bragging rights??
People like to have more "range", but range is limited by the fact that AAA says only 51% of stations in the U.S. sell diesel.

People like to have more MPGs, but the savings is offset by the fact that AAA says the U.S. average is $0.51/gallon higher for diesel vs. 87 octane gasoline and the diesel adds 450 lbs. of weight to the vehicle.

People like to have higher resale value, but the resale may be drastically offset by the 5-figure repair bills if the cam sprockets spin free and wipe out the engine, or the Bosch CP.4 fuel injection pump contaminates the entire system, etc. which are common failures. Even routine parts replacements are exponentially more expensive.

So at the end of the day, you're paying an ANNUAL premium to drive the diesel, and the only reason you'd do that is for the feel. To feel the torque. That's the only logical reason.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
For me, the desire to own a Wrangler with a diesel began in 2014. After purchasing an Ecodiesel RAM then, I soon became spoiled by its power delivery. I prefer itā€™s ā€œ low impedanceā€ feel (if I may use an electrical analogy), how it will hold upper gears on modest hills and headwinds. I like the low rpm power. I like the range and mpg also.

If my typical trip lengths were short, where the engine wouldnā€™t reach normal operating temp most all the time, I would stick with a gas engine. My wifeā€™s commute to work is only 5 miles. She will continue to use our 3.6 JK for her commutes.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
So at the end of the day, you're paying an ANNUAL premium to drive the diesel, and the only reason you'd do that is for the feel. To feel the torque. That's the only logical reason.
And? People pay a premium to do a Hemi swap to achieve the same all while getting even worse mpgs. Who cares what others spend their money on. If that's what they want to do and it makes them happy so be it.
Sponsored